We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choosing the right reef shoe

Columbus, Ohio...
Level Contributor
14 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Choosing the right reef shoe

After reading in Fodor's guide that you should take "industrial strength reef shoes", and reading some other posts on this topic in these forums, I'm confused about what to choose.

Industrial strength? You mean something like this with the molded sole? amazon.com/Tilos-Coldwater-Expressway-Molded…

But wait, packing size is a concern, so would these be the better choice or do I want the extra protection from stinging sea life that the boot affords? amazon.com/Tilos-Titanium-Expressway-Molded-…

Or are both of these choices too expensive? What else is recommended?

Edited: 11 May 2012, 14:27
Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choosing the right reef shoe

Personally, would take a canvas shoe with rubber soul opposed to sandals. Easier to walk in and better protection.

We take dive boots similar to the ones in your link amazon.com/Tilos-Titanium-Expressway-Molded-…

Usually we go barefoot. Only wear them if the beach is rocky, or there is a lot of broken coral/shells on the beach or water.

They don't take up much luggage room. Because they and our swimsuits are not always dry when leaving for home, we take a "space bag" with us. Keeps the rest of our clothes from getting wet/smelly on the long flight home.

Hope this helps.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choosing the right reef shoe

We have always used a very basic cheap reef shoe (bought from the Warehouse in NZ - around NZ$8 and a slip-on shoe made from neoprene and mesh). Have never needed anything else and they pack flat.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Choosing the right reef shoe

Hi,

I actually don't know where you are but in Victoria, which is a state of Oz we have a chain of stores called Ray's Outdoors.

My better half and I were in our local store looking for exactly the same product. My wife found a reef shoe that my fit what you are looking for. They are in american sizes so my 10 1/2 foot takes a size 12.

Anyway they appear tp be very sturdy and the sole is fashioned in such a way that the water gets away easily.

On the box they say Urban Active by Outdoor Expedition. On a label on the side of the box it says that the Style is Sierra and that they were made and packaged for a crowd called Hay's Outdoors of Queensland.

You may be able to search for them on the net and see if they are suitable.

Sorry I cannot be any more helpful

All the best

Geelong
Level Contributor
104 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choosing the right reef shoe

We have used cheap reef shoes from Target brand, Big W and Anaconda . They have all done the job. My husband and I have purchase O'neill reef shoes and have lasted several years each, will get many more out of them too. But for our daughter, as her feet are still growing the cheaper ones have been fine.

What ever you choose, have fun!

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Choosing the right reef shoe

I purchased cheap reef shoes but have never needed them. I wouldn't spend too much unless you know you will wear them, I find them uncomfortable to wear.

6. Re: Choosing the right reef shoe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 22:16