We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family resort wanted for family with 4 kids

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Family resort wanted for family with 4 kids

Hi all,

We are a family of 6, 4 kids aged (next year) 12,12,14 and 15. We are looking to do a once-a-decade holiday to a pacific island for 7 nights in September holidays 2012. We are looking at Fiji or Vanuatu (due to cheaper airfares from Brisbane) at this stage.

Can anyone recommend any resorts with 3-bedroom accommodation? Or interconnecting rooms? We want somewhere safe, where the kids can roam around a little and do activities daily. The parents are looking for somewhere where we get the choice to do something or nothing each day, with the focus likely to be relaxing around the pool!

We would prefer 3-bedroom accommodation, but by the looks of things, its pretty unusual. We are frantically saving and would hope to have AUD1000 per night for accommodation including meals (for 6) to spend. Any ideas? Just as usefully, any places to avoid?

cheers

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family resort wanted for family with 4 kids

3 bedroom accommodation in a resort setting is pretty much unheard of in Fiji. If you wanted to stay out of a resort in a self-contained holiday home there are quite a lot to choose from on the Coral Coast and Malolo Lalai island. See travelmaxia.com for listings.

In a resort - you will have to get adjoining rooms or 2 bedroom with some beds in the living area maybe??? See this recent thread for some options: tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g294331-i883-k4…

As for recommendations for a once in a decade holiday - if your budget allows - get out on an island. Plantation is a budget family resort, Mana, Treasure & Amunuca are mid-range. Treasure has "island bures" which are 4 steps further from the ocean than the beachfront bures, in double duplex configuration - so you could get up to 4 adjoining rooms and have one bure all to yourselves or the Oceanview bures (2 steps closer to ocean) are duplex and would sleep 6 easily. Some of the Yasawa resorts even offer dorms that would sleep all of you quite economically if that appeals???

If the budget doesn't stretch to that - start with Coral Coast resorts like Hideaway, ShangriLa or Warwick/Naviti. Any of the Fijian resorts would be safe for you and your family.

I would contact the resorts direct for pricing to compare with any offers from travel agents however we have found travelonline.com very competitive and comprehensive in their pricing options (e.g. - no unpleasant surprises when you reach your destination!)

Ocean Grove...
Level Contributor
369 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family resort wanted for family with 4 kids

Hello, I am a family of five so have looked into some similar accommodation.

On an island you could look at Malolo island resort, in its family bures, they sleep 7. Or Castaway island in its family beach bure.

On the mainland at Denarau you could look at Sheraton Villas, they have 3 bedroom villas. There may be more options on Denarau also, not sure.

On the Coral Coast of the mainland you could try the Intercontinental, they have connecting rooms which would be very large, or the Outrigger has interconnecting rooms, or very large "family" bures.

Its fairly easy (but not cheap) to find resorts with interconnecting rooms, but not so much 3 bedrooms.

Good luck with the planning, my advice is to be fairly hasty with it though as things will get booked out very quickly by next September, you will be suprised.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
96 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family resort wanted for family with 4 kids

with vanuatu, i have stayed at poppys on the lagoon and their front rooms, only 2, have 3 bedrooms, 1 downstairs and 2 upstairs and a very roomy big apartment, self contained, lovely place, very safe

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family resort wanted for family with 4 kids

The Reef House or The Beach House on Malolo Lailai Island would both accommodate your family. They are both located on the water, and you can use all the facilities at Musket Cove Island Resort.

The Reef House has it's own website, and the Beach House and other holiday houses are located on the Musket Cove website with prices.

http://www.musketcovefiji.com/private-villas

Great as you can have the best of both worlds, self catering or use the resort restaurants. The Trader store at Musket Marina has a good variety of food to purchase including fresh BBQ packs.

enjoy the planning LTB

Maroochydore Qld...
Level Contributor
277 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family resort wanted for family with 4 kids

Hi Skipcaptain, we are a family of 5 with kids 11, 11 and 13 (next year) and have been to both Vanuatu and Fiji and we have just rebooked the Reef house in Fiji that LTB mentioned for 2 weeks next September in the Qld school holidays.

Our family loves the island as it is large enough to have your own space, there are a couple of mini supermarkets which is great for self catering, there are a choice of restaurants and when you rent one of the houses you can use all the resort facilities. For F$35 per adult for a week you can use all the non motorised ocean toys and can do the 2 snorkelling trips per day which are great. Our kids felt very safe and our son would ride his bike (supplied at the house) down to buy bread and milk from the marina which was about 5 minutes ride.

Steely

Echuca, Australia
Level Contributor
744 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family resort wanted for family with 4 kids

Hi

I know when we were at Amunuca in January we met some people who had the family room & said it was great & very roomy & I think could sleep 8 people (4BR). They loved having all the room for their suitcases. I would highly recommend Amunuca. Do lots or do nothing! Friendly staff etc......meals were huge & you can do a meal plan when you get to the island.

I'm more than happy to answer any more questions you may have about Amunuca.

Been to Vanuata too - wherever you go you will be sure to enjoy, so will your kids!

Cheers.

Huskisson, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Family resort wanted for family with 4 kids

I can definately recommend Treasure Island, there were Bures with adjoining rooms, hammocks right outside your doorstep and then another few steps, the beach. Great snorkelling, banana boat rides, fantasic pool, staff, food!

sydney, australia
Level Contributor
301 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family resort wanted for family with 4 kids

Dont get sucked in by island bures at treasure they are just as close to the beach as beachfront bures. Treasure will accomodate 4 in a room and then you can have the other room to yourselves. Amanucas bigger rooms were nice but the resort isnt as well run.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family resort wanted for family with 4 kids

My husband and I have just returned from a week at Iririki Resort. Port Vila. They have family unit style self catering accommodation right near huge pool, games area, tennis courts and restaurant. While we stayed in a garden fare,we ate mainly at resort. Eating out in Venuatu is quite expensive, similar to Aust. They do not have McDonalds or similar fast food outlets (hooray), but fruit and veg from local market is quite cheap and meat etc. from supermarkets would be a cheaper option. We though it was quite an expensive holiday destination compared to Asian countries, but very beautiful. All very tourist orientated so be prepared to part with money. Check out the travel forums if you decide to go to Venuatu. Monty10

sydney, australia
Level Contributor
301 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family resort wanted for family with 4 kids

plantation island fiji? irriki resort just that...save up a liitle more andgo to fiji with kids much better. i wasnt interested in fiji and went once and am a convert. better than vanuatu i have been to both and stayed at irriki

mana island had some good specials