We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Island to stay at? They all sound great!

sydney
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Which Island to stay at? They all sound great!

Hi,

My partner & I, who are in our forties, we have decided to take a holiday to Fiji in early August.

This will be our first time in Fiji.

We were advised & have decided to stay at the Warwick for 6 or 7 nights, then as a contrast to stay 3 or 4 nights on an Island.

I am hoping someone out there with some knowledge of Fiji can help me, if I advise on the sort of accommodation we are looking for.

- An ocean view bure

- Good snorkelling

- Outdoor spa

- Mid range in pricing, say 4 star

- Do not mind children but would prefer if the island catered more fore adults

- Choice of restaurants, that are not overpriced – may have other resorts on the island with restaurants

- Some form of light entertainment in evening if wanted but not a raging disco every night

- Walking tracks

Its ok if we cannot have all of the above, just thought if I advise on what we are looking for someone might be able to help us narrow the field. Thanking you in advance for any ideas you have.

Chicago
Level Contributor
274 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Island to stay at? They all sound great!

Check out Matangi, Qamea or Tokoriki. The only thing they won't offer are multiple restaurants on the property if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure others will chime in with more advice!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Island to stay at? They all sound great!

Sounds like you are looking for a bigger property - but for beachfront bure, good snorkelling, walking, medium pricing, local-style entertainment, village visits - and an absolute contrast to the Warwick - look at Octopus or Blue Lagoon Beach Resort in the Yasawas. No choice of restaurants, but good food.

sydney
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Island to stay at? They all sound great!

Thank you both for your advice, there is so many to choose from. I will look into all the Islands that you advise.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,426 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Island to stay at? They all sound great!

Here is the website for Matangi http://www.matangiisland.com/ The resort caters to couples. The 14 bures offer a choice of tree house, beachfront, and ocean view and are separated by lovely gardens, trees, and lush vegetation for privacy.

Matangi is pricey. That said all meals are included in the price as is daily laundry service. You clothes are picked up in the morning and delivered to your bure that night while you are at dinner. There are no other resorts or restaurants on the island.

The snorkeling is literally steps from your bure and is breathtaking. Lots of fish, giant clams, blue starfish, and soft hard and plate coral to see. Complimentary snorkeling tours are also offered to various sites around the island. The village/school tour is a must do and also complimentary. You can also hike Beverly Hill around Matangi, which overlooks Horseshoe Bay.

Nightlife consists of the band boys playing music, singing, and kava.

If you would like to see pictures of our vacations to Matangi, send me your e-mail address in a private message. I will send you an invitation to view the pictures we posted on Picasa.

Edited: 23 April 2010, 00:52
sydney
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Island to stay at? They all sound great!

Looks beautiful but a bit out of budget also cost of extra flight from Nadi.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,426 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Island to stay at? They all sound great!

Take a look at the website for Viwa. Prices are in Fijian Dollars, so more affordable. http://www.viwaislandresort.com/ Also a small resort which caters to couples. Meals are extra. Beautiful beach with complimentary activities.

We arrived Viwa the day after Christmas 2008 and stayed to bring in the New Year. It was without a doubt the best New Years ever. Send me you e-mail address, if you would like to see pictures.

Edited: 23 April 2010, 02:17
7. Re: Which Island to stay at? They all sound great!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 April 2010, 03:40
Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,426 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Island to stay at? They all sound great!

Just sent you the invitation to view our pictures of Viwa on Picasa. Am sending you a private message.

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
132 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Island to stay at? They all sound great!

Hi,

My husband and I stayed 5 nights at Musket Cove Resort in August 2009 (sorry haven't done a review yet!) I would definately say that Musket ticks all your boxes. We stayed in a Beachfront Bure which was metres from the beach and very nice. There are 2 free snorkelling trips per day. Being on the same island as Plantation resort and Lomani (?) there are lots of choices for eating out and additional entertainment. We really enjoyed the walks we took up over the other side of the island, and around to the other resorts. Musket Cove is the best IMHO, and there were very few children while we were there. We loved it, very laid back and not as expensive as some other resorts recommended to you. Feel free to ask if you have any further questions about Musket Cove.

Ann

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
548 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Island to stay at? They all sound great!

Yes, I would second Musket Cove Resort as a good option for you. You will have a choice of restaurants if you venture to Plantation & Lomani as well as MCR, they don't have a kids club so there are not so many children, great walks around the island with great views, good snorkling on the offered trips, has a great spa, so pretty much would fit your needs. The beach bures have recently been refurbished but also check out their Armstrong Villas.