We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fiji backpacking 21 days

Turlbean
2 posts
Save Topic
Fiji backpacking 21 days

Hey,

Me and a mate are going to Fiji this June for three weeks.

I was wondering if anyone could provide us with any travel advice and tips please...?

We've been told that it would be a good idea to spend a week and a half on the main island and then go island hopping for another week and a half. Does this sound about right?

We were hoping to do some surfing, fishing, golfing and scuba diving so any advice on these activites would be appreciated. If you know of other decent things to do please let me know also.

Thanks,

Fiji Surf School
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Subsurface Fiji
Endless Summer Surf Academy
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Fishing Charters & Tours
Brothers Surf Tours
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fiji backpacking 21 days

If you are interested in Backpackers, check out the following website:

fijibackpackerconnections.com/new/…1

Lists all of the backpackers in Fiji.

Or have a look at Awsome Adventures that have packages for backpackers to different locations:

http://www.awesomefiji.com/

Would also suggest that you book before you go.

Beerwalk )

Edited: 07 April 2010, 00:36
Melbourne
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fiji backpacking 21 days

Hi Turlbean, would suggest Mango Bay on the mainland, they have fishing, surfing and diving available at upmarket backpackers with no kids. I have not stayed there as kids are too young but have done fishing trips from there and it looks good for a younger crowd. Danny the owner is good and although the road in is a bit basic it is a lovely spot when you arrive. Also some great day trips in this area such as waterfalls, zip lining, village and school visits and caves.

Have a great trip

Regards

NB

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fiji backpacking 21 days

I would definately have a look at Awesome Adventures through the link provided above. They have different itineraries and packages and I'm sure you could find something that suits you. They also have packages where you pay a bit more but get extra inclusions like a day sailing adventure and a underwater cave experience. Even if you don't get this extra package (called the 'Full Monty') you still get great inclusions, sometimes including scuba and snorkelling. In my itinerary, we had one night onboard the Wanna Taki, but I can't find anywhere on the AA website that says it's still operating! I hope it is, because it was soo much fun, party boat!

If you don't want to stick to their itineraries, they also have island hopping passes as well.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
437 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fiji backpacking 21 days

Hello

I second the suggestion above for Mango Bay. There is also The Beachouse closer to Sigatoka and not so isolated as such. Both are fun for back packers.

Thought I would add the link of some things to see and do on the Coral Coast

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294331-i883-k3378…

Turlbean
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fiji backpacking 21 days

Thanks for the response everyone!

Ive had someone tell me that it would me much cheaper to just duplicate what the tours do from the travel agents but do it by yourself (ie: public transport and booking everything whilst your out there).

Would you say this is a bad idea?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fiji backpacking 21 days

Just a hint, if you end up staying at Mango bay for a bit of the time, dont rely on public transport to get you there, organise transfers or a taxi as it is a long way off the main road where the bus passes. Once you decide where you are staying get all the tour brouchers you want to do and see if you can get a local driver or someone in the village to take you rather than going on a tour. You will find some great contact info of locals in Fiji if you look through these forums.

Have a great time.

NB

Brisbane
Level Contributor
437 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fiji backpacking 21 days

I am that sort of traveller. I find out what is on offer then find a way to do it myself.

You have to make sure you choose a location that wont make you reliant on taxis.

The beachouse is on the main highway but secluded so I suggest you consider that place as you can get on and off bus's and go places but if you look at the things I have suggested they are the budget options of what to do on the Coral Coast.

I recommend you hire a taxi and driver for the day with friends and split costs if you want to see out of the way things.

Getting everywhere on a bus is not always possible in Fiji, especially if you head inland.

As far as the islands go I am not sure you will be able to duplicate tours yourself as they usually provide the transport but someone with better island knowledge may be able to assist you better than I.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,684 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Fiji backpacking 21 days

<<Ive had someone tell me that it would me much cheaper to just duplicate what the tours do from the travel agents but do it by yourself (ie: public transport and booking everything whilst your out there).>>

Yes that Definitely the way to go-no need to be managed from breakfast to bedtime by some overpriced tour group.

Instead of so much time on Viti Levu think of heading East off the tourist track to Levuka

http://www.levukafiji.com/

9. Re: Fiji backpacking 21 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2010, 05:17