We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holidays for New Zealand and Australia

Pacific Harbour...
Level Contributor
345 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Holidays for New Zealand and Australia

Well..I am planning my next trip around Fiji...I want to go to places I have not been to..this time I am going to fly through New Zealand on an airline employee pass so I want to make sure I don't schedule the trip during holiday times. Could someone please advise me on the heaviest travel time to Fiji by Kiwis and Aussies?Thanks so much!

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holidays for New Zealand and Australia

Hi Ocean

We've found the busiest times are Christmas/New Year, Easter and school holidays in NZ and Australia.

Different states in Australia have varying times for school holidays so suggest you check

australia.gov.au/topics/…school-term-dates

…govt.nz/theMinistry/EducationInNewZealand/S…

LTB

Bathurst, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Viti Levu, Treasure Island, Sonaisali Island, Nadi
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holidays for New Zealand and Australia

The best time's to travel with less people would always be outside of Christmas and New Year and also Easter and any school holiday times as mentioned above. Also note some resorts will also have a lot of extra young people around November after HSC have finished for the schoolies holiday's. That being said at any time it could be busy if plenty of discounted travel deals and specials are offered by the different resorts to try and fill empty rooms. Generally avoid school holidays and public holiday times. Where are you thinking of going and did you have a time in mind?

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,824 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holidays for New Zealand and Australia

OK, I'm unsure if you're travelling from Fiji or to Fiji looking at your profile!

As others have said avoid the main holiday periods and school holidays at all costs. If you're travelling on an airline pass these will be the busiest times and, in terms of accommodation, the most expensive.

As far as accommodation in Fiji is concerned, it looks as though you've had lots of experience. Also with the Westin group!

Pacific Harbour...
Level Contributor
345 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holidays for New Zealand and Australia

Thx...I can go anytime and I like to try Islands I haven't been to. I live in Fiji but I work for an airline so have an apartment in the states...I will be traveling thru New Zealand to Fiji this time...Sometime the Fiji forum experts should all plan a trip together to meet...FUN!

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,822 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holidays for New Zealand and Australia

That idea was mooted last year but nothing happened. Maybe it should be put out there again. Think First Landing was suggested for lunch or dinner. Problem seemed to be that not enough people were actually going to be in Fiji at the same time. I have met up with a great many TA contributors in out travels and here at home have caught up with a few all great people. Maybe those of us in OZ should get together here at home.....maybe easier.

Barb

Pacific Harbour...
Level Contributor
345 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holidays for New Zealand and Australia

What about October? Is that a big time for NZ school holidays?

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,824 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holidays for New Zealand and Australia

Hi again

NZ school holidays run from 28 September, returning to school on 15 October.

OZ schools vary, as you know, but appears that all should be back by 15 October.

I always arrange travel out of NZ after these dates.

Edited: 20 March 2012, 18:11
8. Re: Holidays for New Zealand and Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 06:41