We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Fiji for first time - need your advice!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Fiji for first time - need your advice!

Hello. my husband and I are planning to travel to Fiji for two weeks in May. Not knowing too much about the islands, we are hoping to get some feedback as to which islands are people's favorites and how many we should feasibly plan on visiting in this amount of time. We are in our early 30's, no kids, and are looking mainly to relax - Important factors for include staying in the less-touristy areas, good beaches for sunning and swimming, good food/drink, and exploring the island with some snorkeling, hiking, etc.

In 2 weeks, should we plan on visiting and staying at a couple different islands? Which ones are most beautiful? least busy? best beaches? romantic accommodations? what islands are easiest to visit during a day trip? any "must see" spots that are not to be missed? any general advice is much appreciated!

Thank you!

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,399 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Fiji for first time - need your advice!

With two weeks would visit a couple of islands. The best beaches with white sand and crystal clear blue water is found on the islands.

Matangi is our favorite resort in Fiji. Returned from our fourth vacation there this past March. It is a small adults only resort. The 14 bures bures offer a choice of tree house, beachfront and ocean view. All have out door lava showers which are incredible. The beach is good and the snorkeling is breathtaking. Lot of fish, giant clams, blue star fish, and soft, hard and plate coral to see. You can hike around the island as well as take tours to Taveuni.

http://www.matangiisland.com/

We also vacationed at Viwa a couple of years ago. Again a small resort. The beach is stunning. Great for walking swimming, walking, or kayaking regardless of the tide. The beach is better at Viwa, but found the snorkeling at Matangi much better.

http://www.viwaislandresort.com/

If you would like to see pictures of our vacations to these resorts, send me your e-mail address in a private message. They will give you a good idea of the grounds, pool, bures, snorkeling, etc. Will be my pleasure to share them with you.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Fiji for first time - need your advice!

Thanks so much for this info - Matangi looks absolutely amazing!

I am wondering as if a first time visitor - do you think it would be good to spend much time on the main island or Vanua Levu? Or just forgo these all together and go to the smaller islands? I know you mentioned that when staying at Matangi, you can visit Taveuni. So the resort is able to provide transport there and give you enough time to really explore that island?

My only concern is with going only to 2 smaller islands, will there be enough area for us to explore and get out and do things such as hiking, etc. or would it be better to be in a larger area for this type of activity for a few days? It seems fairly expensive to move around so thinking about how to get the best exposure without actually moving locations that often.

thanks again!

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,399 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Fiji for first time - need your advice!

You're welcome. Would you like to see pictures of our vacations to Matangi? Will be my pleasure to share them with you.

Personally, we don't spend time on the mainland. We find the resorts too large and have too many of families with children. The beaches are also not very good. The beach at Denarau is dark, pebbly, and the water murky. Best beaches with crystal clear blue water are found in the islands.

Matangi offers tours to the Bouma Water Falls and Lavena Coastal Walk on Taveuni, and a couple others for a fee. Really can't explore Taveuni on your own.

As for Matangi. It is a 240 acre island. No other resorts or restaurants.You can hike Beverly Hill and overlook Horseshoe Bay. Takes a few hours. There are also kayaks and two catamarans to explore the island. The daily snorkeling tours and village/school tour are must do's. You can snorkel right off the beach in front of the bures. We snorkeled off the beach every day. It is breathtaking. Most days had the beach to ourselves.

Transportation between the islands can be expensive and take a lot of time depending on the distance between them. Have a look at the website for Liku Liku Lagoon Resort. Haven't stayed there, so can offer no first hand advice. It is about 15 miles from the mainland, and the only resort in Fiji with over the water bungalows. It would be easy and quick to get from from Nadi to Liku Liku and back to Nadi to catch a flight for Matangi.

http://www.likulikulagoon.com/

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to ask, if you have any further questions. Am happy to help.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,399 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Fiji for first time - need your advice!

Do you have to go in May? Air Pacific has a sale running on flights from LAX to Nadi. Tickets must be purchased by the end of October and flights completed by the end of March. Just thought I would mention it, as you might find it helpful.

http://www.airpacific.com/

Fiji
Level Contributor
469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Fiji for first time - need your advice!

I would recommend you split your trip between two regions. The Mamanuca islands are easily accessible from the mainland so it makes transfers much easier. One of my favourite islands is Malolo Lailai because it is a larger island with a few resorts and there are lots of activities to try. It's also only 45mins by boat from Denarau on the main island. I would recommend Lomani because it is adults only. If you have some extra $$$ to spend, Liku liku lagoon is also lovely and very upscale (it's on the island of Malolo, about 15mins by boat from Malolo Lailai).

The northern islands are definitely off the beaten track! Just make sure you leave plenty of time for flight connections - the domestic air service is not that reliable and delays are common. Matangi and Qamea are both great choices.

Maui Hawaii
Level Contributor
23 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Fiji for first time - need your advice!

Bula

I agree with other posts; you have time to ck out both sides of Fiji. The west side is going to give you the big sand beaches however the east side is lovely too visit too with great snorkeling. Depending on budget will decide which combo works. The best all inclusive value is www.Nukubati.com located NE along the Geat Sea Reef. For a west side resort I like Matamanoa, Tokoriki, Viwa island but for the ultimate white sand head to Yasawa island.

7. Re: Traveling to Fiji for first time - need your advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 September 2010, 22:16
Maui Hawaii
Level Contributor
23 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to Fiji for first time - need your advice!

Bula,

I beg to differ on the statement Nukubati is over $1,000 per night (they should be as it is all inclusive) but here is a sample of one of their specials you can find on their website:

Beachfront Suite!

Enjoy one of only four spacious beachfront suites, just metres from the beach and overlooking the Great Sea Reef. Each suite consists of a queen size bedroom with spacious lounge room and verandahs to savour the sunset or stargaze at night.

PLEASE NOTE ALL SPECIALS ARE ALL INCLUSIVE

* ALL MEALS including a romantic picnic on a secluded

sandbank

* ALL BEVERAGES including alcohol

* DAILY LAUNDRY and MAID SERVICE

* ALL NON-MOTORISED RESORT ACTIVITIES

* 30 MINUTE MASSAGE PER PERSON

* RETURN GROUND TRANSFERS LABASA/NUKUBATI

CURRENT SPECIALS valid to 31 March 2011 :

*Stay 5 nights for the price of 4 US$2840 per couple

plus 17.5% Fiji Government taxes.

Vinaka

9. Re: Traveling to Fiji for first time - need your advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 September 2010, 22:16
Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,757 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling to Fiji for first time - need your advice!

Viwa is well worth consideration. Vatulele is a wonderful resort too. I agree the Taveuni area is great for hiking and snorkeling a variety of resorts on that island too but as previously mentioned Matangi has got to be a must visit.