We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants

Perth
Level Contributor
35 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants

Hi

We are planning a holiday to Fiji with our kids 10 & 7. We have been considering the resorts on the Coral Coast e.g. Outrigger but when we go on holiday we prefer to go to local restaurants rather than eat in hotels. However I get the impression that these resorts are fairly isolated with no alternative eateries nearby. Is this the case? Are there any other areas on Vitu Levu that would offer good restaurant choices?

Bundaberg, Australia
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants

If you stay at the Outrigger, head to the beach, turn right and about 100mtrs (if that) head up off the beach to the road and the first place you will come to is Johnny's...food basic but good for the price. Then next along the Sunset Strip is Les Cafe....food OK and the drinks cold. Bedarra Inn which I can highly recommend, is next along (top food but a little more upscale quality and $ wise) and if you want pizza, a bit further is Cassablanca. In Sigatoka (taxi needed, but not over the top in distance) is a local curry house called Raj's. Nothing to look at but the curry's are basic, pretty good and local fare.

Colorado
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants

You might also consider the Pacific Harbour area. There are several resorts that are either walking distance or a short taxi ride from one another, restaurants and shops. Taunovo Bay Resort is really nice, and probably has the best restaurant in the area, but also one of the more expensive. Uprising is more basic, but more centrally located. Meals there are good, but not great. The Pearl is OK if you don't mind more of a hotel environment, but the food has been getting complaints. Still, it is centrally located and lots of activities. You could even get into Suva for the day.

Tuncurry, Australia
Level Contributor
734 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants

Hi

As well as the places already suggested by bluey on the sunset strip try the crow’s nest just up the road a bit more all of these places are locally owned and are cheaper than the outrigger, but remember Fiji isn’t renown for great food its good and plentiful but not spectacular

Johnny also has a taxi that is much cheaper than the ones at the resort if you want to go and try the restaurants in Sigatoka

Any of the resorts on Denarau give you access to several restaurants at the marina and the golf club a bit more up market but you pay for it

Dave

melbourne
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants

If you want to eat at local restaurants I think the Outrigger is a good choice. As mentioned by other posters there are a number of restaurants along the Sunset Strip that offer good food at reasonable prices. If you travel into Sigatoka don't limit yourself to the main tourist area walk down the road (toward Nadi) where there are quite a few local eateries. Also if you get the chance hire a car or take a taxi to Tommy Luu's restaurant which is located near the causeway to the Shangri La's Fijian resort in the town of Cuvu. I ensure I eat there at least once every time I'm in Fiji.

Brisbane Qld
Level Contributor
212 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants

you are staying at the Outrigger on the Coral Coast Fiji and you want to eat out at a local resturant

then one local place you cannot go past Danny's Village Homestay ...it is just down the road from the Outrigger.

Danny offers a lovo lunch or dinner (your choice) right on the beach and it is as local as it comes. He serves up fresh food from his garden plantation and if you plan it right your children can help in the preparation. You will experience traditional Fiji cooking. While it is cooking you can tour the village or take a stroll along the beach. Danny's is right on the beach any closer and you will be in the water. Take a look at the pictures he has on his website. Your children will love the experience.

Lovo is the traditional way Fijians cook their food under ground.

6. Re: Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2010, 05:17