We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit Fiji??

Toronto, Canada
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to visit Fiji??

My partner and I are planning a 2 to 3 week vacation in Fiji in the first quarter of 2013. We will be scuba diving daily and looking for A LOT of sun as we don't see a whole lot of hot weather in Jan-Feb in Toronto, Canada.

What is the best time of year to go? Which island gets the most sun from Jan to Mar.?

Please help as we have been reading a lot of information and having a difficult time deciphering between which is true and which is crap.

Thank you!!!!

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit Fiji??

Jan - Mar is slap bang middle of cyclone season and low season for Fiji. The weather can be very hot & humid with tropical downpours occuring regularly. Western islands will be a little drier than northern or eastern regions. Best time to visit is Apr - Dec.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit Fiji??

A good site for weather stats is World weather - it's linked to official government MET sites

http://www.worldweather.org/022/c00094.htm

I personally won't go to Fiji in February, nor early March as I know what our weather is like then at home in Queensland Aust. - hot, humid and cyclone season too.

You'll be going from one weather extreme to another, you may melt :)

Best months IMO April to October - a wee bit cooler, but still hot most days and not as much rain

LTB

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,918 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit Fiji??

We love Fiji in May and October the shoulder seasons. The water is warm without the chill you get in winter but not too hot, the weather is usually stable with lots of sunshine. The wet season December through to March can get very humid especially on the mainland and of course you have to expect rain. Of course like anywhere else you can get rain at any time of the year but we find this time the most pleasant.

Edited: 18 January 2012, 20:50
Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit Fiji??

Bear in mind too the Australian and New Zealand school holidays, which are peak travel times to Fiji from both countries. From your post, I assumed its just the two of you so if you can avoid the "thundering herd" the better! August comes to mind as being outside school holidays (in Aust anyway)

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
86 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit Fiji??

Hi Robyn,

For scuba diving, we strongly prefer April - May. June may also be nice but we haven't been there then. It is after the rainy season, and since it is their fall, the water temp is warmer (usually about 84F/29C) than in the September/October when the water temp can be 4-5 degrees F cooler. And the air temp is warmer too; nice! We have gone the last week in March before and generally had good luck except the year Cyclone Tomas sat over Fiji for 4 days.

Part of the problem with rain in Fiji is that it often blows out the viz underwater, especially when you are diving near shore and/or in a lagoon like Beqa. When we want to get warm during Fiji's rainy season, we often hit Bonaire in the Caribbean. The fish life isn't as varied, but it doesn't take as long to get there and it's generally nicer weather. Plus they have great shore diving - have you been there? I don't know of an island that gets the most sun but just like in Hawaii, there is a leeward and windward side which varies the rain. For example, on Viti Levu, the Nadi side is drier than Suva. But if you're divers, you'll definitely want to get away from Viti Levu and to a smaller island. Our favorite diving has been Taveuni, Naigani, and Kadavu. We also enjoyed Beqa and Rakiraki, though they were more impacted by viz problems from rain. (We dove Beqa in September and it rained every day and the viz inside the lagoon was horrible.) We have found the diving in the Mamanucas and Yasawas just isn't as good as elsewhere in Fiji (though diving anywhere there is still great diving) but I think those islands are a little drier since they're western like Nadi.

Also, when booking travel, we use Ryan Dandy at World of Diving in LA (www.worldofdiving.com). They really know the sites (they've been there) and usually can get me a better price than I can get on my own. Plus they give really great service if you have a problem. I really can't recommend them highly enough.

Finally, if you need an overnight at the airport, we usually stay at Raffles Gateway Hotel. It's right across the street from the airport, and is very well maintained even though it is older. And they have free airport transportation.

Hope this helps.

Cindy

Edited: 02 February 2012, 14:54
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit Fiji??

Most of the year is good to go to Fiji, but yes Jan-April is cyclone season and generally there will be alot more rain there, but there will also be clear days, esp in the western side of the main island.

I'd say stay away during peak times (school holidays). The best deals are available in the off peak times.

Hope u have a great time.

7. Re: Best time to visit Fiji??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 December 2012, 11:05
8. Re: Best time to visit Fiji??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 10:18