We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help w/1st Fiji vacation

Anchorage
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Need help w/1st Fiji vacation

Hi

I am hoping all you experienced Fiji travellers can help me begin to plan a vacation to Fiji...at least narrow down some resort/island choices. My husband (51), daughter 9 and I (51) will be o this vacation and travelling probably in March.

We are looking for awesome snorkeling, beautiful beach and water. We would love a resort with watersports (like cats to sail etc...) and maybe some excursions. If it offers good kids activities that would be a bonus especially if they are more cultural or educational than "pool games" for example.

All of us are active so a livlier place vs a more subdued place would probably fit better but I don't relish the idea of lots of day trippers and out-of-control kids in large numbers. Kids are fine and fun for our daughter but if the place is too over-run with them it seems to take away some of the "relaxation" for us.

We want to stay at 2 different places since we will have 2-3 weeks to spend in Fiji.

I saw someone mention a cruise of the Yasawas but don't really see any posts on cruises. We would consider a week cruise and a week resort as well as the idea of 1 week ea at 2 resorts.

I hope I provided enough info so you can help

Price wise - I don't know what places cost but we are probably wanting 4 star places maybe 3 star, but not 2 star.

Thanks so much for your help - I just decided to check TA today re: Fiji and am now really excited about the idea of a vacation there.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,378 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help w/1st Fiji vacation

Have a look at the website for Castaway.

http://www.castawayfiji.com

Navini may also suit. Much smaller resort.

http://www.navinifiji.com.fj

The resort offers 24/7 transportation to the island so no need to overnight on the mainland. If you stay 7 or more nights transportation is included in the price. Another plus, all daily scheduled snorkeling and island tours are included in the price. Prices are in FD so do the conversion to USD.

Great beach for snorkeling off, crystal clear blue water. Kayaks, sea cycles available at no charge. Private island. No day trippers allowed.

The following link has pictures of our vacation to Navini. Will give you an idea of the beach, bures, resort grounds, etc.

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-042f-1fde-de34

Hope this helps. Enjoy the planning :)

Edited: 26 August 2012, 18:26
Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help w/1st Fiji vacation

E&CinReno, every time you post the link to your pics I have to go take another peek - love them!

Akgirl, here's a link to the most comprehensive Blue Lagoon post I can recall reading. Good reviews of the cruises in Fiji waters are hard to dig up for some reason so I hope this helps. (PS - did this cruise a zillion years ago with my parents and no siblings when I was only a few years older than your daughter, it was the highlight which has kept me dreaming of Fiji through all the years in-between). Here you go:

tripadvisor.com/…29672234

My vote would be to do at least a week on Navini as well.

Just editing to add that in order to avoid overwhelming numbers of kids check the dates for New Zealand and Australian school holidays prior to booking as Fiji is a very popular and accessible destination for families from both.

Edited: 26 August 2012, 21:03
Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,378 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help w/1st Fiji vacation

Glad you like the pictures, Dianz. Happy countdown to Navini. Am sure you will have a fabulous time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help w/1st Fiji vacation

Bula and welcome to the Fiji forum.

Have a look at the photos and read the posts about Blue Lagoon Beach Resort in the Yasawa Islands.

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g1185718-d15…

This is a standout 4 star resort on what I consider to be the best beach in Fiji. I found this beach in the 90s, well before this resort was built. However, while I have to share the beach with more people, being able to stay in 4 star luxury is fantastic. No to mention, the beachfront is about 1.3km long, so sharing it with about 70 people (while half of those are off diving or doing a half day activity) means it still feels like I am all alone on my tropical island.

Hint: This is where part of the movie "The Blue Lagoon" with Brooke Shields was filmed in the 70s. It is still paradise!

The local Fijians work in the resort. You can visit the village, attend the Sunday church service, hike, snorkel, visit Sawa-i-lau caves, etc. You will not be disappointed if you visit this resort. You will only wish you had stayed longer. About 8-10 days is great to stay at this island.

