We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for your experiences on Fiji cruises

Anchorage
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for your experiences on Fiji cruises

Hi -

I am hoping to hear from you all about your experiences cruising in Fiji. We are looking at Captain Cook, Blue Lagoon and TuiTai cruises. It will be my husband, daughter 9 and I travelling. We are considering cruise at least 4 night long but maybe a week. Besides the cruise we will spend about 1 week at the Blue Lagoon Resort and a week at either Castaway or Malolo. We are AVID snorkelers and love being in and on the water.

If you have taken any of these I'd love to hear about it...there are very few reviews out there.

Some of my questions too are:

Given it will be March (2014) when we go and the wet season - might we have more weather problems where TuiTai goes (NE Fiji)?

I have seen reports of roaches on both TuiTai and BL are roaches a given in Fiji anyway and I should expect to see them anyways (mind you most bugs don't bother me but I HATE roaches)?

Is 4/5 days enough? Did you all who did a 4-5 day cruise come back wishing you'd done a 7 day?

Do Capt Cook and BL go very different places on their 4 day cruise?

I was initally leaning toward Capt Cook because of ease of getting on, good reviews and least expensive. Then I saw Tui Tai and it looks really nice but it is expensive, requires another plane trip and worried we'll have more possible weather problems. Haven't ruled out BL but given the price I am not sure it is worth it over CC. Thoughts?

Thanks for your help - TA experiences and advice is invaluable to me when planning a new adventure.

Hervey Bay...
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for your experiences on Fiji cruises

I can only comment the Capt Cook Cruise.

Its one of the best holidays we have ever had as a family in Fiji so far.

My youngest was 9yrs old when we did the 4 night cruise, and in all honesty it was enough for her (and us). She was so tired from all the snorkelling and other activities that I think 7 days would have been too much personally. You do want to leave some energy for the other resort snorkelling :)

You can read my review of what we thought of the cruise.

Maree :D

Edited: 04 September 2012, 21:38
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for your experiences on Fiji cruises

We also loved our CC cruise. We did 3 nights and it wasn't enough. IMHO 4 nights would be the minimum to really relax & enjoy the cruise. There is heaps of quality snorkelling time allocated on a CC cruise. A 2 night cruise would be a waste of effort. To compare routes & itineraries, look at the websites for each company. The weather is anyones guess and there's no predicting what it will be like anytime. One thing - it WILL be warm!

Anchorage
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for your experiences on Fiji cruises

Thanks ladies for the feedback. Maree would I look under Captain Cook cruises for your review or on the forum?

Yes weather is a big guess these days...we went to Ecuador and the Galapagos in the "wet" season and it was glorious - only one day of rain on the mainland. We don't mind warm since we are from Alaska we need warm/hot but I will say being without AC could be tough so it might need to be a consideration for at least part of hte trip. I think I'm still leaning toward Capt Cook. Thanks again.

4. Re: Looking for your experiences on Fiji cruises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 September 2012, 05:40
Edited: 06 September 2012, 05:40
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for your experiences on Fiji cruises

We loved our Blue Lagoon Cruise, we have been to Fiji twice in Feb / March and there were cyclones in the area both times... First year we were booked on a Blue Lagoon Cruise which was cancelled the day before we were meant to board.

The next year we tempted luck again and decided to give it another go. Feb this time. We were lucky with the cyclone on our cruise and it was only the last day when the captain headed for home..

Feb / March> nope we won't go back to Fiji during cyclone season. Having said that we had a great time on the cruise which was 7 days/ 6 nights.

Edited: 05 September 2012, 06:59
Hervey Bay...
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for your experiences on Fiji cruises

Sorry all, but I had my previous post removed as after reading it, I realised that it made no sense due to my contradicted myself! So will try again. :)

I agree with Tez....its very hot in March, but the ship is fully A/C'd and the times you are off the ship you will be spending in the water. We have also just missed 2 cyclones, so not sure that I would be booking again for March myself.

4 days was enough for us. The kids found it pretty exhausting doing all the snorkelling on the cruise.Great fun and all, but we had just done 4 nights at Amanuca previous to the cruise and still had 5 nights to do at Mana following the cruise.

If this was our only destination/stop we would have most definitely done the 7 night cruise without a doubt!

You can see my CC Cruise review here:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g294335-d…

Like I said I wouldnt hesitate in doing this cruise again. It was an awesome experience.

Maree :D

Edited: 06 September 2012, 05:49
Anchorage
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for your experiences on Fiji cruises

Gosh with the feedback on March maybe we need to bag our plans to go to Fiji. We really only have certain times of year to take a vacation due to school and those are basically Dec, March and late May. We don't like to leave Alaska in the summer due to it being the only time for good weather (if any) here. And of course we always need doses of sunshine and Vitamin D so a March escape also works for that. I guess Dec is no better given it is also during the wet season. Thanks for the cruise feedabck and weather feedback.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for your experiences on Fiji cruises

December actually has much less chance of cyclones but will be really busy for the Xmas holidays. March can be completely incident free - it's just it's more likely to get cyclones then. May is perfect :)

Let's face it - any weather you get in Fiji couldn't be worse than Alaska in March!!

9. Re: Looking for your experiences on Fiji cruises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2013, 10:16