We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overweight baggage...HELP..try as I might there is no way

Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Topic
Overweight baggage...HELP..try as I might there is no way

I can get 30 lbs in our suitcases - since one of our suitcases is completely dedicated to items for the kids in the village it leaves us with 4 people and 3 suitcases to fill with snorkel gear, shoes, clothes, books, etc...it just is not going to happen - I've tried every way I can imagine - 2 of them are about 40lbs. Flying Sun Air to Tavenui - what can I expect? Will they just charge me for the extra weight or is it going to be a big problem? Heading out today!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS!

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overweight baggage...HELP..try as I might there is no way

You won't need half the clothes your taking, believe me. You can lighten th load. Have fun and watch out for that sun! Pub

Broomfield, Colorado
Level Contributor
152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overweight baggage...HELP..try as I might there is no way

The extra weight charge is a no-brainer at this point after all you've spent to get there. We paid like $40 for all our scuba gear. Take what you want and have a great time !!!!

Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Overweight baggage...HELP..try as I might there is no way

Great Nikki - Thanks :) I just wanted to make sure it was just a charge and not a big problem :)

Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Overweight baggage...HELP..try as I might there is no way

Thanks Pub but 90% of the weight of what we are packing isn't clothes - its more books, snorkel gear, and stuff...I'll just pay the charge - I'd rather do that than be without the stuff we need :)

Broomfield, Colorado
Level Contributor
152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overweight baggage...HELP..try as I might there is no way

oh - and they DO take your little Visa card at the airport for this overcharge!! I am jealous!! take care...

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overweight baggage...HELP..try as I might there is no way

We're going to be in the same situation when we go. The bulk of the weight will be due to scuba gear and underwater photo gear, none of which I'm willing to leave home. (My camera alone is 20 pounds.) I just figure I'll pay whatever the excess charges are and deal with it. We did the same thing when we went to the Galapagos. It was worth the extra $100 roundtrip for the two of us.

Have a great trip!!

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overweight baggage...HELP..try as I might there is no way

Understood, books are great. We go through quite a few on our three weekers. Give us all the details when you get back. Pub

Tacoma, WA
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Overweight baggage...HELP..try as I might there is no way

If you have dive gear that is over weight, make sure you tell them that's what it is. I was allowed a higher weight allowance for my dive gear, decreasing the amount of the over weight charge. I think I only had to pay around $25 US, which was $25 worth of peace of mind to use my own gear.

London
Level Contributor
270 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overweight baggage...HELP..try as I might there is no way

There is a safe left-luggage place at the domestic terminal, so you could surely leave SOME of your luggage ? It is just near the SunAir desk.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Overweight baggage...HELP..try as I might there is no way

This was mentioned, but I'll just add/clarify. My wife and I are scuba divers and I told SunAir this in an email. They gave us an extra ~10 lbs of baggage allowance each. Even then, I think we were overweight. They have you step on a scale with your carry-on (we had backpacks) and they also weigh your checked-in luggage. They said nothing about us being a little overweight. I think it probably depends upon how many people they are carrying and the total weight limit during that particular flight. We flew to Labasa.