We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Sea Cruises-Beware

Ohio
Level Contributor
321 posts
378 reviews
Save Topic
South Sea Cruises-Beware

We booked SSC before we left the states. We paid a little extra to stay in the "captains lounge", it is not a big deal. Our trip from Denaru to Matamanoa was perfect. On our trip back we were loaded into a small 28 seat boat. We were repeatedly told the catamaran is only 20 minutes away, just behind Mana island. The boat was overcrowded so my wife and I were put in the back with the local Fijian people returning to Denaru. The catamaran never appeared, we had a 1.5 hour ride in the hot sun with saltwater splashing on us. We are not pampered travelers, we have travelled extensively in some pretty primitive conditions, but we do expect to get what we pay for. When we arrived at Port, we talked to the desk manager about a refund, we should pay the same rate the local people had paid since that is where we sat, this rate is significantly less than we paid. The manager gave us the run around, telling us that customer service was not in but he would take all our information and they would contact us ASAP. They have never contacted us and I have sent 3 more emails. I was told this happens on a regular basis, one of the boats breaks down, so they send a small one to pick you up. We took this boat in good weather, in bad weather, this tiny boat would be scary to say the least. Be aware that you may not get what you pay for and if the weather is bad....well good luck

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,979 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Sea Cruises-Beware

Ok, can understand that you did not receive an equivalent standard of passage that you paid for and you could be expected to be reimbursed. Situations can unfortunately arise. Can't see that where or whom you sat with is an issue.

Ohio
Level Contributor
321 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Sea Cruises-Beware

I don't care where or whom I sit next to, except for what I paid for my ticket. What I paid for and what we received were not even close. My point with whom I sat next to and where I sat was that they were paying a great deal less than I was.I paid for the air conditioned captain's lounge, what I received were seats that cost a great deal less than what I paid for. I think the fair thing to do would be to charge me the same rate as the people I was sitting with. If I had paid the local rate, no worries, I will take what I get. Don't sell me one thing and then switch to another without some type of compensation....

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Sea Cruises-Beware

I consider you have been treated poorly. You should at least get the difference between the cost of an ordinary ticket and a ticket incorporating the Captains Lounge. Go to http://www.consumersfiji.org/ and lodge a omplaint with the consumers council. . You can do it online. I have used them before and got a good response. Dont give up, it's a matter of principle.

Edited: 05 July 2012, 04:11
Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,979 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Sea Cruises-Beware

As I said you did not get what you paid for so should expect to be reimbursed. . There are few options that are price comparable other than taking a SSC transfer in both the Mamanacu and Yasawa Islands. Pity, some competition might make them smarten up and charge less. As suggested by the poster above lodge a complaint with the consumer council.

With regard to what the locals pay this happens in other areas too. The resorts need staff and they the staff can't afford to pay what we do so they get a discounted rate which I think is fair enough but you didn't get what you paid for and should be reimbursed. Good luck.

Edited: 05 July 2012, 04:30
Denarau Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: South Sea Cruises-Beware

Hi xcapeohio

My name is Amanda and I work for South Sea Cruises. My apologies are tenfold you had this experience with our company. I am so sorry you did not get to travel in the Captain's Lounge and feel terrible you were not compensated upon your return to Denarau Marina.

We would like to look into this further and follow up with the rostered staff on the day you travelled with regards to the issues mentioned. We would also like to reimburse you for the difference, that is the least we can do.

Please email info@ssc.com.fj, attention Mitieli and Maria, with all your booking details including date and booking name so we can be in touch with you regarding this.

Again, I am so sorry you did not receive the seamless experience you booked and deserved.

Many thanks,

Amanda

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Sea Cruises-Beware

This reply from SSC was no doubt a result of me sending a copy of the original posting to them and indicating it was a poor adverisement for their company. The power of TA does work!

Edited: 05 July 2012, 05:14
Ohio
Level Contributor
321 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South Sea Cruises-Beware

Amanda,

I did as you asked and emailed you July 5th , I have not heard any response. Did you receive my email and what is the status of my complaint

nsw
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: South Sea Cruises-Beware

A typical response by these people they should not be in business and hopefully wont be much longer as the internet is worldwide. Lets all keep spreading the word about these rip off artists.

9. Re: South Sea Cruises-Beware

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 18:16