We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning last stage of our honeymoon - could use some help!

Amersfoort, The...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Planning last stage of our honeymoon - could use some help!

Dear Fiji experts,

I am currently planning the last details of my honeymoon in October 2011. We are a couple (30 and 32 years years old) from The Netherlands.

We both are quite seasoned travellers, over the past years we have travelled to South-Africa, Thailand, Laos, Hong Kong, Brazil, Indonesia, UAE, some Carribean Islands, the USA, Egypt and most of Europe together.

In October 2011 we will first visit Australia, flying to Sydney.

We will spend approx. 2,5 weeks travelling the South Coast and then fly on to Nadi, Fiji to join a 4 night "Northern Yasawa Island Cruise" (Captian Cook Cruises).

So far for our plans, we have six (6) more nights left to spend on the Fiji Islands and we are desperate for some expert advice on this matter!

Since not that many people from The Netherlands travel to Fiji it proves to be somewhat difficult to get some 'first hand' advice.

What we would like for our last 'stop':

- great addition to our cruise around the Northern Yasawa Islands;

- 4 to 5 * hotel / resort (since it is our honeymoon)

- maximum 'medium' sized hotel / resort

- some Fiji style / feel to the resort's accomodation & grounds

- great food / friendly service

- white sandy beach / clear blue waters for snorkling (we do'nt dive)

- Opportunity to see some more of Fiji's stunning nature (jungle / waterfalls / wildlife / culture) on daytrips

- preferrably 'a good deal' on the price (maximum 300 AUD a night) since this already turns out to be a very costly trip travelling from The Netherlands :-)

Who is so kind to help us out and give us some pointers?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Kind regards

Paul & Linda

The Netherlands

Edited: 15 June 2011, 09:35
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning last stage of our honeymoon - could use some help!

Have a look at Matamanoa or Tokoriki. Both are adults only island resorts that might be what you are looking for.

You will find that most big 5 star resorts are situated in Denarau, but the beaches are not as nice as the islands or Coral Coast.

Nola ;)

Edited: 15 June 2011, 23:43
Amersfoort, The...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning last stage of our honeymoon - could use some help!

Thanks a lot Beerwalk for your advice,

Is it true that those island resorts Tokoriki and Matamanoa are quite far from the big main island?

We would really like to also be able to see some of the nature / jungle on a daytrip etc and as far as I know this is found on the main island?

Since we already will enjoy the four night cruise around the northern Yasawa Islands, staying at an island resort might be 'more of the same'.

We are now looking into the Intercontinental Fiji. The reviews are very good, although it is a large resort and not very Fijian regarding the style.

Once again, thanks a lot for your reply.

Tuncurry, Australia
Level Contributor
738 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning last stage of our honeymoon - could use some help!

Bula pullie

The mainland island of Fiji doesn’t have the post card beaches every one imagines Fiji to be like but there are some very good resorts and hotels I would recommend you have a look at Wananavu resort it is on the nth coast of Viti Levu Fijis main island the north of the island is not as populated as the south so not as many tourist and is more natural and true to the real Fiji not manufactured for tourists

Dave

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning last stage of our honeymoon - could use some help!

If you want to explore the waterfalls and ride horses on the Coral Coast the Intercontinetal probably has the best beach.

I didn't answer your post earlier, as I was looking at your budget of A$300 per night, and feel sure the Intercontinental will cost more than that per night. And yes it is a big resort as you mentioned.

Stay away from Denarau, as there is no crystal clear water there. The beach is very ordinary and murky.

If you want the Coral Coast have a look at de Vos Private Villas, they seem to get good reviews. And in your price range. I've not stayed there so have no first hand experience of the villas.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294336-d148696…

all the very best with your honeymoon planning and sure you'll love the Yasawas, we did!

LTB

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning last stage of our honeymoon - could use some help!

Agree with LTB, if you want to stay on the mainland then the Intercontinetal would be your best choice. Also good advice about staying away from Denarau. You would be dissapointed after the beauty of the Yasawas.

Any yes, it would be difficult to do day trips to the mainland from either Matamanoa or Tokoriki.

Nola ;)

melbourne
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning last stage of our honeymoon - could use some help!

I agree with the Intercontinental as it is magnificent and on clearly the best beach in Viti Levu. However it is a large resort and you will certainly encounter a large amount of families with small children.

My suggestion would be the Bedarra Inn. It is not 5 star but the food and service are exceptional. The rooms are quite spacious and very clean. There wont be many children and it's in a great spot to do tours along the coral coast. The lagoon is suitable for snorkeling but there wont be the abundance of fish and coral you will see while in the Yasawa islands.

Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning last stage of our honeymoon - could use some help!

I would also suggest the Intercontinental at Natadola Beach. If you become an Ambassador member you will be able to obtain a free upgrade from the type of account accommodation you have booked at the resort. Ie: if you book a garden view room you will be upgraded for free to a beachfront room. You can also use this card for the same benefits in Sydney as there is also an Intercontinental Hotel on Sydney Harbour. The views from the harbour view rooms are amazing.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,432 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning last stage of our honeymoon - could use some help!

Have a look at the following link by the Birchadventure, for information on a tour to a village/waterfall on horseback. There are also other suggestions of things to see and do.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294331-i883-k3378…

Some resorts on the Coral Coast offer zip lining and river rafting. As others have said, the resorts tend to be large, and you can expect lots of families with children.

The following link may be of help as it has suggestions of what to take with you when vacationing to Fiji.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294331-c134773/Fiji:…

Hope this helps. You could not have chosen a more romantic destination that Fiji for your honeymoon.

Edited: 18 June 2011, 00:41
Amersfoort, The...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning last stage of our honeymoon - could use some help!

Thanks all! We'll sure have al look at the Intercontinental (all be it al bit large for our taste, but it sure looks very nice) an Vos Private residences.

Outrigger seems to get very good reviews too, but isn't that more for families and without a nice beach?

Overwhelming that you took the trouble to help us out. We can't wait to leave on our honeymoon.

Kind regards,

Paul

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning last stage of our honeymoon - could use some help!

Yes Outrigger is as big resort with lots of families.

have the best honeymoon enjoy LTB