Also consider staying at either of Treasure Island or Castaway Island in the Mamanuca group of islands. These are more commercial and I would recommend visiting them first. About 5-6 days would be good.

One final recommendation is Octopus Island Resort. This is the sister resort to BLBR (above). Again, 4 star. The beach is more coral and this resort has a pool. It is a lovely resort and well managed. About 4-5 nights here is good.

I would also recommend 2-3 nights on the mainland. Radisson Blu Resort is very nice. From here I would recommend you do a couple of tours eg. to a cultural centre and perhaps a water rafting trip.

This will give you a very good overall experience of Fiji in your 3 weeks.

If you want someone to package all of your travel requirements and to meet/greet you at Nadi airport and transfer you to your accommodations, boat or seaplane, then get quotes from each of:

http://www.rosiefiji.com/ (Rosie)

http://www.sunvacationsfiji.com/ (Lynne Carlos or Asha Nair)

I have booked my travels with each of these companies and found them to be very professional. Their offices are each located at Nadi Airport, just outside the international arrivals hall (20 metres).

They usually come in at about 10% cheaper than the web. Also, because you book in FJD, if the market fluctuates, the FJD always stays weak.

Happy travels.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help w/1st Fiji vacation

Hi akgirl - just been in your part of the world and loved it as I'm sure you will love Fiji.

Captain Cook Cruises offer 3, 4 & 7 night cruises aboard a small ship (up to about 150 pax I think) and I can highly recommend them from personal experience. They have varying itineraries but if you can time you trip to co-incide with either the 7 day Cultural or Heritage cruises, this will give you a fabulous opportunity to see a lot more of Fiji than on the regular 7 night cruise. See: www.captaincook.com.fj for details.

The suggestions above are good ones for resorts to stay at but as lovely as Navini is, it's not the most social place for kids. A lot will depend on your nightly budget but here's a few to consider in addition to the above:

Malolo Island, Vomo Island, Toberua Island

On the mainland the larger resorts are the ones that offer higher star ratings & comfort. The Denarau hotels are all grouped around the same area and golf course but don't have very good beaches. You could stay there for a couple of days prior to your cruise just to get oriented. Alternatives could be Intercontinental, Outrigger or ShangriLa. These are all large resorts.

Have a look at some pricing and let us know what's realistic for your budget then we can narrow it down a bit for you.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help w/1st Fiji vacation

Schwabbie - you may want to check the link you have put up for Rosies as that only takes you to their corporate site - not their holidays site which is: http://www.rosieholidays.com.au/ - an Australian website.........

Anchorage
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help w/1st Fiji vacation

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have not looked into mainland resorts yet but I think while for sure spend time in the Mamancas and the Yasawas. In the Mamanuacas Castaway suits us best. In the Yasawas, I am intrigued and considering Botaira but I really like Blue Lagoon and Octopus. Overall the Octopus website draws me in a bit more than Blue Lagoon but both are very appealing.Botaira seems to have a certain charm. I think I would like to try to work in a Captain Cook cruise for 4 or 7 days and maybe a few nighs on the mainland. You all have given me some great ideas and I guess I have to do the really heavy lifting to decide which resorts. Sounds like it is better to start with Castaway then maybe the cruise and finish up with BL and/or Octopus. I am of course open to ideas and to suggestions. I am excited to find another tropical paradise we can explore.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help w/1st Fiji vacation

If you're going to do the 4 night northern Yasawa cruise, you will cover similar water to the ferry that will take you to the Yasawa resorts.

With as much time as you have try:

Arrive Nadi 2-3 days prior to cruise departure and stay in Denarau (this means your holiday will only get better!)

Cruise 4-7 nights (the cultural & heritage cruises take a different route than the northern Yasawa)

Castaway or Malolo Islands (book these well in advance as they do fill up)

Yasawa Island resort of your choice (save the best til last)

Depending on your return flights, you may need to spend another night in Nadi or just get a day room somewhere like Raffles when you get back from your island resort.

9. Re: Need help w/1st Fiji vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2013, 10:17