We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are we crazy to travel to Fiji with a 3 month old baby?

Sydney
3 posts
Save Topic
Are we crazy to travel to Fiji with a 3 month old baby?

Is 3 months too young to travel to Fiji from Australia? We are very keen to escape Sydney winter and we have a 3 month old and a 2 year old. Does anyone have any experience travelling with such a young baby?

Thanks in advance : )

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are we crazy to travel to Fiji with a 3 month old baby?

Yes, not because of the baby but because of Fiji. You have such a beautiful conuntry (just went to Sydney, Melbourne, Gold Coast and others recently, fantastic!!!), why you go to such a sub-standard one? Fiji is a disaster comapred to good places in South East Asia (just to give you some fine examples: Bali, Hoi An in Vietnam, Boracai, plus hundreds of places in Thailand). This year I have been to the Philippines for the first time...I was never interested...but wow: cool and relaxed people, what a beach, clean, like on promotional pictures, good atmosphere, something for everybody...and good prices ;).

In comparison to these, in Fiji food is not good (mostly chicken with something...and that being on islands!!!), prices are too high, service is unfriendly (seems friendly but only on the service), service is bad (and here I do not mean relaxed-holiday-like service), not much to see instead of ...yes: the overpriced islands and many other annoyances. In Southeast Asia you get much more for your money.

I was so eager to go to the South Pacific this year cause I saw all these nice BBC documentaries and others...and was so disappointed and then seeing my hard earned bucks disappear...annoying. I will never go there again...whatever money you offer me.

My girlfriend and I nearly got stuck for one week since Pacific Airlines had no clue about visa regulations in Hong Kong (my connecting flight), i.e. there is no visa required for me as a German (who has been to HKG many times), but they did not let me board and the next free flight would have been one week later.

I am not from Asia but from Germany, so no 'patriotic' feelings here.

Please believe me, if you have never been to the tropics, it may feel great, but if you are looking at value for money...have a look at other places.

have good holidays,

Markus

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
750 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are we crazy to travel to Fiji with a 3 month old baby?

RaquelSydney - Oh you should go to Fiji, the Fijians love children, especially babies. The flight time is only 3.5 hours from Sydney and quite managable with young kids. We first went to Fiji when our son was 2.5 years old and he had a ball!!! (that was 2 years ago and we are about to go back for our 5th time)

So far we have only stayed on the mainland, at Shangri La (x 3) and Outrigger (x1). Both were very child friendly however with kids your age I would recommend Outrigger as they have a Mei Mei nanny service for kids under 4 - the Nannies are lovely and there is even a nursery room for the little ones to sleep during the day.

I am hoping that some of the other TA regulars will pass on some more positive advice about Fiji!

Australia
Level Contributor
817 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are we crazy to travel to Fiji with a 3 month old baby?

Hi

I have travelled to Fiji with a young baby and toddler. I think it is fine if you are breastfeeding but wouldn't go if I had to worry about sterilising bottles and take formula etc as it would be too much of a hassle. I also wouldn't go when the weather is extremely hot ie December/January/Feb. The humidity can be unbearable and not enjoyable for parent or baby whilst nursing etc. The Fijians are wonderful with children and Fiji is a very family oriented place to holiday. It is also a fairly short flight from Sydney so that also make it attractive. I would sooner take my kids for a holiday to Fiji than Asia as it is closer to home if you need to get home in a hurry, very safe and beautiful beaches and people.

Tracy

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,757 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are we crazy to travel to Fiji with a 3 month old baby?

No problem. September/ October is a wonderful time to travel to Fiji and something to look forward to at the end of winter. I would go to a smaller rather than a larger resort. Have a look at Malolo, very nice and clean with helpful staff. I am sure you won't have a problem.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are we crazy to travel to Fiji with a 3 month old baby?

I think anyone is mad to travel with young children under 4. Between nappies, sleeps, keeping track of them and all the luggage you have to haul around.......... Go to Qld if you want to get warm. You won't need to worry about passports, customs etc. You can still use your Medicare card at the local hospital or doctor if you need to and shop at supermarkets that stock what you want to buy.

