We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for kids if raining

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
139 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for kids if raining

Hi

We arrive in Fiji for 10 nights on Wednesday (6 Oct) and the weather forecast is for rain, rain and more rain.

We are staying 5 nights Denarau (Sofitel) and 5 days at Plantation Island with 2 girls (7yrs and 9yrs).

Any suggestions of what we can do - they are planning on swimming for 10 days - but would like some other options.

Thanks

Karen

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for kids if raining

Hi Karen,

You would be unlucky to get 10 days of rain at this time of the year, especially out at Plantation Resort (less rain in the Mamanuca Islands).

I don't take much notice of the weather forecast because it always seems to say rain ~~~ you may just get an afternoon or evening shower.

Hope you have a great holiday --- only 2 sleeps to go!!

Julie.

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for kids if raining

Agree with Julie. You are going just before the official ‘wet season’. We have been in the wet season before and have only got showers in the late afternoon or over night. Also if it does rain, the kids club will provide entertainment for your kids.

Nola :)

Fiji
Level Contributor
469 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for kids if raining

It is going to rain next week - hallelujah! It's been so dry in the west we really need it (we're not even allowed to wash our cars at the moment!). It probably won't last very long though. Here's what Neville Coop says: "Midweek weather becomes more unsettled as trades ease and shift more easterly. As a result humidity will pick up and hence afternoon showers and thunderstorms become more of a risk - possibly as early as Wednesday but more likely on Thursday. By the weekend we may well see more widespread rain as low pressure develops to the north and moves down towards Fiji"

I would suggest some board games, playing cards and DVDs. You can still snorkel if it's raining. In fact the fish seem to come alive in the rain!

Bathurst, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Viti Levu, Treasure Island, Sonaisali Island, Nadi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for kids if raining

If at this time of the year you are going it rained the whole time that would be a freak thing. You can get the odd afternoon/evening and overnight shower but not massive rain usually. In all the times i have been and in all different months including the wet season i have never had the whole trip with rain. Most people still swim and do all the activities regardless of the rain! Most resorts have great kids clubs that can entertain the kids for hours doing load of different things! Your children would not be bored i think they would have a great time regardless!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
139 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for kids if raining

Thanks everyone.

We leave tomorrow and have packed a few games for the girls. I figure we can leave them at the resort for other families and the locals when we leave.

Karen

Bathurst, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Viti Levu, Treasure Island, Sonaisali Island, Nadi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for kids if raining

That's a really nice idea re leaving the games on the resort or at the local village im sure they will love them! Enjoy your trip look forward to some reviews when you get back all the best!

7. Re: Suggestions for kids if raining

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2011, 08:16