We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Wife & Her Odd Concept Of A Vacation

Scandia, Minnesota
Level Contributor
16 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
My Wife & Her Odd Concept Of A Vacation

Ann believes that an hour at the pool or an hour on the beach is an hour that is wasted:)

Her concept of a vacation is to get up at 5 am, hit the botanical gardens "before the crowds arrive", then go to a native art school and take a class in embrodery with fabric that she first makes and dyes, then off to the Museum Of Clay, then to a tour of historic homes made with shingles that were imported from Iceland and then by noon, she really kicks it into gear.

Only person on the planet that returns from vacation near collapse from exhaustion.

We have to balance. I put up with her stuff and she'll grudgingly swim and pout for an hour.

We're going to be in Nadi, Denarau and then at the Intercontinental. Sadly not going to the other islands but will undoubtedly do some boat stuff and snorkling, which she DOES like. She loves sealife.

I found a pottery village. I found a school tour. She looked at the Fiji book and said, and I quote, "It doesn't look like there's anything to do."

She loves nature, photography, art, crafts, education.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Wife & Her Odd Concept Of A Vacation

What about river rafting and adventure stuff? Is that an option?

Scandia, Minnesota
Level Contributor
16 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Wife & Her Odd Concept Of A Vacation

Absolutely. We have a 7 and a 9 year-old but hiking and stuff and river tours, for sure.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Wife & Her Odd Concept Of A Vacation

I am traveling to Fiji in April - never been yet; However I was surfing the boards and saw your question, so I posted. I am sure once the Kiwis & Aussie's wake up you will get more replies! Here is what I looked at... www.RiversFiji.com

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Wife & Her Odd Concept Of A Vacation

For "botanical gardens" read "Sleeping Giant Orchid Gardens" - between Nadi and Lautoka. (No crowds, you can get there a bit later than 5am!!) Don't take a 'guided tour' - get a rental or even a taxi will be cheaper and you can take your time.

Markets? - see how the locals do it? Best one that side of the island is at Lautoka, so you could combine them. They have a craft section as well as the usual produce and fish sections.

The sugar factory there used to do tours - but very hot & smelly..

Education? - usually easy to see a school - especially if you take some school supplies - anything very gratefully received.

Check to see if the train trip is running out to Natadola (little sugar train) - they did stop for a while but might be going again now.

There is a nature park on the Coral Coast - Kula Bird Park - have seen some good reviews of that lately.

While you're at Denarau it would be very easy to take a day trip to one of the closer islands.

Impressive temple at the far end of Nadi town, they do tours.

Photography chances are endless - make sure she has lots of memory for her camera ! Good luck!

- and with luck she will discover "Fiji Time".....

Scandia, Minnesota
Level Contributor
16 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Wife & Her Odd Concept Of A Vacation

You guys are great. Thank you.

BTW: when we were in China for our second adoption, they put us in a Holiday Inn that had a bar where, on Sunday afternoons, the local Kiwi expats (about 300 of them) gathered to watch Rugby. I've never had such a fun time in my life.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Wife & Her Odd Concept Of A Vacation

I forgot - Sigatoka sand dunes (they have an information booth, lots of history there) and the Tongan hill fort out of Sigatoka.

Maybe you could come to NZ for your next trip and see a real Rugby game!

NewZealand
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Wife & Her Odd Concept Of A Vacation

zip lining and jet ski safari's could be another option from pacific harbour and there is also an arts and craft village there.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Wife & Her Odd Concept Of A Vacation

Have a read through these suggestions:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g294336-Activiti…

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g294335-Activiti…

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g294334-Activiti…

We hired a local and his car/van for the day and went to some beautiful places, places we wouldn't of found by ourselves.

Hope she enjoys...

Rene

Maryborough...
Level Contributor
198 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My Wife & Her Odd Concept Of A Vacation

Grow some Knackers mate ( i don't mean that in an offensive way),

tell her there are things you would like to do and do it.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My Wife & Her Odd Concept Of A Vacation

LOL clintlovestravel!!!

Why don't you have a look at Sigatoka River Safari. This is a jet boat up the Sigatoka River to a village where you meet the locals and have lunch.

Check out the website:

http://www.sigatokariver.com/

Oh and you had better tell your wife about 'Fiji Time'. Nothing ever happens fast in Fiji. Everything is very laid back. Most people go to Fiji because of this to relax.

Beerwalk :)