We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stray animals in fiji ??

melbournechloe
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Stray animals in fiji ??

Hi

I was needing some advice on Fiji resorts, beaches and streets. Are there stray animals wondering around like there are in Thailand. It is greatly upsetting to me and I would like to know what to expect in FIJI re stray animals wondering around ?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,592 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stray animals in fiji ??

No that you would notice. Most of the animals belong to a village some don't look to well fed but they probably have worms even thought they get enough to eat they look on the skinny side. Don't stress.

melbournechloe
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Stray animals in fiji ??

i am concerned as this issue deeply ruined my Thailand trip and a friend seems to think Fiji may be the same. It is very disturbing as i am a huge animal lover. I dont know what to expect of Fiji. In thailand even the 5 star resorts we stayed at, had occasionals strays on the beach and resort.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stray animals in fiji ??

As Hooked said, Fiji is not like that at all. On Mana Island where I normally stay when in Fiji there were a couple of cats wandering through the resort but they looked well feed and were not a problem at all. Think they belonged to the villigers that live on the island. We visited a couple of other islands with resorts and saw no evedince of 'stray animals'. I am an animal lover as well and it would also upset me greatly if I saw what you did in Thailand.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stray animals in fiji ??

When you say "strays" do you mean dogs??? Yes you'll see them on the side of the roads, along with cattle and horses that look like they need a good feed. In the confinement of a resort your highly unlikely to see any.

Only dogs we saw in Thailand were around the Temples and were well feed by the monks, didn't see any on the beaches nor streets.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
437 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stray animals in fiji ??

I know exactly what you are referring too as I saw alot of stray animals in Thailand and Cambodia... most of SEA infact.

Fiji is not like that... Yes they let their animals roam and be free but they always belong to a village or someone. There is plenty of food in Fiji so dont think they are starving,,, they are not... but they do look alittle on the skinny side at times but that is due to worms.

You will only see these animals in a village and close to villages etc,,, You will never see an animal in the resorts...

In Asia animals are scavengers,, they are not in Fiji.

Fiji
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Stray animals in fiji ??

I need to respond to some inaccuracies re strays. Fiji has a huge problem with stray dogs, most tourists get off the plane, transfer straight to a resort, have their holiday, get back on a plane and go home. This does not warrant comments such as "Fiji is not like that at all". Because of owners allowing their animals to "roam and be free" Fiji has ended up with a serious stray dog problem. These dogs are starving, riddled with worms, mange, some have broken legs from being hit by cars/buses that do not stop. The Ministry did a poison cull of these strays, hundreds of dogs were left to die a slow and very painful death.

I urge you to get into contact with the The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. (SPCA) and get factual and real advise. Maybe even leave a donation or volunteer your time. They are pushing for trapping of these dogs, not poisoning, then having these dogs sterilized and hopefully put up for adoption to responsible pet owners.

Please do not down play this issue, you are doing a disservice to these unfortunate animals that do not have a choice.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
437 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stray animals in fiji ??

Forthedogs

1 comment in your history and you expect us to take your seriously.

You obviously have a agenda,, this is a holiday forum

Please be aware of that!

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stray animals in fiji ??

Forthedogs,

Thank you for this information and appreciate your honesty.

Julie.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,308 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stray animals in fiji ??

Fiji does have a problem with stray dogs. We have read several articles on line in the Fiji Times regarding this subject.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stray animals in fiji ??

Yes thebirchadventure......I was thinking the same think when I read the post from forthedogs. I have read the excate same statement before on the Mana Island forum a year or so ago.