We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Korovou to Lautoka

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How to get from Korovou to Lautoka

I need some advise from the experts on traveling via the Kings road in March.

We are participating in a project that will happen in a village about 35 km northwest of Korovou, but we are leaving early to take a Blue Lagoon cruise, so I need to figure out the best way to get my family (4 of us) from Takalana Bay/Korovou to Lautoka. I have seen the schedule for sunbeam. Does anyone know if they run on schedule, and are we crazy to think about taking them over the Kings road in March, or should we just head back down towards Suva, and do the queens road, or fly Suva - Nadi. I would love to see some of the countryside, but we need to be in Lautoka by 1:30 PM.

Any advise would be most appreciated

Mentioned in this post
Blue Lagoon Beach Resort
Blue Lagoon Beach Resort
1,482 Reviews
Nacula Island, Fiji
Lautoka
Lautoka
Viti Levu, Fiji
Suva
Suva
Viti Levu, Fiji
Nadi
Nadi
Viti Levu, Fiji
Tuncurry, Australia
Level Contributor
738 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from Korovou to Lautoka

We are doing a Blue Lagoon cruise in March maybe the same one

The roads on the north of the island haven’t been maintained very well in the last few years so are rough and you may get bogged if it’s been raining I think it’s ok once you get to Rakiraki then it’s about a 2 hour drive to Latoka flying is the most expensive way but the quickest

Dave

Mentioned in this post
Blue Lagoon Beach Resort
Blue Lagoon Beach Resort
1,482 Reviews
Nacula Island, Fiji
Rakiraki
Rakiraki
Viti Levu, Fiji
Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,642 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from Korovou to Lautoka

I would not go over the Kings road to Lautoka from Suva in March. Either get a coach from via Suva, they are pretty reliable or hire a car it is not that expensive and should not take more than 4 hours. It will be a lot cheaper than flying. You could also rent a car for a day and arrange to leave it in Nadi and get a taxi from there to Lautoka.

Mentioned in this post
Lautoka
Lautoka
Viti Levu, Fiji
Suva
Suva
Viti Levu, Fiji
Nadi
Nadi
Viti Levu, Fiji
Brisbane
Level Contributor
437 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from Korovou to Lautoka

I did the Kings road in Jan 10 and the upgrading that is going on is extensive. There is now less than 11 kilometres of gravel road between RakiRaki and Suva and the road that was gravel was in excellent condition and well maintained.

We had rain on the trip to Suva but it didnt pour but the quality of the road would indicate that it wouldnt be greatly affected as it wasnt your standard fijian gravel road.

I was quite impressed by the smooth trip

Mentioned in this post
Rakiraki
Rakiraki
Viti Levu, Fiji
Suva
Suva
Viti Levu, Fiji
Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from Korovou to Lautoka

Thanks so much for your replies

Dave, our BLC is March 15, are you on that one?

Hooked and Birch you two have me in a dilemma.. What to do...

Birch... did you take one of the buses? Was is on time? How long did it actually take.

I guess my main concern is getting to Lautoka on time.

If we go back to Suva I will need a hotel for 1 night. What do you recommend,

if I want to catch the Sunbeam express bus in the early AM.

Mentioned in this post
Lautoka
Lautoka
Viti Levu, Fiji
Suva
Suva
Viti Levu, Fiji
Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,642 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get from Korovou to Lautoka

Do you mean Korovou or Korolevu just along the coral coast from Sigatoka?

If it is Korolevu you are only about 1 -1/2 hrs max from Nadi or 2 hrs max from Lautoka and no point in traveling just as far to go back to Suva. I was assuming you meant Korolevu as the only Korovou I know is in the Yasawa Islands. Is you cruise leaving about lunchtime? If you are really concerned go back the previous day and you can stay at the Waterfront Hotel in Lautoka overnight pretty reasonably only a short taxi ride to the wharf otherwise a private car with driver will cost around F$110 - $120. I would probably go back the day earlier to avoid stressing.

