We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girls Trip (over 40) - Musket Cove/Lomani/Malolo/Castaway Is

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Girls Trip (over 40) - Musket Cove/Lomani/Malolo/Castaway Is

Hi all,

Girls trip over 40 ending a S Pacific trip in Fiji. Will have 3 nights would like to stay on Mamanucas island. Hard time choosing between above (by the way not listed in any order in title). I've read through reviews but trying to get some feedback. Not opposed to a family resort but we don't a place over run with children. Not looking for too much seclusion as it's a girls trip. Relaxation and Fun required. I did have Mana Island Resort in list as well but I figured I needed to get it down to 3 or 4 choices. should I reconsider Mana and drop one of the other choices?

Asking for thoughts based on above, will be there in February.

Thanks for any input.

Sydney
Level Contributor
488 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girls Trip (over 40) - Musket Cove/Lomani/Malolo/Castaway Is

I would choose Musket Cove out of your suggestions for a girls holiday -- just because you'll get all the yachtie crowd popping in. Have a look at The Reef House which gets great reviews.

Lomani is adults only -- but might be a bit quiet for your needs ~~

Malolo, Castaway and Mana will definitely have kids there and are more family orientated.

Have fun !!

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girls Trip (over 40) - Musket Cove/Lomani/Malolo/Castaway Is

Agree with Julie,

Musket Cove is the place to go for a girls holiday, the island F$4 bar is a great place to meet people from all over the world, and a really friendly atmosphere. I went for a "girls' ( old girls lol) holiday in August to Musket and we met and talked to many people, even some of the owners of the private houses there. The island bar is the meeting place! If you get an Armstrong Villa, 2 bed right on the water, they are near the marina. But 3 can sleep in the Lagoon or waterfront Bures (and no kids stay in them). Plenty of other activities at Musket, I recommend an island hop.

Lomani (on the same island) is "dead quiet" and is great for couples on romantic getaways.

Malolo is lovely, but quieter, and Castaway has more families.

have fun!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Girls Trip (over 40) - Musket Cove/Lomani/Malolo/Castaway Is

Thanks all, just found out Musket Cove is closing in Feb for refurbishment so we won't be able to stay there. Malolo is booked so looks like it's Castaway, Lomani or Mana.

We don't want to be too quiet so I'm thinking Lomani might be too quiet. Although Castaway I'm hearing will have more chance for kids. But I'm wondering if we should risk it and go with them.

We'll have to chat as a group and see what the girls think. Maybe between Castaway and Mana.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,039 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girls Trip (over 40) - Musket Cove/Lomani/Malolo/Castaway Is

Go Mana - at least it's a bit bigger, you have a choice of dining options and heaps of space to get away from the families. Bummer about Musket - it would have been perfect. What about Vomo or is that over budget?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
165 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Girls Trip (over 40) - Musket Cove/Lomani/Malolo/Castaway Is

Castaway is great but there's isn't much night life. Staff put on a few things after dinner and there's a meke one night, but then it's usually just a few people round the bar. Not to say you wouldn't have a great time but just so's you know.

Susi

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girls Trip (over 40) - Musket Cove/Lomani/Malolo/Castaway Is

There are private houses to rent on Malolo Lai Lei Island which would suit your group --- do a search on The Reef House as one of our TA members (Fiji Grant), here owns it and rents it out.

They have bikes to get around the island on so you can still get to the bars quickly !!

Hope this helps,

Julie.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Girls Trip (over 40) - Musket Cove/Lomani/Malolo/Castaway Is

Musket Cove Resort will be closed for 1 month, February, for a general refurb. It's the hottest/ month of the year usually and their low season.

However, I suspect the Trader shop and bar near the marina will still open for yachties.

There are 2 other resorts on Malol Lailai island, Plantation and Lomani, plus Malolo Lailai Lagoon Club - a timeshare near the marina.

and of course the private houses, but you'd need to self cater at the Reef House, which is right next to the beach. ( 2 small supermarkets/shops for supplies on the island)

Malolo Island Resort would be my next choice, the owners also own Likiliku at the other end of Malolo Island.

Have a wonderful time where ever you go.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Girls Trip (over 40) - Musket Cove/Lomani/Malolo/Castaway Is

Vomo is a bit out of our price range of what we want to pay. Everyone has been great with information. I'm still reading through posts/reviews on the resorts. Need to decide in the next day or two.

Thanks again to all who have posted. I appreciate the information you have shared. I can't wait to head to the S Pacific for our two week vacation.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Girls Trip (over 40) - Musket Cove/Lomani/Malolo/Castaway Is

Hi, have stayed at mana several times in Feb and wasn't over run with children- you'll have beautiful North beach to yourselves.

Fiji
Level Contributor
469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Girls Trip (over 40) - Musket Cove/Lomani/Malolo/Castaway Is

That's a shame - I would have said that Musket would be perfect!

Well as a second choice I would probably recommend Lomani as it is on the same island. It is small and secluded, but you can wander over to Plantation if you want some night life. Hopefully they won't close the Musket island bar in Feb because that's another great hang out! I doubt that they will because all of the yachties and private home owners hang out there.