We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pros and cons please - Coral Coast, Denarau or the Islands?

Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pros and cons please - Coral Coast, Denarau or the Islands?

Hi :) My Mum and I are spending 5 nights in Fiji in mid-June and we're having trouble deciding which area to stay in (let alone which hotel!).

I'd be very grateful to hear people's opinions on the pros and cons of the Coral Coast, Rakiraki, Denarau or the Mamanuca (sp?) Islands. Any tips would be appreciated too!

As far as budget goes, we're certainly not loaded, but we don't want to stay in a dump either lol. At this stage we'd be happy just to decide which area we want to stay in before we tackle the hotel decision. We would also prefer to spend the 5 nights in one hotel rather than changing halfway through the trip.

Thanks in advance!

Edited: 17 January 2011, 10:49
Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pros and cons please - Coral Coast, Denarau or the Islands?

Personally I'd head for an island if it is good beaches you want.

Depending on when you arrive at Nadi airport it may be possible not to spend a night before heading to an island.

And you didn't mention your budget, nor the type of resort big or small for the Mananuca Islands,

One of the quickest to get to is a small resort on Navini Island, one of the DE's Hooked On could help with that, second quickest (via boat) IMO is Malolo Lailai Island where there's 3 resorts, Budget big resort Plantation , (lots of little kids) Musket Cove all ages and lots of activities, and Lomani, very quiet adults only resort Plus private houses to rent.

The other you may like to look at is Mana Island and sure Beerwalk DE for Mana can help with that.

As you have not mentioned your age group, it is a little difficult to advise a good island to stay to cater for what you want.

I can say my Gen Y daughter loves Malolo Lailai too, loves the options on the island and the friendly Fijians at the resorts. Gen Y is well travelled and her favourite place is Fiji, but she's not into partying all night if that's what you may like.

Happy to provide more info on Malolo lailai if you would like it.

There's some good people on this forum with lots of great ideas and sure they will help too.

Edited: 17 January 2011, 12:09
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pros and cons please - Coral Coast, Denarau or the Islands?

Agree with LTB, head for an island. The beaches and water are much better than on the mainland.

My favourite resort in Fiji is Mana Island, of course :)

Mana has beautiful white sand beaches and crystal clear water. Mana has two beaches close to the resort, North and South, both with excellent snorkelling. There is also Sunset Beach but it is a bit of a walk away. It also has two swimming pools, one a horizon pool that looks over North Beach. The other also looks over the ocean and has a pool bar close.

It has two restaurants. One, on the North Beach, which serves buffet and the second is on South Beach which does al a carte. There is also a backpackers down the beach where you can get cheap meals and snacks from.

There are various types of accommodation available. Have a look at their website to see photos of them:

http://www.manafiji.com/

Nola :)

Hervey Bay...
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pros and cons please - Coral Coast, Denarau or the Islands?

I agree with above posters.

If you are wanting more of an adventure holiday, or sightseeing holiday, then the mainland might be a better option.

If you wish to relax and unwind on beautiful beaches wihtout a care in the world...then I would head to an island.

Have you thought of doing a cruise and taking in more of the scenery? Have a look here for another option:

www.captaincook.com.au/home.asp…

Im not sure your days for arrival or if this would fit your itinary....

We are going to do the 4 day cruise in May. Cant wait!!

Maree :D

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,309 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pros and cons please - Coral Coast, Denarau or the Islands?

We too prefer the islands. They have a more Fijian feel, are more laid back, and the beaches and snorkeling are fantastic.

We spent three days at Denarua after an island stay. It was about two days too long for us. That said, you can take day tours to the islands to experience soft, white sand beaches, clear blue water, great snorkeling, and visit the other resorts at Denarau. There is also a choice of restaurants.

The Coral Coast offers a wide range of accommodations and activities.The beaches and water are better than Denarau, but not as good as the islands.

The following link by the birchadventure, has information on what do and see on the Coral Coast.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294331-i883-k3378…

Before deciding which area we want to stay in, we make a list must "haves" in a resort, realizing no resort will have them all. Do you want a large, or small, choice of restaurants, family resort or one that caters to adults, shopping, hiking, pool, snorkeling, meals plans, or meals included, diving, etc.?

Hope this helps and hasn't confused you more.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,588 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pros and cons please - Coral Coast, Denarau or the Islands?

Have a look at Matamanoa. The newly refurbished garden bures might suit. and are competitively priced, lovely little island. Navini is more pricey but really lovely. Musket Cove is another worth consideration. They all have web sites with the prices. Another worth a mention is Viwa. This is a really lovely resort with excellent food and location with th most beautiful white sand beach and lagoon. They often have some good specials on offer through the website.

Edited: 18 January 2011, 05:28
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Denarau Island
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pros and cons please - Coral Coast, Denarau or the Islands?

I'd say go for an island if you can afford it with both money AND time-as you only have 5 days you dont want to go somewhere that needs overnight stays in Nadi or a long boat trip.

Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Pros and cons please - Coral Coast, Denarau or the Islands?

Thanks everyone! You've given me a lot to think about. Will try all of the places you suggested.

We've just received an excellent quote for a 2 bedroom garden villa at the First Landing Resort so we've added that to our list of possiblities.

Thanks again!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pros and cons please - Coral Coast, Denarau or the Islands?

Denearu is not the real Fiji .. If staying there you will not see the real Fiji .. Castaway island would be my pick .. First landing resort would be ok for night or two but you do need to go to island we have been to Fiji 3 times about to go on our fourth .. I often laugh when people say they are going to Fiji and staying at denenaru island .. They may as well not go! Denenaru is not an island just a bridge over a creek

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pros and cons please - Coral Coast, Denarau or the Islands?

Denearu is not the real Fiji .. If staying there you will not see the real Fiji .. Castaway island would be my pick .. First landing resort would be ok for night or two but you do need to go to island we have been to Fiji 3 times about to go on our fourth .. I often laugh when people say they are going to Fiji and staying at denenaru island .. They may as well not go! Denenaru is not an island just a bridge over a creek

Victoria
Level Contributor
302 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pros and cons please - Coral Coast, Denarau or the Islands?

Denerau = grey sand, murky water and large, modern glitzy hotels. As the others have said, head to an island as you will see the sort of blue water and white sandy beaches you'd expect to see in Fiji.

Unless you are a real "Go, go, go" sort of person I don't think you'd get bored at any of the above mentioned island resorts - walks on the beach, snorkeling, swimming. fishing, visits to villages etc. And of course just chillaxing which is what Fiji is renowned for. :-)

The closer of the Mamanuca islands mentioned above are only an hour or so by boat (if you use the Malolo Cat, which is the "bus" of the Mamanucas)