We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I don't want to take my laptop but....

Bunbury, Australia
Level Contributor
221 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
I don't want to take my laptop but....

Hi all, I'll be staying in Suva and maybe Denarau, I don't want to take my laptop but need to access my bank accounts, I'm a bit concerned about privacy, I also would like to be able to access skype to ring back home.

Any suggestions please?

take care,

Mentioned in this post
Suva
Suva
Viti Levu, Fiji
Denarau Beach
Denarau Beach
299 Reviews
Viti Levu, Fiji
Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,642 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I don't want to take my laptop but....

Hi

Most hotels have internet service available with necessary security in place.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
437 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I don't want to take my laptop but....

Here is a trick I use when I am overseas and on public computers

Most fraud software memorises your keyboard usage to identify your paswords. So with that in mind you need to have word doc open and your internet log on page open in a seperate window.

Start typing in word doc,,,, just do rubbish keys such as

woietusopithjaeopghawer0vhje0aji345775423

Then using your MOUSE, click onto the internet log on page and type 2 keys of your password.

Using your mouse,, go back into word and type rubbish again..

Go back and forth until you have your full password is typed on your log on page...

If there is any fraud software present, then its memory is full of rubbish letters and numbers with your password hidden within it.

I have never had any trouble

Tasmania
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I don't want to take my laptop but....

Oh thanks for that!! We were going to access our bank account while staying at the Sheraton next month and I will be printing out your hint to take with me!! I love the advice we get here...you are all so helpful !! thanks:)

Bunbury, Australia
Level Contributor
221 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I don't want to take my laptop but....

thebirchadventure!

You are brilliant. I wouldn't have thought of that. I'm never sure if the screen can be seen elsewhere as I have with my work seen someone take over my computer, ie they can see exactly as I do what is on my screen. You don't even know that they are taking over until you see the mouse mysteriously move and click on things. I was in the travel industry and one of the girls called us into the bosses office (who was away) and saw him do it to his own computer!! It was a bit scary at first. How do they do that?

I think, if they can do that to show you things or take over your computer (as work antispyware people can also do) then that can be set up on foreign computers.

Any thoughts?

kind regards,

5. Re: I don't want to take my laptop but....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 May 2010, 02:30
Australia
Level Contributor
615 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I don't want to take my laptop but....

What a great idea!!!! Thankyou too!!

Another suggestion if you have an iPhone, I use it for my banking and use the free wifi too!!

Happy holidaying!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
437 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I don't want to take my laptop but....

I am certainly no IT expert but I would imagine that if they are watching, they are only able to see you type your password which shows up as dots or asterisks on the screen, so they cant see it anyway, keystrokes is usually the problem.

Hopefully someone else on here is a bit of an expert and can enlighten us.

Never keep your passwords saved in a word doc on your laptop. That could be a problem if someone can take control.

8. Re: I don't want to take my laptop but....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2010, 05:17