But then again - some people are prepared to suffer the punishment just to get to Fiji as it is such a wonderful place. Personally, I wouldn't do it but I like my holidays to be easy & relaxed.

Australia
Level Contributor
610 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are we crazy to travel to Fiji with a 3 month old baby?

We have successfully travelled to Fiji with two young children. It is no hassle if you are prepared and well researched.

As much as I enjoy holidaying in QLD, I find this very difficult to do with children. Not only is most accommodation high rise buildings ( added worry about kids getting access to balcony and falling over!) such as in the Gold Coast, but you have to struggle to find kid-friendly restaurants ( what Aussie staff are going to come and pick up and play with your child while you eat!), or not being able to swim due to stingers ( Hamilton Island). Plus most Aussie staff are young, and honestly, just slap down a meal in front of you. (QLD islands).

We find it so easy to travel to Fiji with the kids, they enjoy a 4 hour plane ride, instead of a 8 hour car trip, and they LOVE the Fijian people. Can't say my kids can have crab races or attend a kids club built up into a tree anywhere in QLD!

If you are an organized person, you will all have a wonderful time!

Enjoy!

Sydney
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are we crazy to travel to Fiji with a 3 month old baby?

I agree with Tez823. We travelled to Fiji for the first time with kids when they were 5, 7 and 10 and found this a good age. Recently came back from Malolo Island where we travelled without children and watched parents pacing the beachfront at all hours with crying babies in prams and trying to explain intricate requirements for a variety of steamed, mashed and pureed food to the Fijian staff. Many of the families I'm sure had a great time but it would not be my personal preference to spend that amount of money when my kids were so young. However, I'm sure if you are super organised and don't mind a few challenges you could still have a great time as the Fijians do love children.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are we crazy to travel to Fiji with a 3 month old baby?

Would I take a 3month and a 2 year old to Fiji?

I had a good think about that - thinking about when my children were babies

A 2 year old yes. Umm a 3 month old???

I've seen many on plane trips with tiny babies aboard. You'd need to breastfeed/bottle feed on the ascent and descent, as the air pressure can affect their ears.

Even though we are Queenslanders, we lived in Victoria for 7 years when our children were young. We regularly came back " home" visiting via plane

A number of times our son had ear problems on the plane trips, but our daughter was fine. Must say they still love visiting Fiji and many other countries They got the travel bug early :)

Guess it depends on your child/children really.

You are the best judge of that Racquelsydney. Make a choice on your own gut feeling of your children.

PS I certainly don't agree with response No. 1 - pity they didn't get some advice from us regulars or DE's for Fiji before they visited. They would have received some good advice where to visit for a much better experience!

I hope all turns out well and have a great holiday where ever you go

LTB

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
94 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are we crazy to travel to Fiji with a 3 month old baby?

We went to Fiji for the first time when my sons were 6 months and 2 years. No problems at all. And have had an island holiday every year since. The youngest is now 6. I would do it all over again, we got a babysitter every night so that we could go out and eat. He was still fully breast fed then which did make things easier. Often at breakfast I would never see him bc he would be carried around by someone! We did stay in the mainland though as I didn't want the hassle of transfers etc, but seriously never regretted it for a minute!

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are we crazy to travel to Fiji with a 3 month old baby?

I meant to comment on the first response from Markus also LTB.

Markus - it may shock you to know that some people actually travel to experience other cultures and lifestyles - not just get "bang for their buck" and be pampered in luxurious resorts.

I think Fiji appeals to so many particularly Aussies & Kiwis because we LIKE that laid back lifestyle & attitude. It's what we TRY to achieve at home and are guaranteed when we go somewhere like the Pacific Islands (not the French ones though) Sure - we could just as easily holiday in overun Asian locations - and many do and love it, however, those that choose an Island destination do so because they are SEEKING a more peaceful option to truly relax & unwind. It's unfortunate you were unable to enjoy your time there but making post like you have is not really helpful to those travellers who DO want to experience this wonderful part of the world.

Posters like this OP are genuinely seeking information and doing research BEFORE they go so as to make the most of their experience when they get there. Maybe you should have done this too??