We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would it be impolite to bring clothes to give away

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Would it be impolite to bring clothes to give away

Hi we leave for fiji on the weekend and staying on tokoriki island at amunuca. I have bought some bits and pieces of school type supplies to give to the kids (just pencils and coloured rubbers and some whisles) but what do you think the protocol would be if I brought some of my and my son's grown out of but in nice condition clothing to give away. Would that be acceptable do you think? Obviously summery clothes only hahah.

Maryborough...
Level Contributor
199 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would it be impolite to bring clothes to give away

Yes that is fine. When we went to the Coral Coast we took a full suitcase of clothes for the nearby village. We were mindful of the protocol of having shoulders covered, so we didn't take over any halter neck or strapless tops or anything revealing etc. They accepted with thanks.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would it be impolite to bring clothes to give away

Good used clothing is very acceptable. I always take a large bag of childrens' clothing and it is eagerly awaited each year.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would it be impolite to bring clothes to give away

ok thank you. How would I go about offering it to them. Would I mention it at the resort when I check in? thanks sweetkerrie for the heads up about nothing strapless or too singlet-y. Thanks guys

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would it be impolite to bring clothes to give away

The resort may have a system of fairly distributing gifts, so it would pay to mention it on check-in. Often gifts like that are given directly to housekeeping staff, as they are the people you are most likely to have contact with - but that means that other staff miss out (kitchen/ dining etc). If you go on a village visit then a school teacher is often a good person to distribute things).

Sydney, Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Would it be impolite to bring clothes to give away

I agree with TaiMarilyn, talk to the GM about the best way to go about getting the clothes to the people that need it the most.

6. Re: Would it be impolite to bring clothes to give away

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2011, 06:17