We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights, where to stay to experience Fiji

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
5 nights, where to stay to experience Fiji

Hi folks

We have a 5 night stay in Fiji arriving 06.45 Sunday 7 November. We have the first 4 nights booked at The Raddison (but can cancel, no charge) Would love to experience the true Fiji islands. Please can you recommend a nice island for maybe even our 3rd and 4th night. We looked at some islands but the flights seemed quite expensive and the schedules didn't appear to match up.

Our departure flight time will be 11.20 am so need to be close to airport on the last night

thanks so much. really grateful for your help. Never been anywhere this far before!!

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,315 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 nights, where to stay to experience Fiji

Personally, recommend staying on one the islands. The resorts at Denarau are large hotel chains with very little Fijian feel in my opinion. The beach has dark pebbly sand, and the water is murky. There is no snorkeling off the beach. You can take day trips to islands to experience the beautiful white sand beaches, crystal clear water, and great snorkeling that Fiji is know for.

Have a look at the websites for Navini and Viwa. Both are small resorts. Navini is close to the mainland and will pick you up at Nadi.

http://www.navinifiji.com.fj/

It takes around 40 minutes by helicopter, or approximately 3 hours by boat to get to Viwa. You would have spend the night before your flight on the mainland.

If you would like to see pictures of our vacation to Viwa, send me your e-mail address in a private message. I will send you an invitation to view pictures we posted on Picasa website.

Am sure other posters will respond with other suggestions for you. Hope this helps.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
437 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 nights, where to stay to experience Fiji

If your idea of the real fiji is beach and snorkeling, then yes, head to an Island.

If you want to see traditional Fiji and its people then the Coral Coast is a good place to start.

1. What is your standard of accommodation?

Are you looking for resort with day trips? Are you looking for a village homestay experience? Are you looking for inbetween? :-)

Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 nights, where to stay to experience Fiji

It depends on what type of person you are and what you want from the holiday.

With 5 days, you have to stay in one spot. Go for the main island or a small one.

If you like 5 star luxury, everything sterile, perfect pool, yuk beach, lego land then stay on the main island.

If you want to get more of the Fiji feel go to an island. The beaches are beautiful, you can swin straight out to a spectacular reef. The swimming pools are fine, not the ame level as the main land, but that doesn't matter when you have the beach etc. The staff on the islands are generally the local peole, so you get a good family feeling. Also, there is room to move and find your own spot.

We sepnt two nights on Denarau, I was glad to leave. You could stay in a place like that anywhere in the world. I love luxury, but I didn't go to Fiji for it.

So, it just depends on what you are looking for. If you want luxury, perfect pool and rooms, no sand or real world, then stay on the main island.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 nights, where to stay to experience Fiji

Thanks everyone for your help and pm's I'm going to do some more research tonight and follow up some great suggestions

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 nights, where to stay to experience Fiji

have a look at Matamanoa island, MAna or Treasure island resort. All are fairly close to Denarau

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 nights, where to stay to experience Fiji

Personally, I would cancell Raddison if you can and spend you whole time on an island, you won't regret it.

As Blaze has said, check out Mana (my fav), Treasure or Matamanoa (adults only). There is also Malolo and Castaway to consider.

Nola :)

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,610 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 nights, where to stay to experience Fiji

For a real Fiji experience have a look at Botaira Beach resort in the Yasawa Islands to the north west of Nadi, transfer is by large catamaran the Yasawa Flyer, The Raddison is not what I would call a Fiji experience it is lovely hotel very much a western style resort hotel.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 nights, where to stay to experience Fiji

I agree with Hooked --- have a look at Botaira to experience "real Fiji". Very reasonably priced, great reef and good rooms. Read our recent reviews, we had a great time there in May.

If you can cancel the Raddison, grab it and look elsewhere.

Julie,

England
Level Contributor
65 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 nights, where to stay to experience Fiji

Some great tips here, sorry to hijack post, me and my girlfriend are going in november and want to know if there are any cheap accomodation on the islands as we are back packing, ideally backpacker lodges.

England
Level Contributor
65 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 nights, where to stay to experience Fiji

Some great tips here, sorry to hijack post, me and my girlfriend are going in november and want to know if there are any cheap accomodation on the islands as we are back packing, ideally backpacker lodges.