We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

er - bit of everything?!

London, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
er - bit of everything?!

Have been looking at Philippines but have got fed up reading so much info and conflicting info and then worrying out malaria particularly with a 3 year old. Would love round the South Pacific but obviously flights are veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery long for and with a 3 yr old!! Am I right in thinking that Fiji is the shortest?

I know nothing about Fiji though! Have just randomly picked it as possible! So apologies for asking questions which have probably already been answered but just to get me started as to whether this is a possible answers would be very gratefully received please!

1) Suitable for couple with 3 year old?

2) Any jabs needed?

3) Middle of the road accomodation, nothing fancy but the usual mod cons!

4) Weather end Feb/March

5) Do you hop islands if going for 3 - 4 weeks?

6) What's the likely/rough cost of that???

7)Package or independent better?

Many many thanks for any answers!!

Cheers!

Helen

Tuncurry, Australia
Level Contributor
738 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: er - bit of everything?!

Bula Helen

1) Suitable for couple with 3 year old? ------Yes

2) Any jabs needed? ---------No

3) Middle of the road accommodation, nothing fancy but the usual mod cons! ---Everything from 5 stars to backpacker

4) Weather end Feb/March ----- getting towards the end of the wet season so will rain

5) Do you hop islands if going for 3 - 4 weeks? ------Yes

6) What's the likely/rough cost of that??? ---- depends on Accommodation from around $100 a night to thousands

7)Package or independent better?---- combination of both

Fiji has something for everyone it all depends on what you want out of your holiday and what you are willing to pay the islands have better beaches than the mainland

Dave

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: er - bit of everything?!

Suggest you have a look at a few resorts that have what you are looking for, read the reviews here on Tripadvisor, then come back and post any questions you may have.

Also I first took my son over when he was 2 1/2 and he had a ball. Fiji is the best destination for kids.

Nola :)

Edited: 25 January 2011, 22:29
sydney
Level Contributor
430 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: er - bit of everything?!

Just keep in perspective that Fiji is not Asia, in terms of budget accom & food and resort packed beaches. You will find Fiji more expensive (start at about A $100 a night as Daveis said, but comfortable island bungalows could be $300 up and out of sight). Also a lot of resorts are isolated or there are no other eating options nearby (hence price monopolies).

Also consult a good guide book and get familiar with diff areas (and times and costs to get around), a lot of people go via travel agents and end up at Denarau in "5 star" packages. Denarau is a man made "island" (reclaimed swamp) with grey mud beaches and covered in resorts a lot of people see as not very Fijian.

For 3-4 weeks you can split your trip main island and nearby islands, Manamuca group and Yasawa group (there are others that are harder and pricier to get to if you want) where there are a range of resorts from upmarket to more rudimentary backpacker ones (and all in between). They all have websites for research.

For the mainland the southern coast, the Coral Coast, has a range of resorts from big family ones (Outrigger, Naviti, Wawrick, Shangrila) smaller family ones (like Hideaway), smaller budget ones (like Bedarra), homestays (eg Danny's) and rental properties that can be very economic. There are lots of activities to do there (see Top Questions about Fiji, Coral Coast). However the beaches and snorkelling are nothing compared to the islands.

For family/ reasonably priced islands close to the coast & Nadi you have big resorts (eg.Plantation, Mana, Amanuca) small islands (eg Navini, Treasure, Castaway). In the Yasawas there are lots of small resorts, many rustic, the best with kids would be Octopus, Blue Lagoon Resort, Botaira. Note that the only real way to get to them (besides $XXXy seaplane) is the catamaran the Yasawa flyer with a once a day run, and the trip will vary 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours depending on island). All these places have websites and costs.

You can get good packages for the more commercial properties (eg pay 5 get 7, meal deals etc) with online sites and travel agents, you can also try direct with places.

Fiji is a wonderful family destination, no hassling like Asia, warm friendly locals, the snorkelling and beaches are magic, it is a laid back destination with plenty of "Fiji time" to slow things down. We took the kids last Sept for the first time and they can't wait to get back!

London, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: er - bit of everything?!

Thank you do much for such full answers to everything. Really want to go now but fear out of the price range!

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: er - bit of everything?!

There are some places that have accommodation specials during off peak times, and if you do some research and get back to us, we can probably give you some feedback.

It is a very family friendly country, and the Fijians are gentle, relaxed and are wonderful with children.

Cheaper places to stay, mainland First Landing Resort, Hideway Resort, on the islands, Plantation Resort, Mana Resort, and many of the islands in the Yasawas are not expensive.

happy planning

London, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: er - bit of everything?!

oh stop making it so difficult to say no!!! lol! I wanna go!

Flights are not cheap though are they!

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: er - bit of everything?!

That's something you'd have to check.

Air Pacific fly from Hong Kong to Nadi.

But it maybe cheaper to fly to New Zealand and then fly to Fiji.

But why don't you post a topic on that if you are really interested?

Edited: 26 January 2011, 09:40
London, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: er - bit of everything?!

Have only just started to look! Going to look at the places recommended above then come back and ask some more!!! Thanks

Does anyone have some links tf for the places recommended above?

Cheers

London, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: er - bit of everything?!

and I picked Fiji 'cos it was 12 1/2 hours flight - any longer I think might be a nightmare with a 3 year old! So would consider any of the South Pacific but flight times have stopped that.

I just wanna go on holiday and we've spent hours and hours looking, too much info on everything or conflicting - this looks easier and a good forum where you get clear answers thanks!

Wet season - so ho much rain could we expect in March - would we better going in April?

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: er - bit of everything?!

Weather wise, I'd advise end of April, as March is the end of the rainy season and unfortunately it is still cyclone season. Last year there was a cyclone in March, but April is usually ok.

I went last year in late April and we had a couple of nights rain, but it was still hot and sunny during the day, anyway it's still very warm even if it rains.

This year Easter isn't till late April, so could be higher prices over that period and school holidays here in Queensland, Aust from 16 to 26 April Fiji is popular with Australian and NZ families during the break.

So I'd factor this in also.

Edited: 26 January 2011, 10:26