We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We're thinking of extending holiday??? WDYT?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Topic
We're thinking of extending holiday??? WDYT?

We are travelling to Fiji next month with our 2 kids aged 1 and 3 and will be away for 7 days....we arrive at 4:40pm on the first day, then have 5 full days there and depart at 4pm on the last day. We are staying at the Intercontinental (hubby works for them so get cheaper rates). Originally we thought that would be plenty of time because it's not as though we'll be out doing lots of tours with young kids....but as it's getting closer I'm wondering if we should extend? We can get the same flight prices 2 days prior which would give us 7 full days there, just have to pay the fare changing fee.

Having not been to Fiji before or travelled with young kids I'm not too sure. What do you think? If we did extend would you recommend staying somewhere else for the other 2 days? After a full day travelling I wouldn't want to have to travel too far.

My kids are quite clingy too so I don't think we'll be making use of the babysittting that everybody raves about....I think we'll just have to come again when the kids are older!

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Westerzaif Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Nautilus Adventure Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Day Trips
Feejee Experience
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Multi-day Tours
Australia
Level Contributor
817 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We're thinking of extending holiday??? WDYT?

I think you should extend. The trip is long with kids, and it will take a day or so for you to settle in. So you probably wont start enjoying yourselves for a few days. Stay in the one place and just make it a longer stay. We have travelled to Fiji many times with our kids and find it much easier just to plonk ourselves in one spot, unpack properly and enjoy what that one place has to offer. You may find that your kids will take to the Fijians. Our little one had never left our side until our first Fijian holiday with him and he loved them. The Fijians are wonderful with children.

I hope you enjoy your holiday.

Tracy

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Denarau Island
Level Contributor
2,131 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We're thinking of extending holiday??? WDYT?

Hey, if you can afford the time and the money you would be mad not to spend extra time there!

Obviously you could spend a bit more time at The Intercontinental, & with young kids that would be my first choice, but if you are looking at somewhere else for a couple of days you want to be only a very short trip from Nadi Airport.

Any of the resorts on Denarau would be good for you, they are all very child friendly & whilst you will not get the "real" Fiji, they are all great for a relaxing couple of days. Denarau is about 20 minutes from the Airport.

Another option would be First Landing resort, which is about 30 minutes from the Airport. It is a much quieter resort than any on Denarau.

There are other places along the Coral Coast that might be nice, but I'm keeping in mind that you dont want to be dragging tired babies too far on the first day.

Hope this helps

Mentioned in this post
Nadi
Nadi
Viti Levu, Fiji
Denarau Beach
Denarau Beach
296 Reviews
Viti Levu, Fiji
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Coral Coast
Coral Coast
Viti Levu, Fiji
Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,729 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We're thinking of extending holiday??? WDYT?

Agree with the other posters. Extend your stay, if you can. Would stay at one resort, so your children won't have to adjust to new surroundings. Don't think it would be worth the hassle of packing, unpacking, and time for two days.

As this is your first trip to Fiji, the following link may be of interest. Has suggestions of what to take with you.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294331-c134773/Fiji:…

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: We're thinking of extending holiday??? WDYT?

Thanks everyone, I think we are sold! Luckily we can extend our time at the Intercontinental so I think you are right, it'll be easier to just stay put.

Can't wait to go!

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,620 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We're thinking of extending holiday??? WDYT?

A holiday in Fiji is never long enough so extend. Make the most of it if you can.

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
6. Re: We're thinking of extending holiday??? WDYT?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 01:20