We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mamanuca Isl. 3 hr cruise - return to airport at what time?

Mills River
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Mamanuca Isl. 3 hr cruise - return to airport at what time?

We are taking the Viator Mamanuca Islands 3-hour catamaran morning cruise during our flight layover in Nadi. Anybody know what time they drop you back off at the airport? We have to catch a 2:00 flight. Better to take a taxi...if airport is their last stop? Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mamanuca Isl. 3 hr cruise - return to airport at what time?

That cruise via Viator is run by South Sea Cruises and departs Denarau island at 9am. Gets back to Denarau about 12pm.

See Option 1 here: www.ssc.com.fj/Fiji_Island_Mamanucas.aspx

Then it's roughly 20-30 minutes from Denarau back to the airport with normal traffic by a DIRECT route.

So you are looking at getting back to airport at 12:30pm AT EARLIEST.

All this is hypothetical because the cruise is quoted as "around" 12pm arrival.

For Both V Australia and Air Pacific:

International travel, please check-in 3 hours prior to your flight. Check-in for International flight times closes 1 hour prior to departure.

Air New Zealand

At LEAST 2 hrs before flight (if flying to/from/via US) or 90 minutes elsewhere.

So at the very earliest you'd get back to airport at 12:30pm (1 hr 30 minutes before departure). That only gives you 30 minutes for potential delays. To me, that'd be cutting things WAY too fine. If there's more traffic, or the cruise takes longer, or the transfer takes longer, or the airport is busy due to peak period, you run a real risk of not making check-in.

If Air NZ it'd be way too find.

If AP or VA still way too close in my opinion.

Edited: 28 September 2012, 00:36
Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mamanuca Isl. 3 hr cruise - return to airport at what time?

At that time of day you shouldn't get much traffic, get a taxi at Denarau Marina, there's usually plenty out the front to the left of where the South Seas check in is located on your way back. Taxi should take about 20 mins. but you'll need FJD to pay the driver.

Hopefully your cruise will be on time coming back, as they often aren't. I've come back on SSC resort connections (same boat as your cruise also used for those staying on the islands) and have been 30 mins later than scheduled.

Guess the decision is yours, but I certainly wouldn't rely on using the transfer offered by South Sea Cruises to get to the airport on time. You won't have luggage I assume. Check with your airline for the latest time you can check back in for your flight.

Mills River
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mamanuca Isl. 3 hr cruise - return to airport at what time?

Hey, thanks so much! Well, now I'm a little worried, but thanks to alerting me to this. I'd have thought they would have quite a few "layovers" doing this trip regularly and be sure to get them back on time. I'll check w/Air Pacific. We wouldn't have luggage to check so that would help.

Mills River
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mamanuca Isl. 3 hr cruise - return to airport at what time?

Thanks for your input! Certainly need to give this more serious thought.

Sure would have to miss the cruise, but more so to miss the plane!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
843 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mamanuca Isl. 3 hr cruise - return to airport at what time?

last sunday the ssc boat was 40 minutes late getting to Mana island and picking us up, so we got to airport 40 minutes later than planned. Taxi from the port to the airport is $25 to $30 fiji. will you need to check in for your next flight or is your baggae checked through and boarding passes already issued for the next leg of the flight? if so it is a small airport and security and immigration move pretty quick.

Mills River
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mamanuca Isl. 3 hr cruise - return to airport at what time?

OK, so does anybody have a recommendation for a somewhat inexpensive charter cruise for 4 people....would be willing to share....for 3 hrs. around 7:00-10:00 a.m. on 2/21/13? South Seas Cruises is too iffy to make it back for a 2:00 flight out.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mamanuca Isl. 3 hr cruise - return to airport at what time?

Are scenic flights at option?

Your problem is that SSC is the main cruise and transfer provider over there, and most transfers/cruises leave around 9am from Denarau.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mamanuca Isl. 3 hr cruise - return to airport at what time?

See if yu can check your luggage in early that way you will only have to go straight through as long as you have your boarding pass, if you have a booked a through flight then you may already be issued with a boarding pass. Sometimes if your baggage is checked through you have to stay in the transit lounge check with your carrier.

Mills River
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mamanuca Isl. 3 hr cruise - return to airport at what time?

Anybody used Sea Fiji for private charters out of Port Denerau, Nadi, Fiji? If so, I'd love a review...thanks!

10. Re: Mamanuca Isl. 3 hr cruise - return to airport at what time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 10:17