We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Fiji

Burnham-On-Sea...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Fiji

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Fiji for a week in May. We have a budget of around $1,000 AUS each.

I like the look of the islands, but they all seem to be taken over by large resorts and therefore expensive with added drinks and dinner costs.

If we stay on the main land is there the opportunity to explore a nearby town and get cheap food and drink?

I prefer small boutiquey places to stay in, with character, rather than a resort or hotel complex.

Any hints, tips or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thank you : )

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,648 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Fiji

Unfortunately the boutiquey islands are usually the more expensive. Have a look at Funky Fish on Malolo Island it may suit yu and the budget as it has a variety of accommodation. You could shop at a supermarket onthe way to the marina to get drinks and nibbles . Not a lot of nightlife in the Towns in Fiji a few in the Nadi area but not the best place to base your self. Try for the islands.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Fiji

The majority of the islands don't have large resorts and certainly not hotels, unless you mean Denarau Island near Nadi, which isn't really an island, it's joined to the mainland by a causeway, and doesn't have white sand nor clear blue water.

There's big "chain" resorts/hotels on the Coral Coast, but a lot of smaller places too.

Check out some of the accommodation on the Awesome Adventures Fiji website or Coconuts and Coral website for the Yasawa Group of islands.

On the Coral Coast /Pacific Harbour area check places like the Beach House, Yatule Resort, Matanivusi, Mango Bay or Crusoes Retreat - all small !

enjoy the planning LTB

Dandenong, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Fiji

l suggest if you are on a budget, to check out the Last Minute Accommodation websites eg Wotif, Need it Now, Webjet, Expedia, Hotelie.

You will be surprised at the savings you can get.

lm heading over there in three weeks [on a budget] and lve spent a long time surfing the net for accommodation, transport, places of interest, shopping etc etc. l know already that this wont be my first trp to Fiji as there is just so much to see and do.

Trip Advisor is fantastic..holds so much information about everything . Any questions just ask in the forums.

Good luck with it all.

Edited: 22 February 2012, 12:17
4. Re: First time in Fiji

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 02:42