We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First TIme to Fiji

Near Toronto
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
First TIme to Fiji

My wife and I will shortly be stopping in Fiji for a couple of days on our way to Australia and will be staying at the Novotel in Nadi. Is there anything that is a Must to see or do around Nadi? Or maybe some things NOT to do? We might not get back this way again or at least not for quite a long time. Having read other posts, I think that a visit to the temple and the market are on the To Do list.

The main reason for the trip is to visit Cairns (with a couple of days each in Sydney and Brisbane on the way), but we wanted to see Fiji since we were going that way.

Also, is it better to bring local curency, USD or AUD for Fiji?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First TIme to Fiji

You will need Fiji Dollars to use in Fiji.

As for thing to do and see around Nadi:

Garden of the Sleeping Giant: Located about half and hour from Nadi, The Garden of Sleeping Giant was started in 1977 by the late Raymond Burr, star of Perry Mason and Ironside. It was originally started to house his orchid collection and now has the largest collection in Fiji.

Hot Mud Pools: The hot mud pools are located a few hundred meters from the Garden of the Sleeping Giant. This is a bit of an adventure as these pools are dug right into the ground. It's totally natural, there are no restaurants, no concrete pathway, no infrastructures except for a shower/toilet.

Sri Siva Subramaniya Swami Temple: The Sri Siva Subramaniya temple is a Hindu temple in Nadi. It is at the southern end of the main road through Nadi. It is the largest Hindu temple in the Southern hemisphere.

Nadi Markets: Located one block south of Nadi Main Street, the Nadi Market offers a wide variety of fruit, vegetables and other produce. One whole section of the market, about thirty stalls, is devoted to just one product: kava

Jet Boat Ride: Jet Fiji offers exciting 30 minute jet boat rides on the Nadi River and through mangrove swamps. The rides begin in Port Denarau.

Natadola Beach: Fiji’s most beautiful beach, Natadola, is located 36 km south of Nadi.

Island Visit: This is a must. Best snorkelling is found in the islands. South Sea Cruises runs heaps of day trips. Check out there website: http://www.ssc.com.fj/

Beerwalk :)

(16 days to go!!)

Brisbane
Level Contributor
437 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First TIme to Fiji

Hello :-)

It really is going to depend on what experience you want to come away with so I gues I have to ask, what sort of travellers are you?

If you want to see the post card picture beach's and water then you will be disappointed with Denarau Island and will need to head on a day trip to one of the islands. Your resort travel desk will help you with that and being at Denarau you will be nice and close to the marina where the trips depart.

Maybe you are wanting to experience apart of nature and see a waterfall or rainforest.?

You can hire a car and head to the coral coast (1.5 hour drive, easy to find) and take a trip up to a waterfall on horseback and journey through a rainforest and discover hidden secluded rock pools. On your way back you can ask the land owner to take you on a village tour, meet some of the locals and sit and drink kava (tradtional drink) giving you a experience of the "Real Fiji"

(see my previous posts for directions)

Phone the land owner Boro on +679 8344164

Maybe you want to wander through a local market and learn about their local produce. Even check out some local handi crafts. You can do this in Nadi or in Sigatoka on the Coral Coast.

There are lots of things to do and see but because your time is limited its important to find out what it is that you really want to do or experience and then find away to do it.

We are all happy to help on Trip Advisor :-)

Maybe you want to

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
347 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First TIme to Fiji

My family and I stopped in Fiji on our way to and from the USA in Seotmeber 2009.

When we were on our return journey we found the USD has a better exchange to FJD.

Enjoy your stay in Aus, I hope the weather fines up for you :)

4. Re: First TIme to Fiji

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2010, 05:18