We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccinations for Fiji

Newcastle
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Vaccinations for Fiji

Hi,

I know others have posted in the past about what vaccines to have before visiting Fiji - I would like to know what you would get it you were going to Fiji next month.

I rang my local medical centre and they recommended -

Hep A

Typhoid

Tetanus (it's been a long time since my last)

Diptheria.

Does this seem right to you guys? Would appreciate any comments and help.

Thanks,

Belinda.

sydney
Level Contributor
215 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaccinations for Fiji

That seems good to me,although the combination Hep A and B is better.Hepatitis B can also be transmitted if there is an accident and you come into contact with other people's blood who are carriers. Just a thought.

Also remember that it is a course of needles so you have to get it as soon as possble.

Cheers

nunks

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,101 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaccinations for Fiji

Have never bothered with any in over 25years of travelling to Fiji. However it is good to have at least the Tetanus shot if yours is not up to date. The Hep is up to you but no more necessary than at home the Typhoid is not necessary only outbreaks occur after cyclones and flooding and is not wide spread. You will be going in the dry season so no worries.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,101 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaccinations for Fiji

Just saw you had Diptheria listed, never heard of anyone being told to have that.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vaccinations for Fiji

Thanks both for responding.

I think that diptheria is combined with the tetanus... but I will ask.

I went last year without getting any vaccines but want to be safe.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,935 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vaccinations for Fiji

I had a tetanus shot recently and the vaccines used here nowadays are a combination of tetanus and diptheria which seemed very odd to me. I asked the nurse why and she had no idea.

But I wouldn't bother with anything especially for Fiji unless I was really going to be living rough.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
347 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vaccinations for Fiji

We were vaccinated last year but if I had to do it again I wouldn't bother.

Unless you are staying out in the villages where food prep, hygeine etc.... may be iffy then I woud just use common sense at resorts.

Kel <3

Bathurst, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Viti Levu, Treasure Island, Sonaisali Island, Nadi
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vaccinations for Fiji

I don't bother with anything and i do not have the best health! I have been fine every trip no issues i would not worry if i was you!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vaccinations for Fiji

Have never bothered, even for my son. I would though make sure your tetanus is up to date. The only time I would is if I wasn't staying at a resort Other than that I wouldn't worry about it. It is only a recommendation and not required. As long as you pratice good hygiene habits you will be fine.

Nola :)

9. Re: Vaccinations for Fiji

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2011, 14:40