We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying a case of champagne or good sparkling wine

Melbourne
Level Contributor
6 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Buying a case of champagne or good sparkling wine

I am looking to buy a case or two of champagne or good sparkling wine in Nadi or Port Denarau to take to an island resort for my daughters wedding .Can anyboby offer a suggestion and appox prices.

laj
Brisbane Aust
Level Contributor
374 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying a case of champagne or good sparkling wine

I bought a couple of bottles at the airport..there wasn't a lot to choose from. I found that the prices were pretty much the same as home, taking currency conversion into account.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Denarau Island
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying a case of champagne or good sparkling wine

I cant help you with prices, but bear in mind your duty free allowance.

Last trip (in June) , we were only allowed to buy 1 case of beer between the 2 of us, so I'd be very surprised if you'd get away with more than a couple of bottles of wine-unless you are in a large party & "spread the load".

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying a case of champagne or good sparkling wine

Many of the supermarkets sell alcohol, including beer and wine. Doubt if you'd be able to buy a case at the airport, you'd have to pay duty on anything over the duty free allowance, so it may work out cheaper to get it at a supermarket.

Hope the wedding is wonderful.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
380 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying a case of champagne or good sparkling wine

Suggest you buy duty free as much as possible before you leave Aus - you can take more wine than spirits. The range is quite limited once you arrive and prices quite high. Bottles of wine at the supermarket in Sigatoka were 2 and 3 times the price in Brisbane only 3 weeks ago.

Goonellabah
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying a case of champagne or good sparkling wine

Last week, we got 3 bottles of Chandon for $55 dollars duty free in Aust. They really only had Chandon or Moet. From memory the Moet mostly in packs of 2, and was almost the same price as you can get it on special.

Bathurst, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Viti Levu, Treasure Island, Sonaisali Island, Nadi
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying a case of champagne or good sparkling wine

I have bought sparkling from both the Supermarket in Nadi and at Denarau while they may not have what you are looking for they may have something that might suit your tastes! Resorts will have plenty but at a resort price so if you don't get what you want ti will not be a total loss!

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,727 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying a case of champagne or good sparkling wine

Duty free allowance for wine is 4 or 4.5 litres per person (double the allowance for spirits). Duty free shops always quote 6 bottles per person which is 4.5 litres. So a case between 2 people would be fine.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying a case of champagne or good sparkling wine

Have you thought about buying a case before leaving at say Dan Murphy or the like, and taking it with you?

I took 1/2 doz bottles of champagne with me last trip, just wrapped in bubble wrap in my case, but maybe you could distribute between a few peoples cases?

Anyway just a thought??

9. Re: Buying a case of champagne or good sparkling wine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2011, 05:15