We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage allowance

Hudson, Ohio
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Baggage allowance

My fiance finally let me in on part of the surprise and told me that we are going on an 18 day honeymoon -- 10 days in Fiji, 5 days in Sidney, Australia, and 3 travel days. I am so excited but am concerned about the baggage allowance on the flight. My fiance will not disclose what airline we are flying on although he does have miles with Continental and its partners, but I was wondering how strict the Intra-Fiji flights are with their baggage restrictions.

He did reveal that we are each allowed a suitcase weighing 50 pounds and a 15 pound carry-on. Usually I pack that much for a 7-10 day vacation! Do they truly weigh your carry-on? My carry-on suitcase alone without anything in it weighs 7 pounds! Plus I would need to carry a purse as well. You can go over the weight limit, but it costs $5 per kg. I don't mind paying a bit extra if needed, but I was just wondering what experience everyone has had with this and how strict they actually are. Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Seaford Rise...
Level Contributor
132 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage allowance

Most airlines are strict with their luggage allowance now, but remember in Fiji, you won't need any heavy clothing, and you can wash at most hotels or resorts in Fiji (take some pegs with you) I pop anything really heavy in my oversized hand bag, whilst it is xrayed, it is not weighed. (like the hair straightner, not that you need it in fiji.)

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,642 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage allowance

Most airlines are pretty strict with the baggage allowance and they charge a hefty fee for overweight baggage. If you are travelling in the summer months for Australia you won't need heavy clothes their either. Five days in Sydney so you won't need a lot. We rarely take more then 15kgs for a 2 week plus holiday in Fiji each. Handbags are not weighed but don't take a big one if you have a carry on bag as they may weight it . Travel light, depending where you are going most resorts supply shampoo and conditioner. Remember if you are flying from Sydney to Fiji or out of Fiji you can not carry liquids in your hand luggage other than 10 x100ml bottles in a separate small plastic zip to bag about the size of a sandwich bag. They confiscate anything that does not comply. You will have an amazing honeymoon I am sure, lucky girl.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,734 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage allowance

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon.

We have flown from LAX to Nadi several times with Air Pacific and Continental. Baggage limits on flights to the outer islands are strictly adhered to. The weight is in kilograms, so do the conversion to pounds. Suggest you contact the airlines for their baggage allowances and prices should you be over weight.

Planes to the outer islands are small and carry about 16 people. We were charged extra for being over weight. You are allowed a carryon bag or laptop, and purse.You should also know you will also be weighed with your carryon bags at the airport in Nadi before boarding the plane to the outer islands. If the flight is full, there is a chance all your luggage will not make the flight with you. Happened to us twice out of four flights we took from Nadi to Taveuni. It was no big deal as we packed our swimsuits and a change of clothes in our carryon bags. The rest of our luggage arrived on a later flight the same day.

Have a look at the following link. Has suggestions of what to take with you when vacationing to Fiji. Hope it helps.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294331-c134773/Fiji:…

Mentioned in this post
Nadi
Nadi
Viti Levu, Fiji
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Hudson, Ohio
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage allowance

I appreciate all of your responses. Our honeymoon is at the end of August when it will be cooler in Australia - mid-60's from what I have read- so I will have to pack a jacket and some pants which will take up more room than just beach clothes. I just wish sunscreen didn't weigh so much! I feel better now knowing that they allow a purse (within reasonable size) in addition to the 15 pound carry-on bag if I am interpreting your responses correctly.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,235 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baggage allowance

Nikki

Just make sure that purse (handbag) is a reasonable size. And don't forget what E&CReno told you - if you go on a small plane to an island you will be weighed along with your purse, carry-on and all other baggage. It's a matter of safety!

You can always top up on a few warmer clothes when you get to Sydney. By then you won't need your sunscreen!

Have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,642 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baggage allowance

You can purchase sunscreen in Fiji to save a bit of weight. Might need to show your fiance' these emails so he can at least advise you on what weight you will need to look at especially if there is an internal flight involved.

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Tuncurry, Australia
Level Contributor
738 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baggage allowance

Bula

You don’t need much in the line of cloths in Fiji mainly swimmers and light dress and tops and shorts and lots of sun screen. Sydney can be quiet windy at the end of August with cold nights and warm days so packing will be more of a challenge pack something to keep out the wind and some more appropriate cloths for visiting the clubs and restaurants in Sydney. I would pack our clothes for Sydney in one bag and our clothes for Fiji in another that way if you are overweight you may be able to store the Sydney bag at the airport in Nadi until you return

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Sydney
Sydney
Nadi
Nadi
Viti Levu, Fiji
Sydney
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Baggage allowance

The baggage rules of Air Pacific are appalling. Surfboards and golf clubs are charged at $50.00 a piece even if you are underweight. This means an extra $200 for couple going on a golfing holiday . Use another airline.

Tuncurry, Australia
Level Contributor
738 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baggage allowance

bula Trefor D

welcome to TripAdvisor Fiji forum.

All air lines are going to charge extra for golf clubs and surf boards as they are classed as over size items, so you may have to shop around and find out if virgin are any cheaper

Dave

Edited: 23 June 2012, 02:20
Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
10. Re: Baggage allowance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2013, 05:16