We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denarau or Islands or both

Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Denarau or Islands or both

I need some help in deciding where to go. I have a week in Fiji in April, where should I stay?

We are a family of three. At first, I thought the islands were the place to go but talking to travel agents, they have made me start to think we should stay at Denarau.

I'm worried I might get bored on an island for 7 days.

Should we stay in Denarau and do some trips to the islands, or should we stay on an island or should we do both.....

We like beaches and snorkelling and fishing bu we also like to get into the culture and explore.

Help!

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Denarau Beach
Denarau Beach
299 Reviews
Viti Levu, Fiji
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
427 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denarau or Islands or both

My suggestion would be go to the islands as the beaches and snorkelling are much better. 7 days goes fast when you are on holiday and I don't think you would be bored in that time. Yes the mainland has other things to see and do but with only 7 days go to an island, enjoy the Fiji relaxed way of living and come home refreshed after a relaxing holiday. Jacqui

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denarau or Islands or both

You will probably find that you have to spend your first and last night in Nadi because of flight times. If you were to choose the Yasawas, the Yasawa Flyer goes from Denarau Marina (Nadi) at 8.30am, and does a round trip which gets back to Denarau around 6pm. That would probably leave you with only 5 nights on an island.

Beaches, snorkelling, fishing - not at Denarau. For that you will need to be at an island resort. Most of those will have trips to visit local villages also. Staff usually live nearby and you will have more contact with local people.

Agents always seem to push the big mainland hotels - might be something to do with the commission they receive? - while smaller places on islands will do their own bookings, not through agents. There are any number of people who post here who can offer suggestions - my own personal favourites are Octopus and Blue Lagoon in the Yasawas. You cannot get bored!

So - ask your agent if they have actually been to Fiji? And decide whether you want the "big hotel, could be anywhere" sort of experience, or a glimpse of "real Fiji".

Mentioned in this post
Nadi
Nadi
Viti Levu, Fiji
Denarau Beach
Denarau Beach
299 Reviews
Viti Levu, Fiji
Blue Lagoon Beach Resort
Blue Lagoon Beach Resort
1,481 Reviews
Nacula Island, Fiji
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
3. Re: Denarau or Islands or both

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2010, 04:18