We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report ... Just returned home.

Sydney Aust.
Level Contributor
405 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report ... Just returned home.

Just returned home after 7 nights at the Shangri la ( will post review on hotel site soon ) and just wanted to let you all know we had a great time and ended up going on the Sigatoka River Safari after all as all of our friends were keen to go. I am so glad we went as we all had a great day. We went to Vuna Rewa Village and the community there were very warm and welcoming. I am not really the adventurous type but had so much fun on the jet boat especially on the way home when Capt. Hi Jack ( ha ha ) did 360 turns and soaked all on board, a welcome relief as the day was really really humid.

We also made it to Natadola beach for a swim and a look at the new Intercontinental .

The weather was very hot and humid which I wasn't expecting for April and we had a tropical storm one night that lasted all night with the rain coming in sideways, we awoke the next morning to a beautiful clear day.

We found the Fijians we met to be warm and friendly just as we did on our first visit 12 years ago, good to see that this has not changed over the years. You would expect that the staff at the hotels are told to be warm and welcoming but when we went into Sigatoka people on the street were saying Bula to us and a woman came up and asked us if we needed any help when we were looking a little lost.

Overall a great time was had by all, 2 of our group are still there staying the last few days at Deneru so cannot wait to hear how they liked it there.

Vinaka from LadyofHaig

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report ... Just returned home.

Wow I can't believe you have gone and come back already. So glad to hear you had a great time. Looking forward to reading your review.

Welcome home!!

Beerwalk :)

Australia
Level Contributor
817 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report ... Just returned home.

Welcome Home!

great to hear you had a great time in Fiji. How quickly the time went,probably even more so for you!

Looking forward to reading your review on Shangri La.

Regards Tracy

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
347 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report ... Just returned home.

So glad to hear that you had a great time :)

Can't wit to read your review of the Shangri-La - we're headed there is in September!

Welcome back <3

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report ... Just returned home.

Your holiday sounds great LadyofHaig -- thanks for letting us know, I love hearing how everyone's holiday went. Will look forward to your review.

I'll be over there this time next week - getting a bit excited now :-)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report ... Just returned home.

Just read your review on the Shangri La, LadyofHaig, well written. So the little secret is out about the Ocean View rooms being quieter. Wondered how long it would take. Must say that there was a few families staying in them when we are there, wish we did!!

And for all of you who are visiting paradise in the next few weeks or months, I am very jealous :)

Beerwalk :)

Edited: 30 April 2010, 01:08
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
347 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report ... Just returned home.

Great reveiw :)

We have to get an Ocean VIew Room as we have 3 children so are not able to stay in a Lagoon room - kinda glad about that though :D :D

Your holiday sounds amazing, and your photos are fabulous!!! Thankyou for sharing <3

Kel <3

Sydney Aust.
Level Contributor
405 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report ... Just returned home.

Thank you all for your wonderful replies, it has been a little tough returning home to chaotic Sydney and being thrust back into the day to day.

I promised myself to be more calm and relaxed about life but it is harder than I thought.

I am just a little envious of the Fijian Villagers, they seem to have very little in the way of possessions, like we crave but seem to be far happier, such lovely lovely people.

At the Vuna Rewa Village one of the women we had been dancing with and talking to gave me a big bear hug just before we left which made me feel that they were actually happy to have us there. I have promised to send them photos of our visit through the River Safari people. The children were just divine.

Sydney Aust.
Level Contributor
405 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report ... Just returned home.

Hi BaySydney3, I am now the envious one as my much awaited holiday is over, have a wonderful time, watch out for the sun, we still managed to get sunburnt on our first day even though we thought we were being careful.

Kelsu77, We also have three children, grown up now, so the reason for us choosing the Ocean View rooms as well. There is plenty of room and they open out to the lawn and the coral pool is great for children as well as it is not too deep.

Hope you both have a wonderful time.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report ... Just returned home.

Hi LadyofHaig -- I know,,,,,coming home is so hard and a bit of a shock to the system isn't it !!??!! I always promise myself I will stay "In Fiji Mode", but reality seems to creep back and life becomes busy again. That's the time to start planning the next Fiji holiday!!!

Thanks for your reminder about the sun -- as soon as I step off that plane and the heat hits me...... aaahhh can hardly wait...

Five sleeps to go :-)

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report ... Just returned home.

Know exactly what you mean. The only bad thing about going to Fiji is returning home. I always say, I am not going to let the stress of work and life get to me after returning home. When it starts to get to me, I put on the cd we made of the band boys singing. Brings back fond memories and mellows me out. The only thing is, i start to cry every time I hear Isa Lei!!

Edited: 01 May 2010, 01:49