We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

30+yo solo female - where to stay?

Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
30+yo solo female - where to stay?

Hi all! I am in my early 30's looking at spending approx 5 nights in Fiji in Jul or Aug this year and will be travelling on my own. I am looking for a relaxing week, lying on the beach, catching up on reading, swimming, the odd spa treatment. I would prefer something quiet, not a party resort although I wouldn't mind somewhere with a nice vibe where I could enjoy a drink in the evening. Somewhere with an all-inclusive option would be ideal as I don't intend to stray too far from the resort, but would appreciate the option of a day or half-day trip if I get bored. Finally, if I had to choose, I would prefer to be surrounded by loved up couples than kids. Money is not a huge concern although I don't want to spend so much that I wonder why I don't just head to Tahiti or Hawaii...

Is there anywhere that might suit or am I being too picky? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 30+yo solo female - where to stay?

Hi Guardami,

I was going to be a solo traveller to Fiji this trip (but my partner is now coming) -- I was, and still am, going to Nanuya Island Resort and also Botaira up in the Yasawas and I felt quite happy that I would be comfortable there on my own. Both are small resorts with good food and great snorkelling. Have a look at reviews here on TA and their websites.

Another island I would happily travel to on my own is Navini Resort in the Mamanuca Islands - easy to transfer from the mainland - they have a special on at the moment for free transfers if you stay a min number of nights.

Others, more experienced than me, will come in and offer you some other suggestions - wherever you choose, I'm sure you will love Fiji.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 30+yo solo female - where to stay?

Bula Bula,

As a single woman there would not be any resort that wouldnt be fine for you. Most resorts in Fiji have meal plans these days as well. The main thing would be the "kid" part. Most of the resorts on the mainland cater for kids, you need to go out to the islands more to experience the "adult " only choices. One of the islands that is for adults only is Tokoriki, which is lovely. On the mainland I would highly recommend Hideaway resort. Although there will be families at this resort, it has the small, friendly feel, and you would be completely comfortable there on your own. Although I could be a bit biased as my partner works there!! PLease feel free to ask any more questions. Oh the new Intercontinental could be a good choice. It is on a beautiful beach...

sydney
Level Contributor
148 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 30+yo solo female - where to stay?

Iv Just come back from 5 nights at Mango Bay Resort, it was fantastic there was a good range of ages there and lots of beach and relaxation, no need to fight for a chair either! its super easy to get to by bus, or they will organise a private car for $135fjd bus is about $9.60fj

lots to do and see and the doorms are cheep a bure can be found cheep on zuji atm but will still cost about $80aud a night have a look at the reviews and if you get board one day its not going to be a hassle to get to shops like if you were on an island... have a great trip!

Bathurst, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Viti Levu, Treasure Island, Sonaisali Island, Nadi
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 30+yo solo female - where to stay?

I fit your age bracket and have been going by myself when no one else can come for years now. I find that I love Sonaisali Island Resort the best! On the mainalnd allowing you to go for island day trips and also see things on the mainland as well and go shopping! They have a Zero Bar which is open Fridays and Saturdays its awesome you may like that. The island is very large so plenty of places to lie back read a book and not be disturbed. They also have an awesome indoor/outdoor spa Frangipani! I love it have had so many things done over they years. If you would like more info just reply to this and im more than happy to help!

Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 30+yo solo female - where to stay?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Bluestreek, I noticed you are also a destination expert for Treasure Island, what are your thoughts on it compared to Sonaisali? At the moment I'm contemplating a few nights on Treasure Island with a night or two at either end in Nadi at the Mercure or the Novotel. Either that or 5 nights at either the Sonaisali or the Hideaway. Any comments/suggestions?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
437 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 30+yo solo female - where to stay?

Guardami

Avoid Nadi at all costs, you will be disappointed and if you have to spend one night due to flights etc then base yourself on Denarau Island (drive onto Island and only 15 mins from airport) if money is not an issue.

Mango Bay resort is nice and Hideaway is also nice as stated above. You mention that you would be interested in a day trip or half day trip if bored.

On the islands you will be very limited for day trip options but the beaches there are fabulous but they are also very focused on families etc...If you do choose to go to any of the resorts on the Coral Coast then here are some day trip ideas to experience the real fiji.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294331-i883-k3378…

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 30+yo solo female - where to stay?

When staying in Nadi, I have always stayed at the Novote. Which used to be called the Macambo. If it is just for an overnight stay there is nothing wrong with these resorts. Yes the resorts on Denerau are nice, but big if just sleeping. I have also used the Novotel on many occasions just for a day stay. If you come in from an island on the first ferry of the day, you can hang out at the resort and have a room to relax, change and shower in before heading over to the airport. I have just looked at staying on Treasure island and found it very expensive for what I was getting. It cost more for 4 nights there than 10 night all inclusive at naviti. Yes i do realise there is a difference in resorts, but when staying for a long time....... Again I would not hesitate in staying at the Novotel.

8. Re: 30+yo solo female - where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2010, 05:17