We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mana or Yasawa... any difference?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Mana or Yasawa... any difference?

I've been researching for a trip to Fiji later this year. I was wondering what is the difference between the Mamanauca Islands and Yasawa Islands.

Are they completely different in quality of beaches, weather, etc or is it just a name for a group of Islands in different geographical locations.

Just wondering because there are so many different names for the islands.Thank you.

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mana or Yasawa... any difference?

The Yasawas are further out from the mainland than the Mamanuca group, so they're off the beaten track in a sense. I've stayed at a few resorts in the Mamanucas but not the Yasawas (yet). My understanding is the Yasawas offer a more rustic and authentic experience with fewer mod cons, although there are some very, very high end resorts in the area. I can't offer a comparison on the snorkeling but I assume it would be better in the Yasawas based on the reasoning that fewer travelers mean less damage to the reefs. I don't think the beaches would be that much better than what's on offer in the Mamanucas.

Edited: 14 May 2012, 10:11
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mana or Yasawa... any difference?

I thought that the Yasawas was more of a 'backpackers' type of setting. In my google searches Yasawa is often mentioned as a backpackers destination.

I'm currently looking at accomodation and I did find comments about the high end resorts there that made me wonder if I'm looking at the same Yasawas as everyone else. I must be under the wrong impression.

Thanks.

Edited: 14 May 2012, 10:37
Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mana or Yasawa... any difference?

It depends on the sort of holiday you're planning too I guess. For a family holiday with young children, resorts in the Mamanucas are probably the way to go due to shorter transit times, kids clubs and the like. Having said that, seaplane transfers shorten the transit time to Yasawa resorts considerably so the budget comes into it too. Some of the resorts in the Yasawas cater to a wide demographic so you could have a choice of dormitory style or beach front bure accommodation within the same establishment. The over riding reason I haven't travelled to the Yasawas yet is that my kids are still too little to really enjoy what the seclusion offers there, things like exploring an island, swimming with manta rays, travelling to the local villages or just laying back and letting the mind empty of all the mundane thoughts in our day to day lives (my favourite by the way). At the moment, kids club and nannies allow everyone to get the most out of our holidays to Fiji.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mana or Yasawa... any difference?

Yasawas (or areas of them) are backpacker style, and it's where the Awesome Fiji Yasawa Flyer does the rounds.

But there are also some very high end resorts in that area.

Yasawas have brilliant white sand beaches, and extremely clear water. Being the farthest islands away I guess you could say many of the resorts are very rustic in design.

Mamanucas are a mix of all sorts of resorts, some have really nice beaches, others not as much.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mana or Yasawa... any difference?

http://g.co/maps/ubh43

That shows you a map of the Yasawas.

It can be quite confusing given that the island groups is called "The Yasawas", Yasawa Island being one of the group. Then there is Yasawa Island Resort on Yasawa Island.

http://www.nztourmaps.com/fiji_map_yasawa.htm

That link shows you a breakup of the Yasawa Island Group

Finally this is a good read about the difference of the Yasawas, the formatting is rubbish but it explains things.

articlessearches.com/travel/Backpackers_and_…

Hope that helps explain things better.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mana or Yasawa... any difference?

I like it...backpackers and billionares!!!!

What it clears up for me is that there is a very diverse range of options for holidays and I need to keep researching regarding where I'm going for what suits me. I know that there is an island for everyone's tastes.

Oh boy...more google and TA time for me.

Thanks very much for the info and advice.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mana or Yasawa... any difference?

If you can tell us just what you are looking for we could make recommendations based on that.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mana or Yasawa... any difference?

No problems HenryandLily.

Really depends on your budget, but there are some stunning resorts in both areas to suit many budgets.

I'm actually heading to an island in both for my honeymoon at the end of this year.

Edited: 14 May 2012, 23:57
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mana or Yasawa... any difference?

I'm celebrating my 33rd wedding anniversary so after somewhere more upmarket. Definitely no kids, nice beach, good food, beachfront bure and friendly staff.

I was looking at Manamatoa Island resort as it has good reviews, I was also considering Toboriki, and LikuLiku. I'm waiting for the Likuliku specials for later this year, there is one which expires late June and if they offer it again I might take it. It's for 6 days, pay for 5, all meals included. Eventhough this resort is fairly pricey, I thought it was good value for money. Manamatoa is cheaper but when the half board is added, it's not far off the Liku Liku price. Toboriki is OK but they're charging 200FJD pp for meals. It really adds up.

That's my shortlist at the moment. I have a budget of around $500 per day but value for money is the priority.

Mitch, enjoy your honeymoon and many happy years ahead. Congratulations.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mana or Yasawa... any difference?

That special sounds a great deal at Likuliku --- it's a beautiful resort and the food is 5 star gourmet every meal.

Another one to add to your list might be Nanuya Island Resort up in the Yasawas -- well within your budget, on the Blue Lagoon, really good food, huge beautiful beachfront bures (as well as Tree Top ones) and staff are great. Also the restaurant is open all day (only closes from 5 - 6 pm), so you can eat whenever it suits you :-)

It's a 5 hour trip on the Yasawa Flyer, but with the $$$ you save in accomodation, you could get a seaplane at least one way...

Worth having a look at for what you are after.

Happy 33rd Anniversary -- you deserve to celebrate !!