We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comparison - Vomo, Jean Michel Cousteau and Denarau

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Comparison - Vomo, Jean Michel Cousteau and Denarau

Hi there - we are a family of 4 (two adults, a 6 year old and a 3 year old) intending to travel to Fiji mid-year. We have been to Toberua and Castaway on previous visits. This time we'd like to stay in Denarau for a few days (just to get a feel of a big resort type place - we are thinking the Sheraton Denarau Villas at this stage) and then about a week at a smaller resort. We need something that is entertaining for the kids e.g. a kids club or nannies yet relaxing for us too. We have narrowed the search down to Jean Michel Cousteau and Vomo. Reviews on Tripadvisor suggest that both are excellent, with a few negative reviews each. Has anyone actually been to both of these resorts and if so how would you compare them? As a guide, our kids would probably like to spend a fair bit of time with us (and us with them!) but if they are allowed to stay together they would probably be happy to go off with other kids to the kids' club for a few hours. It would be good to have a kid-friendly beach.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Asia Pacific
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comparison - Vomo, Jean Michel Cousteau and Denarau

Hi

First a disclosure. Im one of the shareholders in Vomo Island.

Vomo is the closest 5 star resort to Nadi International. You can take the helicopter right from Denarau to Vomo. Its about a 15 minute flight. Its very convenient and an easy transfer. You wont lose any days getting to/from Vomo.

Vomo is the only 5 star offshore resort that caters for kids all year round. The resort is set on a 225 acre island. there's plenty of space for everyone.

Vomo's beach is kid friendly and swimmable at all tides. there is coral to snorkel from the beach and daily organised group snorkeling.

In peak season we run an organised kids club. When there are fewer kids on the island we can arrange for the kids to be looked after, exploring the island learning about flora and fauna, or helping out at the turtle santuary. No dark rooms and kids locked in watching videos.

At night you can have a babysitter to look after the kids allowing you to enjoy the evening dining/bar. If you want to dine as a family thats fine too.

At Vomo we cater to our guests needs.

Please feel free to contact the GM Wayne Milgate for further assistance in answering any questions you might have. wayne [at] vomofiji.com.fj

Cousteau is a great resort and you would enjoy it Im sure. Vomo is closer and has more to offer, in my biased opinion...:-)

best wishes for your vacation

Andrew B.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comparison - Vomo, Jean Michel Cousteau and Denarau

Hi Batch, my niece is currently at Vomo with her two young children. She rung me yesterday to say that while she thought vomo would be nice it has totally blown her away. Everything is perfect, from the accommodation, beach, kids club, food, staff.

They took the helicopter out and will come back by boat, she loved the helicopter ride, beautiful scenery on the way.

I'm sure when she gets back she can let you know more if you like.

Rene

Asia Pacific
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comparison - Vomo, Jean Michel Cousteau and Denarau

Hi Rene

I'm so glad for your niece and family and would love to hear more about their experience. There is definately something magical about Vomo that you cant distil onto a website or into a brochure. Your niece being 'blown away' by Vomo is what happens to the majority of our guests. Even seasoned travellers who have visited beautiful resorts across the world tell us that there is something very very special about Vomo.

Sadly many resorts use stock image Fiji photo's not even shot at their beaches etc which makes it hard for prospective guests to figure out where to try.

We rely a great deal on word of mouth marketing and repeat visitors. Many guests come back year after year.

Thanks for taking the time to comment on Vomo.

with best regards

Andrew B. (Batch8888)

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comparison - Vomo, Jean Michel Cousteau and Denarau

Um, she did text that she will come home fat as she had the most amazing three course dinner last night.......but really she can't say enough good things about Vomo, she said to tell you BC001 " its like you died and gone to heaven".

BC001, she said she's only too happy to answer any questions and let you know more when she gets home.

Rene

Maroochydore...
Level Contributor
117 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Comparison - Vomo, Jean Michel Cousteau and Denarau

I haven't been to Vomo or Jean Michel Cousteau but looked into them as well for our first trip last year. I didn't go with JMC, because of the extra flight to Savu savu to get there. It appeared to me that Vomo had a great deal to offer without the extra flight. I think with a 3 year old closer might be easier?

Sheraton Denarau is fantastic BTW - great choice.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Comparison - Vomo, Jean Michel Cousteau and Denarau

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies. We are very close to making a decision...hopefully soon!

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Comparison - Vomo, Jean Michel Cousteau and Denarau

My choice would be Vomo then JMC am not a fan of the hotel scene at all

a hotel room is a hotel room anywhere in the world. The islands really are the best.

8. Re: Comparison - Vomo, Jean Michel Cousteau and Denarau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2010, 05:18