We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hope this is not a stupid question-schools

Ohio
Level Contributor
314 posts
286 reviews
Save Topic
Hope this is not a stupid question-schools

I am a High school special education Biology teacher. I want to visit a " real" High school" , not a place they take tourists to visit. I want to see how they teach and what their curriculum is; I don't want to visit the place all the tourists go to spend 30 minute then leave. I have not given much info about where we are staying, because I have emailed the resorts there asking the same question and do not want to insult. What is the best way to see an authentic high school in Fiji? What should I take as gifts?

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hope this is not a stupid question-schools

When I visit my old high school in Nadi, I normally give the admin office a call and arrange a time and to establish my bona fides. On the day, I go to the admin office and sign in before having a look around. I don't think there are many guided visits to local schools so pick one closest to you and go from there. I'm sure you won't have a problem getting to sit in on a class. I remember having many Peace Corp volunteer teachers over the years and everyone was left richer by the experience. As far as gifts are concerned, I usually donate to the school scholarship fund which provides things like uniforms and books to those students who are unable to afford them.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hope this is not a stupid question-schools

The best thing to do would be to contact a school directly. Once you know which part of Fiji yo'll be in, it will be easier to drill down to the schools in that area and contact them directly to arrange for a visit. I am pretty sure the schools will jump on the opportunity to have someone visit them and share some of their knowledge with them.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
421 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hope this is not a stupid question-schools

Hi,

Before my last visit to Fiji I put an advertisement in my daughters school news letter asking for donations of reading books. I had a spare 20kg baggage allowance.

I did email the resort I was staying at for a school close by.( they told me they would discuss which school when I got there).

When we arrived I got talking to a waitress at the hotel Resturant and mentioned the books I had to donate to a school.

She was so excited as her husband new a principal at a local school.

It was arranged for my family to attend the school the next day.

We arrived and were taken to a year 1 class (this was not a high school) what an experiance for my children we gave them the books and in return they sang us a song, we were invited to sit in the classroom and participate in the class activities, had recess and played some sport with the children.

We have beautiful memories and photos of this day.

High school would prob. Be different to primary school but they needed things like chalk, paper, pencils etc.

My advice would be talk to your hotel staff and maybe they can point you in the right direction.

All the best.

Nellie

Edited: 04 May 2012, 14:08
4. Re: Hope this is not a stupid question-schools

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 14:17