We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Came home yesterday.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,329 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Came home yesterday.

Just spent 13 fantastic nights at Navini Island Resort. If possible it was better than ever, Amazing Christmas dinner and New Years Eve was the best. Champagne on the west point to farewell the lst sunset of 2011 then grat dinner followed by wonderful show put on by the staff of their own volition, traditional Kava ceremony on the beach but unfortunately the rest of the show was moved indoors due to a heavy downpour. Even th children were involved. Lots of dancing then fireworks at midnight. Already booked for next year. The sun cam out when we arrived and apart from some overnight downpours and the odd thunderstorm usually in the afternoon we had fine weather every day. We sat in the sun and watched it pour over Nadi and Denarau. Our forums and reviews really do work so to all of you who use this as a source of information please write a review of your experience. I met 6 different couples/families at Navini who had used this site to make their choice. All loved it and two have booked again for next Christmas/New Year. Hte to say iit but there is a low over Fiji at the moment bringing heavy rain to the Mamanucas and Mainland, it started the day we were leaving so made it easier for us to go. Hope the sun comes out again for all of you there and about to go.

Barb

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Came home yesterday.

Welcome back, Barb. Great to hear you had good weather, and another fantastic stay at Navini. New Year's sounds amazing. There is nothing like celebrating the holidays in Fiji. Such a very special experience. Knew about the low. Pacific Sun has cancelled all flights the last two days.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Came home yesterday.

Hi Barb,

It was wonderful to meet you and share Xmas with you at Navini. I'm pleased to hear that New Years was enjoyable and I wish we could of stayed on a few extra days to enjoy it also. Navini is truely a special place with some very special staff.

You are right about the weather, it was lovely, even when it looked miserable on the mainland.

Scott and I actually just booked a return visit to Navini today. We are going for a short 6 night getaway at the end of Sep/start of Oct and leaving Oskar at home this time to housesit with the grandparents. We thought briefly about going back next Xmas, but it wouldn't be fair to take Oskar away from his other grandparents for two Xmases in a row. Maybe the following year?

Anyway, we are going to Navini for 4 of those nights and then we want to spend 2 nights somewhere else. We love Navini, but also get a bit restless when we aren't trying new things. In fact, this will be the only resort/hotel we have ever gone back to for a second time. That's saying something.

We thought about a couple of nights at First Landing staying in one of their private pool villas. We also thought about a Denarau resort, but they do look like they lack Fijian character. If you have any other suggestions for a short 2 night stay that will still be any easy trip back to the airport in time for a late afternoon flight, I'd love to hear them.

Lastly, I wrote a review of Navini the day after we got home and it's still pending. I noticed that someone wrote a review boxing day and it only went up yesterday, so I'm hoping mine will be there by the middle of the week.

Again, lovely to meet you.

Regards,

Karina

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Came home yesterday.

Also, I meant to say, we booked Bure 6. I remember you saying that it was your favourite of the cheapest Bures.

Very excited and I still have 9 months to wait.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Came home yesterday.

Welcome back Barb.

Sounds like you got some good weather and had a wonderful festive season on Navini. Did you get over to Malolo Lailai during your stay ?

Looks like a low is turning into a cyclone near Tonga by current reports on the Fiji MET site.

LTB

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Came home yesterday.

Hi Barb,

Pleased to hear your Chrissy and NY holiday was so good at Navini -- it seems such a lovely place to visit...... so many returnees is always a good sign !!

Hope that low pressure doesn't cause any grief...

Julie.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,329 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Came home yesterday.

Thank you all for the messages. Will private email you Karina. We are thinking of including Navini in our May visit.

Cathy it was really a wonderful way to spend New Year.

LTB we did get over to Malolo but Kini was on the mainland so hopefully next time!

Will be in touch Julie, you have a really special Fiji experience ahead of you, lucky girl!!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Came home yesterday.

Yes welcome back. Glad to hear you had a wonderful time!!

Nola ;)

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Came home yesterday.

I love reading reports of fellow travellers...especially those that call Fiji their 2nd home!

Its so wonderful to hear Fiji still has that magic touch for you after so many visits....it just tells me we're making the right decision in always wanting to return to Fiji each year when I think of trying somewhere else.

Welcome home!

Maree :D

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,329 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Came home yesterday.

Thanks Nola.

Know what you mean Maree I often think of a change. We have been to Vanuatu a few times and plan another trip there so Eddie can dive the Coolidge and USS Tucker. The 'Cooks' appeal but everyone I know who has been says it rains a lot! Easier to get to now with direct flight from Melbourne and we are able to fly direct to Melb. from Coffs. a couple of times a week, so maybe..........?

Barb

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Came home yesterday.

We do the same thing!! We have looked at Vanuatu and the Cook Islands, but always keep going back to Fiji ;)

Have 69 days till we return to Mana……….is it too early to start counting!! ;)

Nola ;)