We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better to carry cash ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Topic
Better to carry cash ?

Hello TA friends,

My friend and his wife will be on holidays in Fiji for a week.

They are visiting Fiji just to relax and may be couple of day trips...won't be doing any fancy/expensive tour. We heard food is relatively reasonable in the resort which they have booked (Bedarra Beach Inn.) We also heard some surcharge issues on using credit cards.

Considering these facts how much AUD or FJD should they take with them? I know it varies but just wanted to get some idea here.

Thanks in advance

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better to carry cash ?

I think that's a really hard question to answer without knowing the costs of the food at the resort and how much they want to spend on other items...drinks, souvenirs, etc.

I would highly suggest insuring that you have some cash on you to cover items at all times (even if you get it once you're there). The one thing we ran into is that a lot of locations (including some stores at the airport) use a dial up connection for running your card...so if it looses it at some point your card won't go through. We noticed a lot of others having this same issue. We just went to ATMs throughout our trip and carried cash, but our bank doesn't charge a high fee.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better to carry cash ?

I never carry a lot of cash with me when I travel to Fiji. The most I take is $500FJD. I usually charge everthing to my room and pay by credit card at the end of my stay. Even if they do charge a fee it is only ever around 1% which means on a bill on $1000FJD it is only $10.00FJD. Even less if you do the exchange rate. Last time we travelled to Fiji I only paid about $25 in fees total and this included the banks international fees.

For me I would rather pay a fee on my card rather than have large amounts of cash on me or in my room.

Nola :)

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better to carry cash ?

I agree with beerwalk.

I usualy take a little cash.....for incidentals in the first day etc. The rest of my time I book everything to my room, and always have a credit/debit card for the atm if I need extra cash. That way I can control how much is being spent......well i like to think i do!...lol ;)

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Better to carry cash ?

Agree with Nola, we charge most things to our room. Do take some Fijian dollars for purchasing souvenirs at a village, taxi tabs, etc. We have bought souvenirs at a resort, then found we could have bought the same items cheaper at the airport in Nadi while waiting for our flight home.

Also some resorts in Fiji do not have ATM machines. Your friends might want to check with Bedarra Inn to see if they have ATM's. Keep in mind ATM machine charges at resorts can be much more expensive than those at the airport in Nadi or on the main island.

We always notify our bank when we will be in Fiji and to expect charges to our credit card. This alleviates any problems concerning fraudulent charges on checkout.

Hope this helps.

Your friends could pay in AUD at a resort, but the exchange rate on the island will not be good. Better to pay by credit card or in FD in my opinion.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Better to carry cash ?

Sorry, time ran out to edit. Regarding slow dial up. Only happened to us once out of six trips. It was upsetting, but only took about 10 minutes till the connection was made and our charges went though.

Bathurst, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Viti Levu, Treasure Island, Sonaisali Island, Nadi
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Better to carry cash ?

I usually take cash but i do do a lot of outings and shopping! I also have some aussie and credit cards and eftpos cards just in case! That way i have all bases covered! I usually take a load of cash especially if the rate is good and it is very good at the moment! So for instance i know im going again in 6 months trip is booked i already have some cash got it a couple of weeks ago and will continually watch the rate and buy more over the next few months. That being said when the cash rate is high and a great exchange credit card exchange rates should also be good in fact last year i purchased a few things on credit and the rate was even better then the cash rate! I do charge as much as i can to the room at the resort i stay at that way i just pay most of it on departure!

Edited: 21 April 2011, 05:27
7. Re: Better to carry cash ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 01:18