We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on Honeymoon

texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Need advice on Honeymoon

Hello,

My fiance and I just booked our airfare to go to Fiji for 7 nights in early October. I am having a hard time finding the right island / accomodation that fits us. A couple important things to us are GREAT beaches and nice accomodations. I was thinking of staying 5 nights on an island and 2 nights on the mainland. For around $800-900 USD per night, what can you recomend for an island stay? We love great beaches, snorkleing, and would prefer a place with A/C but it wouldn't be the end of the world without it. Thanks for the help!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
489 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on Honeymoon

Have a look at Qamea. www.qamea.com

Qamea is an awesome resort on a island off Taveuni. It has 14 beachfront bures on a beautiful private beach with great snorkeling and diving. This is an adults only, very romantic resort with luxury accommodations, including A/C, an incredible spa, beautiful grounds and great restaurant. We were married there in Oct 2008. It was fabulous.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,329 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on Honeymoon

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. You could not have chosen a more romantic destination than Fiji for your honeymoon.

Recommend Matangi Private Island Resort.

http://www.matangiisland.com

We have recently returned from our fourth vacation to Matangi, where we renewed our wedding vows. The 14 bures, separated by tropical gardens and lush vegetation, offer a choice of treehouse with jacuzzi tub, beachfront, and ocean view. All have outdoor lava rock showers which are incredible. A/C is installed in the canopy above the king-size beds. Makes for a very comfy nights sleep.

All meals are included in the price. Every day we snorkeled off the beach in front of our bure. It is breathtaking. Lots of fish, giant clams, blue starfish, and soft, hard, and plate coral to see. The beach has beautiful soft, white sand and great for walking or kayaking from.

If you would like to see pictures of our vacations to Matangi, send me your e-mail address in a private message. I will send you an invitation to view the pictures we posted on Picasa Website.

The following link has reviews for Matangi. Thought you would find it helpful and informative. Mine is the fourth one.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g754102-d308…

Don't hesitate to ask, if you have any questions about Matangi. Will happy to answer them for you.

Brisbane Qld
Level Contributor
212 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on Honeymoon

have a look at

http://www.royaldavui.com/index.html

texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on Honeymoon

Thanks for all of the great advice. I think that I would like to stay at Likuliku for 3 nights and Viwa (Yasawa Islands) for 3 nights. What do you guys think about this? Is the transfer going to be too difficult? Since I am only going to be in the islands for 6 nights, should I just stick to Likuliku and make a couple daytrips to neighboring islands? Are the beaches / water clairty really that much different between Yasawa and Mamanucas Islands?

Thanks again for all of the great advice!

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,329 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice on Honeymoon

There should be no problem getting between Liku Liku and Viwa. Liku Liku is close to the mainland. We took the helicopter to Viwa. After a long flight from the states, we wanted to get to Viwa as quick as possible. We arrived there are around 10 a.m. The flight takes about a half hour opposed to a two to three hour boat ride. The views of the water and islands is stunning.

Here is the link for Island Hoppers:

www.helicopters.com.fj/islandtransfers.html

Viwa made the reservations with island Hoppers for us. We paid the resort then they paid Island Hoppers. One less thing to worry about.

Send me your e-mail address in a private message, if you would like to see pictures of our vacation to Viwa. I will send you an invitation to view our pictures on Picasa website. The beach is fabulous and the water is crystal clear. Great for walking, kayaking, or swimming.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice on Honeymoon

Once you are at Likuliku, it will be very hard to leave......it is beautiful.

Chicago
Level Contributor
274 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice on Honeymoon

I agree with checking out Royal Davui. I have to say, we haven't seen great beaches anywhere in Fiji but Royal Davui more than made up for it. The accommodations are breathtaking, the service even better. The snorkeling is the best we've ever experienced - sea cucumbers, blue starfish, clownfish, angelfish, reef sharks - we saw it all!

We're at Likuliku as we speak and, other than the food which is stellar, we've been very disappointed. The tides affect Likuliku much more than Royal Davui and we've seen an empty basin of a lagoon for the majority of the day. It's very unattractive! If you go when high tide is in the middle of the day that will help, but we MUCH preferred our first week at Royal Davui. If only we could go back there right now for our last two nights!

texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advice on Honeymoon

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to do castaway for 3 nights and liku liku for 3. How can I figure out what time high tide is in october? What is the daily time frame on this? Royal davui is a little out of my price range (around 1k per night) Thanks again!

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,329 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need advice on Honeymoon

The following link has information on the tides in Fiji.

bom.gov.au/oceanography/…fiji

You may also find the following helpful, as it has suggestions of thing to take with you when vacationing in Fiji.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294331-c134773/Fiji:…

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need advice on Honeymoon

Thanks E&C for the link -- that is the one I use and I have checked it when I've been over there and it is correct.

Reasbbstar --- I always check the tides before I book any resort in Fiji to ensure I have high tide when it suits me.

The tides take 6 hours to go out and then another 6 hours to come back in.

They change by about 1 hour per day and are more extreme at full and new moons.

Lostinmadrid had low tide right in the middle of the day and it is also a new moon which makes the tide go that much further out than normal. It's not as pretty for that short time, but you can still go in the water and snorkel - off the jetty on a ladder.

Castaway is within kayaking distance from LL and gets great reviews.

Another option is Malolo Resort (sister resort just around the corner from LL) --- the rooms have just been refurbished and look lovely -- all new and sparklling.

Julie