We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling in cyclone season

Perth, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
travelling in cyclone season

Hi,

We are travelling to fiji at the begining of april for our honeymoon. I have since realised it is cyclone season (yes i should have researched this beforehand i know!)

I am extremely worried about going now, especially with all the earthquakes happening at the moment.

Would like peoples advise who have been to fiji in april, what it is like?

thanks

Tuncurry, Australia
Level Contributor
738 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling in cyclone season

Bula bel84

I think the end of March and the begging of April is the best time to visit Fiji and the rest of the Pacific. April is the end of the wet season so if there is a cyclone it would be very late in the season, it may rain but that is usually late in the afternoon when you get a tropical downpour that lasts for a short time then the sun comes out again so relax and enjoy your honeymoon. I am that confident that it is a good time to travel the Pacific that we are leaving for Samoa tonight and this is our 7 trip at this time of the year and we have never had a problem

Dave

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling in cyclone season

I've been to Fiji in late April and the weather has been lovely, not as hot and humid as mid summer. On the issue of cyclones, historically there have been cyclones late March and very early April.

However, I wouldn't be too concerned, there may be no more this year.

Just go and don't worry about what may or may not happen with the weather.

Have a wonderful honeymoon.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling in cyclone season

I have been to both the islands and the mainland in late March and have always had great weather.

Nola :)

Perth, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling in cyclone season

Thanks everyone for your replies. I feel a bit more at ease about going now!

Much appreciated

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,024 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling in cyclone season

End of March is the end of the cyclone season. You would be very unlucky to get a cyclone that late. Still there could be rainy days an it will still be a bit humid but nowhere near as hot and humid as Dec. to March. Personally my favorite months in Fiji are May and October, still quite warm and the water too still warmish making for pleasant swimming. Re earthquakes they can happen anywhere anytime there is a warning system in place in the Pacific for Tsunami's so there is time to be evacuated to higher ground.

Just stop worrying and go and have a wonderful holiday.

Barb

Perth, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travelling in cyclone season

Thanks for your response.

I am definatly feeling alot better regarding cyclone season. As for earthquakes and tsunamis, im still a little concerned, but we are still going to go, and enjoy our honeymoon :)

thanks

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travelling in cyclone season

We've never felt any earthquakes in Fiji on many trips.

I certainly have in Vanuatu during numerous trips in the last 20 years.

Nothing new for them there. Don't worry about media reports about Vanuatu.

You'll have a wonderful time in Fiji, and agree totally with "Hooked On Fiji"

It seems everyone has last minute worries before a wedding. All will work out well, and enjoy your honeymoon. :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travelling in cyclone season

Hi,

Dont worry!!!! Fiji's wet season is from November to March.. so April will be a nice time to go to Fiji.. I am sure you will have a lovely break!!

Enjoy!!

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,024 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travelling in cyclone season

Your trip must be close now. Have a wonderful time and forget all the worries of the world. Let us know all about it when you get back.

Barb

10. Re: travelling in cyclone season

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 17:19