Mentioned in this post
Korolevu
Korolevu
Viti Levu, Fiji
Sigatoka
Sigatoka
Viti Levu, Fiji
Nadi
Nadi
Viti Levu, Fiji
Lautoka
Lautoka
Viti Levu, Fiji
Suva
Suva
Viti Levu, Fiji
Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get from Korovou to Lautoka

No, I mean Korovou, it is located north of Nausori where the Kings road,

and the east coastal road meet. We will actually be near Natalaira Village on the east coast road,somewhere near where you take the ferry to Ovalau.

http://mappery.com/Viti-Levu-Fiji-Tourist-Map

It shows on this map if you enlarge it.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
437 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get from Korovou to Lautoka

One of the things that struck me about the west coast was the transport was super limited. From memory we passed 2 mini vans and 2 bus's in 2 days. Where as the Queens highway along the coral coast is littered with mini vans and bus's all day long.

If you had a hire car you could do the trip via the Kings Road to Lautoka. Its a nice part of Viti to see, not much to do which sounds like its suits you fine.

I wouldnt rely on any bus in Fiji being on time. They try to be but I have found them never to be on time :-) they just seem to come along when they do. And if they get a flat or anything,, you will find yourself waiting till its fixed with not much on offer for alternative transport. - I got a flat on the kings road and we had to hitch back to Raki Raki with the tyre in toe to get it fixed...grrrrrrrrrrr

My advice is

Hire Car - Kings Road

Wanting to do it cheap via bus - Queens road

Mentioned in this post
Lautoka
Lautoka
Viti Levu, Fiji
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Brisbane
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get from Korovou to Lautoka

We are going back to Fiji mid March and will stay as we did last year at Don's House on the Coral Coast for one week. We were thinking of hiring a car and continuing around the island to Pacific Harbour staying at Rakiraki or somewhere and then hopping off to an island for a couple of days. Do you think this is safe and where/ what would you recommend staying and seeing as we travel around. How long would it take? we estimated 2 days are we way off? Last year we stayed at Don's House (near The Hideaway) for 2 weeks and did the Cave tour , waterfalls, Singatoka, Natadola etc and thought we'd get more adventurous this time. I am trvelling with my husband and son's aged 20 and 17. We would appreciate your opinion

TS

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Coral Coast
Coral Coast
Viti Levu, Fiji
Pacific Harbour
Pacific Harbour
Viti Levu, Fiji
Rakiraki
Rakiraki
Viti Levu, Fiji
Natadola Beach
Natadola Beach
637 Reviews
Viti Levu, Fiji
Brisbane
Level Contributor
437 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get from Korovou to Lautoka

Hello

Yes we did that trip in Jan 2010 and it was definately worth it.

We had a corolla and it did fine for the trip,, except for the flat tyre,,,!!!

We went via Nadi around the island. We stayed at Wananavu Resort on the West Coast at Raki Raki,, the only two accomodation options there was that resort and the Raki Raki hotel which is more your backpacker standard.

Then we went across to Nanaru Island which is directly opposite Wananavu Resort. There isnt any resorts over there, more your self catering and backpacker standard. Your boys would love Safari Lodge where we stayed. Run by a aussie guy and his partner who have lived there for 20 years or so. They are on the windy side of the island and have all the wind water activities you could every ask for. But the bonus of that island is you can walk over the hill - literally a 2 min walk and be on the other side of the island to get the no wind side with the quiet bays, perfect for sun and swiming.

There is a few self catering places that were full of families with little children. Safari lodge is a nice backpackers with hot water and good home cooked meals. Macdonalds on the other side had a mini restaurant which was nice as well.

The road and trip is definately safe and you can easily do it in 2 days if you avoid the island visit. No need to rush though,, its really beautiful and you can take as long as you like but there isnt much to do at all,,, its not like the coral coast.

If you have been to the coral coast before,, I suggest you try other things like the hot springs (see my previous posts) and do the waterfall tour again but this time with the land owner and on horse,, he can also cook you all a lovo at the waterfall. You can that experience through the tours, they do BBQ's

Also take the boys snorkeling on the MPA thats not far from Dons house,,, see my previous posts to get details etc and phone numbers of those you need to organise through

Mentioned in this post
Nadi
Nadi
Viti Levu, Fiji
Wananavu Beach Resort
Wananavu Beach Resort
640 Reviews
Viti Levu, Fiji
Brisbane
Level Contributor
437 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get from Korovou to Lautoka

Sorry look4sun

Only just saw your question.

I hired a car.. I would definately not rely on public transport of the west side of the island...... its super hot over there and no bus stops and hardly any bus's that we saw in 3 days. There is not many tourists on that side