We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fiji Rum?

Salado, Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Fiji Rum?

I love rum, and think it is cool that Fiji has its own rum... but it is hard to get any information on it.

I have found Seven Tiki and Bounty Rums online... are they good? What are there stories? Can you get them at any market? Are they duty free at the airport?

Are they sold in the States?

Any others?

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fiji Rum?

Bounty Rum is a good rum, that all the locals drink.

It is a dark rum and can be bought throughout Fiji, and duty free. If I remember right it is about $30fj for a large bottle duty free....but that could be Waaay off! lol

it is also known for being quite strong!

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fiji Rum?

You can get them duty free at Nadi airport.

We have a bottle of Bounty Overproof Fiji rum and it's 99% alcohol/vol

I haven't tried it, as I'm not a rum drinker. But it's very strong!

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fiji Rum?

You're right kirjobat, its cheap.

We got a small bottle for about F$12

So F$30 is probably correct for 750ml

Victoria
Level Contributor
302 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fiji Rum?

Bula. Purely by coincidence I've been partaking of a few Bounty rums tonight, which I brought home from Fiji the other week.

Duty free, you can two 1100ml bottles of the OP Bounty (58% alcohol....) for $49FJD at Nadi airport.. Single bottles are about$26FJD

It's a dark rum in the Jamaican style, I have not tried the white version of Bounty. There is also the underproof version which is 40% - i believe it's sold in Australia under a couple of labels namely Inner Circle and Holy Dollar.

I also saw another rum, "Plantation" that was in 750ml bottles and was 40% alc.

You can also get the excellent Appleton Estate VX rum at Nadi duty free - it's Jamaican, not Fijian but it is a very nice drop and not as harsh as Bounty.

Edited: 25 September 2010, 18:44
Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,907 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fiji Rum?

Bounty is a very good rum and has won awards. Just check that you buy the Fiji bottled Bounty not the New Zealand one. Check the label.

Salado, Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fiji Rum?

Thanks for the replies!

So nothing on Seven Tiki huh?

While I am on the subject, does Fiji have any famous/notable alcoholic drinks? Mai Tai is the only thing that comes to mind, but I think that is Hawaiin...

Tallahassee, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fiji Rum?

I am not a fan of Bounty. After buying a bottle, we were disappointed. It is was much harsher than the rum I am used to. If you are used to drinking Captain Morgans or something similar, Bounty is nothing like it. Buy something you know you will like, and if you are traveling out to any of the islands, be sure to buy any mixers too.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fiji Rum?

yes MaiTai is hawaiian.

You will probably find that each resort has its own "famous" cocktail.

ie. Hideaway resort does a fantastic Bananarama!!

Most cocktails in Fiji are rum based.

Bathurst, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Viti Levu, Treasure Island, Sonaisali Island, Nadi
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fiji Rum?

You can buy them duty free at the airport both going and coming. You can also buy from the store and shops in Fiji. Its a different type of rum i tried a bottle of the white one last year and it is strong! Try the below link i found it tells you a little bit about the different types available hope this helps!

http://fijibounty.com/PRODUCTS.html

Edited: 04 October 2010, 07:18
10. Re: Fiji Rum?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2011, 07:34