We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what happens in an emergency?

NewZealand
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
what happens in an emergency?

Hi, we have travelled to Fiji many times but, last year our 4 year old started to have the odd asthma attack (mild-average). We do have all the medication etc but, due to this I would like to hear from anyone who has had to get emergency assistance while on holiday. We stay on Musket Cove. My question is, if we did need to get of the island fast , what happens?. I doubt we will have any trouble but, I just want to reassure myself. Many thanks

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: what happens in an emergency?

As long as you have travel insurance and it covers your child's asthma then you should not have a problem. Usually a doctor on the island would be called to your hotel to treat your son. If he felt it necessary you would be evacuated to a suitable hospital facility, which may involve the hiring of an air transport vehicle to take you to the nearest hospital. However, I don't think it will be a problem with asthma, particularly if his attacks are mild and you have the needed medication.

NewZealand
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what happens in an emergency?

Thanks for that. We just had a sad case here in NZ where a small boy with mild to average asthma passed away after a acute attack and it has but the wind up me about travelling and not knowing how to get help fast. I think it just pays to have a plan when travelling with kids. Cheers

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what happens in an emergency?

Fijitime - you are absolutely right. If I were in your shoes, I would email the resort and ask them what their plan of action specifically is. It might get them thinking if they do not have one in place. However with the large number of divers in Fiji I would think the resorts have emergency plans.

Way to be a proactive parent!

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what happens in an emergency?

Yes contact the resort and ask. Better to be safe than sorry especially when it comes to your child.

Good luck, Rene

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,790 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what happens in an emergency?

Hi fijitime

You're quite right to be asking all these questions.

Firstly, of course, check that your insurance policy covers 'existing conditions'. Most don't, but with some you can get cover for certain things by paying extra. But I'm sure you know all that.

Be very sure what you are told by Musket Cove. Aircraft don't fly in there after dark as far as I know, so how would emergency vehicles get on? I would be surprised if Musket/Plantation had a doctor on site, but I could be quite wrong.

Very important for you to be very sure. Beautiful country it is, but nevertheless it is a third world country. A very good friend of ours, who lived in Fiji for many years, always says she would do anything to avoid having to go to a hospital in Fiji. I have to say I'd feel the same way.

Edited: 09 March 2010, 22:48
6. Re: what happens in an emergency?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2010, 06:17