We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fiji 101 guide

County Donegal...
Level Contributor
70 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Fiji 101 guide

Hi guys,

Just doing some research on Fiji for my RTW backpacking adventure and am a bit lost! Hope you can help me with some of my questions :-)

(A) We are probably going to be in Fiji in January which I know is the rainy season. Does it rain all day? What are the chances of severe weather?

(B) Accomadation seems a little pricey for us, as backpackers we are limited to 20euro/26 US dollars per night each max. I found a resort called octopus which seems nice but what about the other islands? Are there many good quality budget dorms?

(C) Is it better to base yourself on one island and 'hop' during the day? Or does it take too long to travel between the islands?

(D) Where would be a good base island?

(E) Unfortunately I cant swim (hopefully I'll have learnt before I go!) so can you recommend an island that has more nature/cultural activities instead of water sports?

(F) What would be a good itenary for 10 days? (For someone would cant swim!)

I know there are so many questions here but even the tinniest bit of advice would be very appreciated.

Thank! :-)

Edited: 04 May 2012, 21:10
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fiji 101 guide

Octopus is great - but remember to factor in the compulsory meal deal (which applies at most island resorts as there is no alternative and no place to prepare your own food.) Also when travelling to the islands on a budget there is the cost of boat travel which adds a lot to your costs (see website for Awesome Adventures for Yasawa Island Group). If beaches are ot important for you - and that's a shame when you are in Fiji - you might be best to stick to the main island of Viti Levu - local buses are very cheap and there are some lower priced backpacker type resorts along the Coral Coast. I haven't been to any of them but I'm sure someone else will come in with suggestions.

2. Re: Fiji 101 guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 16:40