We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your Memorable Meal In Fiji

S.E.QLD
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Your Memorable Meal In Fiji

Ok Folks,

Many a forum post has to do with food. So let's hear your thoughts.

Not a meal you have heard about, but one you ate.

Good, bad or indifferent.

What was it ?

Where did you get it [If you care to divulge].

How much did it cost?

I'll go first. Palusami.

A dish served wrapped in taro leaves and cooked in the lovu [traditionally] with many variations to the filling [Google palusami recipes]

I had this dish as entree on my first visit to Fiji staying at a small motel style resort on the coral coast and keep an eagle eye on the the menu whenever I go back.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
437 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your Memorable Meal In Fiji

Definately the best meal I have eaten was the lovo at the waterfall.

Palusami cooked in Coconut shells, Fern with coconut juice.

Roasted chicken legs and fish plated in seperate coconut palm fronds.

whole mini roasted pumpkin cooked with Taro leaves and coconut juice inside.

roasted cassava, dalo and sweet pototoe...

And then finished off with grated tabioca with coconut, sugar and nutmeg cooked to perfection in banana leaves, and fresh tropical fruit!!!

All in the earth oven,, all roasted to perfection and at the base of the most beautiful waterfall

Ohhh my mouth is watering...

11 weeks till we are back again :-)

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your Memorable Meal In Fiji

Fish (caught 30 minutes before), grilled on an open fire on a beach in the Yasawas, served with lime juice & chilli, accompanied by fresh papaya, coconut and pineapple.

Brisbane Qld
Level Contributor
212 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your Memorable Meal In Fiji

for me it would have to be a lovo on the beach at Danny's Village Homestay

The tastes and smells were sensational.

But I think my senses were enhanced because I was able to take part in the preperation of the lovo from start to finish.

From collecting taro, bananas, mangos and tabioca from the village plantations in the morning, collecting seafood from the water right in front of Danny's, starting the the fire, preparing the food (even wraping the food in banana and coconut leaves) burying the food under the leaves and earth and then coming back to unearth the food about 3 hrs later.

Then the feast with new found friends.

This was a memorable meal that I will never forget.

Australia
Level Contributor
817 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your Memorable Meal In Fiji

We had a wedding feast cooked in the staff village at a resort we stayed in back in 1994. Fresh cooked octopus in coconut milk, palusami(my favourite), chop suey, fresh vegetables,fresh caught fish,The food was divine and we will never forget that meal.

We also had some fresh caught fish cooked on the coals on sunset beach at Mana last August. It was served with a sauce of sea water ,chilli and lemon juice. It was the tastiest fish I have ever eaten and was suprised that you could actually use seawater as a sauce.

Yummy!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
437 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your Memorable Meal In Fiji

I was actually just thinking about the meal I had in January with Fabi and Dangs at the Eco Cafe

They cooked freshly caught fish with cococut juice, garlic, Chilli etc in a piece of green bamboo and just put in the fire.

Quite impressive, delicious and it was served with other traditional food on their deck overlooking the coral coast water at sunset,,,

Really lovely

S.E.QLD
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Your Memorable Meal In Fiji

Stop it! stop it!. I have been told drool is not good for computer keyboards.

Only kidding.

Your writings have my mind wandering back and filled with the pleasure we find in Fiji.

Amongst the memories is a week spent on a small island out from Vuda Point. The lovu night was much anticipated. In a conversation with the Fijian who prepared it , he commented that the majority of the meats were cooked in the restaurant ovens, because "some guests don't like the smokey flavour". I got the impression he was referring to returning guests as this place had a very high % of returnees, and rightly so. It is very nice indeed.

I will not mention the name of this island because things may have changed and one hiccup does not a disaster make!

Though IMHO, a lovu is a lovu, a part of the culture that should be true to life.

Whether you enjoy it is part of the experience.

Soo, Thumbs down to the doctored lovu.

7. Re: Your Memorable Meal In Fiji

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Fiji