We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nananu-I-ra: Bulavou Beach Bungalows

Zurich
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Nananu-I-ra: Bulavou Beach Bungalows

I spent two weeks on Fiji, travelling to Nananu-i-ra, Navala village and the Yasavas. Although I had a great time at all three places, the away-from-the-crowds Bulavou Beach Bungalows were definitely my favourite:

The apartments are modern, clean and nicely designed at 3-4 star level; they serve very good Fijan food, or your own catch-of-the-day and, most important, the owner Godfrey and his team really care about the well-being of their guests. The only disadvantage is that the resort did not get any more sun from 4pm onwards, but on the other hand, you can change to the sunny side within 10 minutes walking time and have beautiful sunrises alternatively.

Although chosen as "best pick" by Lonely Planet, I was positively surprised that the tourist crowds from the southern islands did not make it up here and you can "share" a 500m beach with just 3 people. For 150F$ per apartment (incl. snorkling and sea kayaks, excl. meal plan), there are cheaper ones around, but hardly any better for comfort and value-for-money. Hopefully, I can make it back again here one day.

P.S.: And for real Fiji village experience: Also go to Navala in the mountains... it's like a travel in time.

Go Dirty Tours Fiji
Equipment Hire, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Discover Fiji Tours
Sightseeing Tours, River Rafting & Tubing, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Pacific Island Air
Helicopter Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Air Tours
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nananu-I-ra: Bulavou Beach Bungalows

Sounds like you had a wonderful time, 2010Globetrotter.

Thanks for sharing with us!

Nola :)

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
549 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nananu-I-ra: Bulavou Beach Bungalows

Yes I agree Nananu-I-ra is wonderful and a shame more people don't get to enjoy it.

Would love to hear more about your stay at Navala village.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nananu-I-ra: Bulavou Beach Bungalows

I had a look through this place when visiting Nananu-i-ra a couple of years ago and was very impressed. Can I ask - when were you there? - and was the wind a problem/ - it certainly was when we were there (September). I thought the accommodation was superb & am tempted to go back there.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
437 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nananu-I-ra: Bulavou Beach Bungalows

We stayed at Safari Lodge on the same island and we were impressed with the place.

I would prefer Mcdonalds next time only because I would like the non windy side to chill out and relax.

But the windy side gave us the much needed relief we required in Jan and also was perfect for the wind / surf activities available there.

We also went to Navala village enroute from our solo inland trip from Ba to Sigatoka straight through the middle

Had a awesome time at both places and would highly recommend also.

Zurich
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nananu-I-ra: Bulavou Beach Bungalows

Hi Marilyn

I was at Nananu just two weeks ago. Speaking about the wind, there wasn't too much of it - a pity for me, because I went there for windsurfing in first place, which did not work out. But snorkling and kayaking were good alternatives, too. Otherwise, I was told that it should normally be windy... and it was definitely less hot than the South-Western islands.

Concerning Safari Lodge - the resort looked good too and the volunteer surf instructors were friendly. Just from my windsurfing correspondences with the owner, let me share my experience: If I had paid upfront, the fee would have been around twice as high as it is advertised once you are on the island. I don't know how this is with the appartments, but it may be a good idea not to pay all fees upfront as requested to avoid disappointment.

Many greetings from Japan and great Fiji holidays to come

Edited: 10 May 2010, 12:42
Suva Fiji
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Nananu-I-ra: Bulavou Beach Bungalows

Bulavou is nice place to stay. Rooms are clean and tidy.

But everything else is so expensive. Windsurfing Cost $50 a day. They don't offer free snorkeling gear or anything like that.

And the meal plans are immensely expensive. They advertise for Continental breakfast as part of the meal plan but charge you extra to have eggs. The meal plans are $70 a day. $40 for dinner with one piece of fish and two pieces of tapioca. They want to charge Sheraton price but the food is outright lousy. Also the accommodation is the most expensive on Nananu I Ra, Safari charges $100 a night, Mcdonalds $120 a night and the facilities are comparable to Bulavou charging $150 a night.

Friends of mine stayed there for 2 nights, three couple with kids and was charged $3000. Even staying at the Sheraton Fiji will not incur such outrageously high charges.

They go to rip customers off and you never see the same customers back.

For kids there is no facilities provided nor do they have cooking facilities this would inadvertently force guest to eat at their lousy restaurant and pay an arm and a leg for food.

Also, honest should be on the management there to tell you what is charge and what's not.

Be careful because they will charge you for everything. It has left a sour taste with my friends.

I would not encourage anyone to consider Bulavou Nananu I Ra, better stay at Safari Lodge because the snorkeling is free plus they offer a world class kitchen for you to use. Because Bulavou is just a one time wander with customers because no one ever goes back.

I know for sure my friends and family will certainly never.

Regards

Mark

7. Re: Nananu-I-ra: Bulavou Beach Bungalows

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2010, 05:15