We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question re clothes

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Question re clothes

Dear all

Soon we will be spending our honeymoon in beautiful Fiji. Now we are wondering which kind of clothes we have to take with us. We are staying at some good resorts and we do not want to be over- or underdressed.

We will be staying at the following resorts:

- Matamanoa Island Resort

- Nanuya Island Resort

- Taveuni Island Resort

- LikuLiku Lagoon Resort

I think Taveuni and LikuLiku might be these two resorts where we should dress up a little bit?

Thank you already in advance for your help and advice. We just really want to make sure that we won't be over- or underdressed :-))))

Looking forward to hearing back from you dear TA friends!

Jessica

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
347 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question re clothes

Congratulations <3

I have not been to any of those resorts, I've only ever stayed at The Shangri La.

As far as I am aware it is pretty casual within resorts, shorts, skirts, maxi dresses, sandals etc...... In saying that though some resorts have "fancier" restaurants where you could wear something a little nicer.

Generally speaking when you visit a town or village it is best to keep your dress modest - no mini skirts, low cut tops, swimwear etc.... We went into Sigatoka town and I wore shorts, a nice top and sandals and the Sigatoka River Safari supply you with a sarong so, I guess that would give you an idea on how much to cover up.

I am sure there will be other TA members who can advise you further. Have a wonderful honeymoon <3

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question re clothes

Bula Jessica

Kel has given you some great advice. As she mentioned dress at resorts in Fiji is casual. Except for village visits as Kel mentioned, cover up :) and take your hat and sunglasses off to show respect.

No dressing up for dinner, especially on island resorts as you mentioned.

Even in June/July it won't be cold if if are coming from Zurich

I love looking at traveller reviews on TA but mostly the pics posted, as these give a good example of how other guests dress, as well as the accommodation, beaches etc of where I choose to stay.

TA Members pictures give me lots of info. Probably more than words at times. I too have never stayed at the resorts you mentioned, only passed via boat to some

Have a wonderful Honeymoon and congratulations

LTB

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
489 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question re clothes

After a day in the water, sun and sand, we kind of liked to dress up a bit for dinner, especially when we were at Qamea. By that we mean a casual sundress or capris for me, and nice shorts and a shirt with a collar (not a T-shirt) for my husband. Don't waste a lot of room in your suitcase for shoes. At all of the resorts we stayed at in Fiji, sandals were left at the door to the restaurants; they were never worn inside. I would recommend just some nice flip-flops, and good shoes for hiking.

Congratulations!

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question re clothes

Dear TA Friends

Thank you very much for all your help - much appreciated!

So glad to hear that we do not need to dress up too much. I was already worried a little to be honest. During summer holidays I prefer casual clothes as I have to wear business clothes during the rest of the year... Bank guidelines :-((((

Can't wait to arrive in Fiji and spend 3 weeks with my husband...!!!!

And thanks for all your wishes!!!!

Take care

Jessica

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question re clothes

Hi Jessica,

Most places in Fiji are fairly casual --- we have stayed at both Nanuya and Likuliku and really we wore the same sort of clothes at both resorts.....probably a bit fancier tops at Likuliku :-)

Take a light cardi / jacket in case you get a cooler evening.

For dinner, I'd usually wear 3/4 pants and a different top with very low heels (there is no use taking any high heels to Fiji IMO). Breakfast and Lunch are more casual.

I am sure that at Nanuya you could go barefoot, but at Likuliku they like you to wear footwear in the restaurant area.

Both of these resorts have great food but Likuliku's win's hands down ~

I'm sure you will have a great Honeymoon with the resorts you have chosen.

Congratulations,

Julie.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,745 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question re clothes

Even at these resorts you do not need to 'dress up'. I'd give shorts a miss of an evening except for the guys but smart casual would be the go, sarong, sundress, skirt and t- shirt or nice top. You can wear a bit of bling if you like.

Matamanoa the same but Nanuya is very low key and you can wear what you like.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
489 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question re clothes

It's really all so relative! My job requires wearing company T-shirts and shorts in the summer; jeans in the winter, so anything above that is dressing up for me! I guess in most people's world, my idea of dressing up, is really casual for everyone else.

Have a wonderful trip.

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question re clothes

hello. this thread has really helped me with the ideas of what to bring. I am going to tell my hubby, he really doesnt need to bring more than a pair of sandals, and perhaps crocs for walking near reefs. ( hopefully only on dead coral) I just want to confirm that when going to villages you do not need to wear long sleeves. A site I looked at talked about the need for women not to show their arms and shoulders. Can you advise on this?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Denarau Island
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question re clothes

When visiting a village you need shoulders & knees (& obviously everything in between! lol!) covered. This applies to both men & women. Also, even if you are wearing knee length shorts, if your knees are exposed when you sit down, thats a no-no, so you probably need to wear 3/4 length crop pants (or stay standing up! )

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question re clothes

thanks 4 that so short sleev s r ok and sarongs would do 2 cover 2 knees but longer pants better great 2 no