We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there any benefit to working with a travel agent?

Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Topic
Is there any benefit to working with a travel agent?

We know where we want to stay - Navini - we know when we want to go - May - we know how to get the prices from Navini and book the airfair online....

The only benefit to me would be a cheaper price but I don't see how that would happen with a "middle man" that needs to be paid.....

Am I missing something?

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,432 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there any benefit to working with a travel agent?

Hi Tammy

We are going to Navini in Feb.

We booked with Navini, and booked our flight online with Continental.

We always book our own.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
226 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there any benefit to working with a travel agent?

We always book direct with hotels then airfare online. Havent used travel agent for goodness knows how many years. Always save heaps esp.on accom.

as we usually travel to Bali every year I know what a good deal is seeing as this time we are going to Fiji I did go to a travel agent to get a quote and it was over $500 dearer than doing myself. Dont know how TA manage to stay in business.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there any benefit to working with a travel agent?

Hi Tammy,

You are not missing a thing. I always book myself ,online or direct depending on the property since I booked my first trip through Blue Holidays (Virgin Blue) then found I could have got it myself online, booking online flights and direct with the property $600 cheaper!!

I was compelled to book through Flight Centre for a Blue Lagoon Cruise at half price because it was only offered through them and later Escape Travel. I have no end of grief chasing them for invoices, payment details and finally the confirmation tickets. Do it yourself then everything is in your email inbox!! lololol

Have a great trip

Mari.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there any benefit to working with a travel agent?

Just to let you know that other side................

I have always book thru a travel agent. If I find a good price on line, she always matches it. It think the trick is that I always use the same travel agent for everything, so she knows me well.

What I like about it is that she does all the bookings and paperwork and transfers etc. and I just have to go in a pick up the paperwork. She is there is anything does wrong, which it did on one occasion and she had things sort out quickly. By the way, my travel agent works for Flight Centre. Just depends who you get.

I also had my favourite resort, Mana, tell me recently to go to the travel agent or look on line as they couldn't off me the same deals, even as a returnee.

One thing to remember though is that some resorts can't be book thru travel agents, so you may need to go to the resort direct.

Nola :)

Edited: 06 January 2011, 22:41
5. Re: Is there any benefit to working with a travel agent?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 January 2011, 03:59
Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,822 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there any benefit to working with a travel agent?

Book direct with the resort. It is owned by Aussies. Mary who looks after the bookings is very professional. The big plus is you are quoted in Fiji dollars so get the benefit of the current exchange rate not the fixed price in the travel brochures. Also they have some specials for those who book online . You pay per bure not per person for the accommodation. You are not missing anything just saving money there is no middle man, the travel wholesaler and the agent to get their cut. . We have just come back from about our 8th or 9th visit there over many years and love it more than ever. They have been in business with the one family ownership for over 30 years and the majority of guests are returnees. It is a very personal resort not touristy like staying with friends. Another plus is all the activities, eg. snorkeling trips, fishing trips, visits to other islands and village and school are included in the price this saves heaps. Diving or game fishing is extra.

Edited: 07 January 2011, 00:07
7. Re: Is there any benefit to working with a travel agent?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 January 2011, 02:49
sydney
Level Contributor
424 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there any benefit to working with a travel agent?

I'd be interested too Cricket, if you could pm me too!

I did see Octopus in one brochure from STA but the prices were no better than the resort's.

Hervey Bay...
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there any benefit to working with a travel agent?

Tetibird...I will PM you and let you know how I get on with prices. I too have only seen Octopus in 1 brochure...but I cant remember which one as it was a while ago now....

I have just recieved prices direct from Octopus today, so I will see how they compare with my TA who is away on holiday until Mon. So we will have to be patient until then :D

Melbourne
Level Contributor
174 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there any benefit to working with a travel agent?

I have always done my own research first and then contacted a travel agent to see if they can match it. On both occasions that I've gone to them (different agents, same company) they have come back with a better price than booking through the resort direct.

I can only guess their prices are cheaper because they buy through wholesalers...

For our trip in August Flight Centre was able to save us $800 as opposed to booking through the resort & transfer companies directly.