We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single Young Female Traveler's First Time in Fiji :)

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Single Young Female Traveler's First Time in Fiji :)

On my way to Australia to meet up with some friends, I will be making a stop in Fiji for 9 days. I booked with Awesome Adventures Fiji so that I have an organized group to go travel with. I will be spending my first night in Nadi and my last there.I will be traveling the Yasawas and Mananuca Islands. Just wondering how safe it is for the lone traveler in Nadi? Also if there are any tips anyone would have for me? Has anyone been on the Awesome Adventure Fiji tours? And how easy is it to meet people, will I be a rarity going by myself? I realize my first day in Nadi I will be jetlagged coming all the way from Vancouver, so it will most likely be a lot of resting. Also wondering about how safe it is for my luggage in some of these places and what the crime rate is like.

I've never been south of San Diego and more east then Turkey and have traveled to London by myself and had a great time meeting new people and establishing great relationships. I am in my mid-twenties and am pretty outgoing, but have never done an organized tour before. Any help and suggestions or general tips are welcomed! Also how is the weather in the beginning of November?

Go Dirty Tours Fiji
Equipment Hire, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Discover Fiji Tours
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, River Rafting & Tubing, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Pacific Island Air
Helicopter Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Air Tours
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single Young Female Traveler's First Time in Fiji :)

You will be fine travelling in Fiji on your own and you will get to meet lots of other travellers.

I would recommend Blue Water Lodge for your first night in Nadi - have a look at their website and reviews. There were other solo travellers there when we stayed last May and it is in a quieter area of the Backpacker hotels, good food, clean and good priced rooms.

Definitely get up to the Yasawas --- I have stayed at Botaira and it is great for the solo traveller (I have a review with photos under my name). Seeing as you have 9 days, you will be able to go to a few different places.

I am sure others will come in and offer advice to help you ~~~

Tallahassee, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Single Young Female Traveler's First Time in Fiji :)

My husband and I traveled the Yasawas in July. We met many single female backpackers along the way. We found Fiji to be a very friendly country, and subsequently all the travelers were friendly. The islands of the Mamanucas and Yasawas are small with only resorts and villages. The village members often work at or run tours for the resorts. We stayed at the Blue Lagoon Beach Resort on Nacula and highly recommend it. The only other resort on the island is right next door, the Oarsman. Some of the backpackers came to the BLBR to buy breakfast, apparently the food was not as good next door.

One tip- the trip out to Nacula is about 4.5hrs, we upgraded our tickets to sit in the Captain's Lounge. It has AC, free drinks and snacks and you still get the beautiful views without the sunburn. But it was mainly families in the lounge, you may meet more younger travelers on the other decks.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single Young Female Traveler's First Time in Fiji :)

Fiji is very safe, especially out in the islands. There are rarely lockers or anything, yet I never heard of anything being stolen or whatever.

There are heaps of other young solo travelers in the Yasawa Islands. You'll often bump into people over and over again. Most just buy the Bula Pass and island hop on their own pace and book their own accommodation, as Awesome Adventures has a not-so-good reputation with their packages - and they aren't very good value. They're perfectly fine for just providing transportation though, as the Flyer is good and comfortable.

Also, if you did book one of their packages, they're not organized group tours - you will still be traveling solo for the most part. But as I already said, you'll likely bump into the same people at different resorts throughout your trip.

Just a correction to the last response is that Nacula Island has more than just the Blue Lagoon & Oarsmans resorts on it, though they are at the nicest beach on the island.

Brisbane Qld
Level Contributor
212 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single Young Female Traveler's First Time in Fiji :)

in Nadi consider Smugglers Cove. Lots of young trvellers stay at this accommodation

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,675 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Single Young Female Traveler's First Time in Fiji :)

As this it your first trip to Fiji, you may find the following link helpful. Has suggestions of things to take with you. Hope you find it helpful.

6. Re: Single Young Female Traveler's First Time in Fiji :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2011, 05:30