We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel bill due 45 days in advance?

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel bill due 45 days in advance?

Hi guys,

I am about to book a resort in Fiji in mid-september but am worried with the hotel´s booking policy. After exchanging several emails with the hotel staff, I wanted to make the reservation but was asked for the following:

- Pay now (05 July) 1000USD (33%) of the total price as a reservation.

- The rest, (approx 2000USD) is due 45 days in advance.

It seems a little bit strange having to make a full payment 45 days before even using the hotel. Isn´t the bill usually due on leave?

It also feels akward making a reservation for 33% of the total price.

We are used to travelling and we usually provide our credit card details as a guarantee, or even make small payments for a reservation.

Is this normal?

Have you guys been asked for the same?

I flagged this in my response, however their only answer was "standard policy for small boutique resorts in Fiji that have very limited accommodation"

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel bill due 45 days in advance?

When you book through a travel agent there is airfares and deposit paid upfront and balance due 30 days prior, so I guess this is similar. Also depending on what time of year you are travelling(ie. xmas/new year, school holidyas etc) payment is sometimes required in full. Do you mind me asking name of resort, that way people may be able to vouch for there reliability etc??

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel bill due 45 days in advance?

Hi Zhad

ummmm...I'd be very cautious. Have you booked directly with the resort?

I am assuming you have. There are some small boutique resorts which have had some financial problems during the GFC in the last year or so.

I would suggest you check reviews on this site about the resort first , and perhaps tell us the name of the resort so the people on the forum can assist you. I agree with kirjobat when she asks politely for the name of it.

I personally wouldn't pay out that much without knowing if this was genuine.

I have booked the resort I am staying at in early August directly via email, as a returning customer and I have paid for one night's accommodation in advance. But they are well established.

hope to hear which small boutique resort you are referring to.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
347 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel bill due 45 days in advance?

When booking through a travel agent we have to have everything paid up front, a certain amount of time before depature. Air fares are instant purchase and can't be held with a deposit.

I haven't actually booked directly with a resort but many here have. Do some further research, maybe even ask a travel agent for their opinion.

Good for you for being cautious.

Kel <3

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel bill due 45 days in advance?

One resort we stayed at requested a deposit, and then one month before arriving we had to pay the total cost. It wasn't a large amount of money - I was in direct contact by phone and email with the resort and I understood this was just the way they had to operate in order to keep their rates low.

5. Re: Hotel bill due 45 days in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2010, 11:00
kingaroy QLD
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel bill due 45 days in advance?

wow!! that seems like alot of money, and in USD too? your money is worth double...

What resort/place are you staying at? Maybe someone on here has been there before and can let you know if they went through the same thing.

I know when your booking through a agent, yes you need to pay the costs up front usually 30 days prior to flying, but if your booking direct.....i don't see why they need upfront payment.

I stayed at the Warwick ( yes a larger resort ) I just gave my credit card details through their website to secure the booking, and they didnt charge me until i checked out.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,732 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel bill due 45 days in advance?

We have booked three different small, adults only resorts. All required a deposit at the time of booking. The remainder to be paid 30 to 45 days before arrival. The prices varied with each resort. We booked directly with the resorts and had no problems. The resorts are well established and have no financial problems.

Edited: 05 July 2010, 19:35
nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,235 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel bill due 45 days in advance?

I'm a cautious mortal and I'd say first off it really depends.

When I book accommodation in OZ through a real estate agent I'm often expected to pay 50% up front and the remainder on arrival. But it's charged to a credit card and I know the agent will keep the money in a trust account.

But somewhere I stay quite often (which shall remain nameless) now requires 50% upfront and the balance 30 days prior. I trust them but I'm sure the money doesn't go into a trust account so I now tend to leave my booking 'til very close to the time.

I booked the Intercontinental direct last year as it's a large hotel group. Same with hotel groups in Australia. Usually give my credit card details and amount is not normally charged until arrival. Although I'm sure something would be charged if I didn't turn up.

Am going to a small resort next month for the first time. As I don't know them I booked through an agent. The total amount is due 1 month before departure (on credit card). If anything goes wrong I can go back to the agent. If I like the place I'll probably book direct next time.

lifetraveller is right that there have been a number of places that have had problems. Some badly damaged by cyclones and some in receivership. There was at least one report of people having trouble getting money back or dates changed.

So to repeat what I said at the beginning. It depends.

As others have said, could you tell us the name of the resort?

Fiji
Level Contributor
469 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel bill due 45 days in advance?

it's pretty common to have to pre-pay accommodation in Fiji, especially in the islands. If they don't get paid, and you don't show up, it's not like they can resell the room to a walk in customer off the street! Usually the smaller/more exclusive the resort the stricter they are about cancellations. The bigger hotels on the mainland e.g. denarau and airport hotels, tend to be more lenient because they do get walk in business.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,642 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel bill due 45 days in advance?

I always book direct as it is usually cheaper and they take 10% or credit card to secure booking. You are cutting out the middleman so it should be cheaper.

Have never had a problem over many. many years of traveling to Fiji.